145 build questions

Posted: 9/18/2013 2:33:08 AM
Kanook

Hello,

I'm new to the Theremin world. I have never played one or built one but have been fascinated by both aspects. I've decided to jump in by building the 145 from Arts site. I chose this one because of its aesthetics and a relativly easy build. I do have electronics experience. My question is, does an aluminum ground plate and antenna need to be used or could I use a different metal like brass. I mainly build Steampunk art and gadgets and would like to take this Theremin build in that direction. 

Thanks for any info and help. 

Posted: 9/18/2013 4:08:57 AM
dewster

"My question is, does an aluminum ground plate and antenna need to be used or could I use a different metal like brass."  - Kanook

A capacitor plate really doesn't care what it's made of as long as it is reasonably conductive, the electrolyte is where all the action is.  (Rather analogous to coil winding metal and core material.)

And regarding the 145, that 150pf cap (+ calibration C!) in parallel with the pitch plate seems really excessive.  I personally can't imagine any scenario where I'd want to actually add anything to the geometric antenna capacitance (but I'm in search of maximum digital SNR so you probably shouldn't listen to me).

Have you considered building it inside of an owl?

Posted: 9/18/2013 5:53:34 AM
Kanook

Have you considered building it inside of an owl?

if it were Bubo from Clash of the Titans. 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.