The Future's So Bright.

Posted: 11/3/2013 12:20:37 AM
RoyP

Ok, so I was having a wee surf, looking for theremin stuff and came upon this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vestal-Theremin-VVTH002-Wayfarer-Sunglasses/dp/B00ELDMFMI/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1383437358&sr=8-19&keywords=theremin

Not only do I not see any connection with theremin(s) but for goodness sake, £71 for a pair of sunglasses that look like they've fallen out of a lucky bag!

Posted: 11/3/2013 8:14:13 PM
gtc

"£71 for a pair of sunglasses that look like they've fallen out of a lucky bag!"

And in this case, I'd say the bag was lucky to lose them.  :-)

Posted: 11/3/2013 11:59:58 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Why theremin? Perhaps theyr meant to make one have a "spy like" appearance?

Perhaps at £71 you were hoping they would reveal the theremin fields?  - Nah.. But for £71k I would try to build you a pair of those.. (no promises that I could ;-)

Posted: 11/4/2013 2:21:28 PM
RoyP

'And in this case, I'd say the bag was lucky to lose them.  :-)' - gtc

I should say so too! Mind you, I'm all for having glasses look like glasses instead of having ultra super waffffffer thin rimless glasses that try to pretend there is nothing there-Elvis Costello specials if you like :-)

Maybe I should get a pair of those after all...

'Perhaps at £71 you were hoping they would reveal the theremin fields?  - Nah.. But for £71k I would try to build you a pair of those.. (no promises that I could ;-)' - FredM

Fred, if I had a spare £71k kicking around I might just take you up on that challenge!

Posted: 1/31/2014 11:15:27 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Fred, if I had a spare £71k kicking around I might just take you up on that challenge!" - RoyP

LOL ;-) - It wouldnt be a good investment! - Been thinking about it and have an idea that might work, but probably more like £71k  just to get to theoretical proof of concept, then another £710k before any "viewing" scheme was fully evaluated, and probably a few million before a prototype product could be produced.

The idea depends on whether electrical (capacitive) fields have a physical force on atoms and molicules in the field - I suspect that the mobility of such atoms will be restricted marginally depending on field strength - If this is true, then detection of fields should be possible through lazer interferometry or something similar For example, make a loud probably untrasonic 'ping' and using lazer, plot the refraction with multiple photodetectors - any "constrained" molicules should resist the 'pings' wave more than less constrained molicules) ... I am detailing my thoughts because I know you are a engineer (chemistry) - Advice you gave privately on Magnetite was extremely useful! .. I suspect you may have better understanding of atomic behaviour of atoms in a field than I do..

But even if mobility is affected and detectable, proving this and quantifying it will take a lot of sophisticated equipment and expensive time.. £71k might do the first phase.. Actually turning this into a viewing system - anyones guess.. but simpler projects I have been involved with often ended up costing millions - often millions just for the research phase.

But I would happily accept £71k for phase one... ;-)

Fred. 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.