WANT TO BUY ETHERWAVE PRO

Posted: 8/28/2016 9:46:50 PM
dewster

"I can share knowledge with you that has stymied the engineering community for a long time. There are at least a half a dozen phenomenon about the theremin an engineer who only models will never find or recognize."  - Christopher

I think you're trying to have it both ways: 1. You say you aren't an engineer so by implication you are free to discover things engineers are blinded to because their fancy math tells them 2+2=5 and their formal schooling says the sun won't come up tomorrow.  But 2. you can't explain the things you discover because you aren't an engineer.

The thing about science / engineering is that it is the only common ground we have in which to discuss things that happen in reality.  Ideally, within this common ground you should be able to persuade reasonable people if / when you've found something worthy of further investigation / development / use.  If you don't want to go to the trouble of explaining things to those who might be able to help you the most, then you clearly at the most basic level don't care to see your work continue after you are done with it.  Nothing wrong with that if that's how you roll, but there is very little that is truly mysterious once it is examined closely.  Not saying reality can't be surprisingly multi-faceted and wondrous, however.

Simulation is necessarily a simplification of reality, or some small corner of it, which is both its strength and weakness.  Simulation can be an extremely powerful tool for understanding what is going on - it isn't the answer to everything but then no one ever said it was.  I often find the differences between simulation and reality quite insightful as I try to rationalize them.  And I don't know of any Theremin designers that exclusively use simulation to guide them, so I think that's a straw man.

Louis Pasteur said “chance favors only the prepared mind.”  How better to prepare one's self for the research and development of a Theremin than having some musical background, as well as a strong electronics background?  The more formal the better IMO, because exceedingly few important discoveries originate in the lay community these days.

Posted: 8/28/2016 10:16:57 PM
oldtemecula

dewster, that was very well thought out. It was you that shared something in a pencil sketch that was the revelation I had been waiting for... a long time. I have an idea I am working on this day which addresses analog control of linearity, a spin off of PWM but I do not have the proper electronic background to express it in words. My approach to designing is to greet 10,000 misses to find that one hit.

(((Big Hug)))

Christopher

Edit: to stay on topic, the original Epro had bad sound and worse volume control, what was the $10,000 appeal?

Posted: 8/29/2016 5:58:41 PM
GlassMan

The editor said, "to stay on topic, the original Epro had bad sound and worse volume control, what was the $10,000 appeal?"

So far, I have owned only one Epro theremin, so I cannot judge the sound and performance characteristics of other Epros, except for recordings I have from Amethyste (great work, Amethyste - really lovely!) and other artists which feature the Epro.

I started my theremin experience with an Epro.  I then moved to an Eplus. Then to a Theremax. Now I have a Theremini.  Soon I will have a Keppinger system.

So far, the Epro has both the best sound AND the best response, including volume control.  As for "the $10,000 appeal," I personally don't have it.  The $5000 that I paid seemed pretty pricey a year ago.  The test will be if anyone actually buys a $10,000 price tag, which seems greedy to me.

The Epro that I own is still down for repairs.  I hope that Moog can get it back into shape for me.  That, of course, will be another part of the continuing story.

Don't judge the Epro too harshly.  Personally, I think that it is a remarkable theremin.  I don't mean to offend the editor or anyone else on this website, and I am a newcomer here.  I like Theremin World a lot.  I see many bright, inventive minds here.  I am simply sharing a few of my own thoughts, like everyone else.

Keep up the good work, folks!

Jon

Posted: 8/29/2016 6:14:52 PM
oldtemecula

Jon the way we get stimulus around here is to upset someone. Here is me and dew on our fishing trip.

I am the guy on the left!   dew is picking his nose. surprised 

-

Posted: 8/31/2016 10:34:44 AM
GlassMan

Christopher,

You're the handsome one, but Dew has a smile to die for....a lemony smile. You look like you could use a fresh bone, putz...

