Greetings, gots an idea maybe

Posted: 1/8/2014 2:12:34 PM
TheIMUman

"Dewster is from a distant planet ... :)"

It's an advanced civilization for sure, where improvements are plentiful. 

Me, I come from a line of technology scavengers and pirates where dumpster diving for parts is considered a skill and function over asthetics steers our efforts.  My people learn fast, but fully original works and innovation are rare.  We modify and adapt, but still rely on higher beings for advancement.

Amethyste - I enjoy your Theremining, BTW.     

Posted: 1/8/2014 8:24:08 PM
Amethyste

TheIMUman wrote: "Amethyste - I enjoy your Theremining, BTW."

Really? It is not awesome but it's getting there. you found these marvels on YT or Facebook?

Thank you for the nice comment, it is nice to know :) I appreciate it!

Posted: 1/8/2014 9:03:56 PM
TheIMUman

"Really? It is not awesome but it's getting there. you found these marvels on YT or Facebook?

Thank you for the nice comment, it is nice to know :) I appreciate it!"

The first one I heard was on YT, got there by random clicking.  Then I found this site and heard some more and realized I had heard you before.  Consider yourself one of the reasons I got interested in this instrument and even theremin-esque instruments.   

Posted: 1/8/2014 9:52:45 PM
Amethyste

wow... I am really touched! that is nice of you to say! I hope you enjoy learning  this instrument! It does leave you mad at times, but there is not one day I regret playing and choosing it. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I aim to please. :) <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Really? It is not awesome but it's getting there. you found these marvels on YT or Facebook?

Thank you for the nice comment, it is nice to know :) I appreciate it!"

The first one I heard was on YT, got there by random clicking.  Then I found this site and heard some more and realized I had heard you before.  Consider yourself one of the reasons I got interested in this instrument and even theremin-esque instruments.   

Posted: 1/9/2014 4:27:44 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Dewster is from a distant planet ... :)"

Its really interesting to see that, even in the trekkie future, the biological (and perhaps auditary) limitations on humans still seem to apply...

Yeah, that was a reasonabley good rendition of the Star Trek theme (and I too must be from a distant planet - I had never seen that video before! - and its a great video ;-) - But I note that the entire concentration was on pitch control - the volume hand was doing virtually nothing! (it didnt need to do anything - no real dynamics required for the theremin part of that piece) - and even with this advantage, pitch was not perfect (or at least not to my ears - JUST good enough though - borderline IMO).

Makes me even more inclined to think that Pringle guy, playing those Vulcan tunes perfectly (to my ears anyway), is from some distant planet ;-) ... Perhaps at TW, saying someone is from a distant planet is a great compliment! ;-)

Fred.

To me, This could easily be from a distant planet - There are a few places [2:38 and at the end in particular] where the harps pitch is changed on its wheel, and the theremin tracks it perfectly - but even without that, the ability to shift the whole harp chord and return it to its pitch without overshoot or any noticable correction - WOW! - I love this piece!

Posted: 1/9/2014 5:28:40 AM
TheIMUman

Somebody is messing with my warp drive - It won't play.

That gives me a chance to let Fred know that I emailed the Theremino designers and got a Yes answer on PWM as input on their Master device.  They liked the idea too and welcomed more questions. 

Here's a shot of the basic display(not my program) of my IMU.  I'm waiting on my PhD from Cracker Jacks - I had a choice between that or a little plastic sailor and dog toy.  I sent that box top in years ago.  Hope they didn't forget.

Cube  

Posted: 1/9/2014 5:49:37 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

" I emailed the Theremino designers and got a Yes answer on PWM as input on their Master device."

Thats what the Capsense boards provide, as I understand it - so it seemed like a possible solution...

What you may need though is probably details about what the Capsense board gives (PWM Frequency, any syncronisation or whatever) - The ideal would be to go in with signals the same as the capsense board would give, as this should allow the software to behave exactly like it would for a capsense input (the board doesnt care whats providing the PWM - it cant tell the difference between PWM from capsense or PWM from a joystick, as long as its PWM within the bounds it can deal with)

Fred.

ps .. the square above doesnt work - pressing N did nothing! ;-)

Posted: 1/9/2014 9:15:09 AM
TheIMUman

try pressing "h", ha, ha.  Luigi their engineer said it should work like their accelerometer example and only said have it sample 500 per second.  He also said the alternative is to write an application that accesses the "slots" in memory.  I see I can set the Max ms and the rate in their software.  I just have to wait to try it.

Come on Cracker Jacks. ;-)   

Posted: 1/9/2014 2:42:26 PM
dewster

"To me, This could easily be from a distant planet - There are a few places [2:38 and at the end in particular] where the harps pitch is changed on its wheel, and the theremin tracks it perfectly - but even without that, the ability to shift the whole harp chord and return it to its pitch without overshoot or any noticable correction - WOW! - I love this piece!"  - FredM

Holy smokes!  Where in the hell did that gorgeous Vulcan harp come from?  PP you are a constant amazement!

Posted: 1/10/2014 1:18:34 AM
FredM

"Where in the hell did that gorgeous Vulcan harp come from? " - Dewster

http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/27706/theremin-and-vulcan-harp

Also, from YT:

This is called THE KATRIC ARK and it is one of a series of 12 compositions for Vulcan harp and theremin. Since the Vulcan harp was introduced by artist and visionary Wah Ming Chang more than 40 years ago, it has evolved considerably, along with the technology involved with its manufacture. It is acoustic, electroacoustic and electronic (it is the electronic component that permits such things as the playing of complex harmonies, glide pitch shifts, etc.).

As a sculptor, Chang molded the instrument to fit the human body, and it is great to hold because it is so wonderfully ergonomic. This particular harp has 26 strings (copper, brass and silver) and is played with finger picks. There are no steel strings and the instrument does not use magnetic pickups like electric guitars. It also does not need to be plugged into anything so there are no annoying cables to get in the way. It transmits directly to its amplifier and speakers by means of an antenna integrated into the pin column (the extended curved vertical arm that holds the tuning pins). The two speakers you see in the video are
JBL
JRX-125 monitors.

As a concept, the characteristics of "Vulcan music" are determined by the remarkable capabilities of the Vulcan harp which include many of the possibilities of the classical instruments of India. The sound of the Vulcan harp has been described as a combination of harp, lute, violin and sitar. If you add to this everything that is possible with the use of the shift disc and the harmonic valves (the seven button controls - one for each note of the diatonic scale - riding above the brass plate) you have an extraordinary number of combinations that can be explored. The harmonic valves are all level-sensitive (each responds to three degrees of left hand finger pressure applied to them: touch, half, and full) and this determines the harmony applied to the vibrating strings. Octave displacement is played by multiple valve configurations depending on the register in which the harpist wants to play.

There is also a "tapper control" incorporated into the Vulcan harp for generating complex polyrhythms but it is not used in this particular composition. The "tapper" is the knob that