My pro theremin prototype is coming along nicely.  Will post some pics soon.  The case is black walnut, and I'm building in a folded-horn speaker system driven by Fender amp components.  The guts are an Eplus, and I'm putting in odds and ends from some Boss pedal effects, with the knob controls all moved up to just under the Epro controls.  There is a volume pedal, with a reverb pedal on the left and a harmonizer pedal on the right.  I'm having a blast, but my shop is in  mayhem.....

I know, guys.  I am off topic and need to move into another forum thread.

Still waiting for word on my Epro.  (There, Mr. Editor - I ended "on topic"!)

Jon  (You don't want to see MY mug shot!)

Posted: 8/31/2016 1:41:52 PM
oldtemecula

Jon there is no Editor,

When Edit is at the bottom of a post it means the original poster has added to what he/she said. At TW there are about 4 active posters and 20 passerby's each day. I started adding pictures because to outsiders we must look like a really boring bunch with no humor. We may even seem scary. surprised

Since the introduction of the Smart Phone, conversations became dumb and have dwindled because it takes more effort than a PC to express anything with substance.

I am currently stuffing a 4-layer pc-board and if it works you might want to add it to your home brew pro design.

Christopher

Posted: 8/31/2016 6:53:32 PM
GlassMan

Hi Christopher!  Tell me some more about your layered pc board.  Also, I'm expecting a full set of Keppinger components, to build into one of my self-contained theremins.  Any suggestions for getting the most out of it?  I'll be posting in some of the other forum threads, including design/building, so look for me there.

Do you have any mods for getting more of a human-voice effect?  I watched one of the videos on your website that show a theremin being played, which sounds like a man singing.  But I thought it might have been a mock-up, or just an effect.

Jon

Posted: 8/31/2016 9:22:00 PM
oldtemecula

Jon, most people view TW from this link, it displays all forums. 

http://thereminworld.com/forums/recent

It is good to post in the proper forum for a subject but they all appear in this same place.

It is still 4 active posters, no extra people in other forums.

I will be posting a picture of my stuffed 4-layer board mounted in a EWS today or tomorrow, I have this fear with my mood disorder that if I can not get it to work properly my theremin journey will be finished.

Christopher

Posted: 8/31/2016 10:18:33 PM
dewster

"I will be posting a picture of my stuffed 4-layer board mounted in a EWS today or tomorrow, I have this fear with my mood disorder that if I can not get it to work properly my theremin journey will be finished."  - Christopher

OT/TMI: I get this too.  I combat it by spending so much time up-front making sure things will work that I rarely run into a brick wall (it helps that I really enjoy understanding things and nailing them down).  I learned several things from a very wise co-worker ("Joe" - love ya man!): 1. Only change one thing at a time, as too many things changing can and will combinatorially explode, leaving one playing the guessing game for days / weeks.  2. When things are going well and it's time knock-off for the day, declare victory and relax until the morrow - further testing is just asking for it.  3. When something is going wrong, "it's always something stupid" - truer words were never spoken.

(B12 and a multi-vitamin have helped my mood noticeably - and lately I'm avoiding NSAIDs which can profoundly affect mood in some, something that should definitely be on the frickin' label.  YMMV.)

Posted: 9/1/2016 9:55:00 AM
GlassMan

Accidentally destroyed a Boss delay pedal today.  Oh well.  I wasn't totally satisfied with it.  I was going to build it into my "Aria" pro theremin (my prototype self-contained model).  It was destiny...I went shopping and discovered the Harmonix talking machine pedal and the Holy Grail Max reverb.  Will be building these in instead, along with a Boss harmonizer and volume pedal.  The completed theremin will be capable of very realistic human voice effects, including harmony.  Built-in sound system and futuristic-looking cabinet in black walnut.  Will post some pics in the coming weeks.

Still waiting to hear back from Moog on my Epro, in for repairs.

Jon

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.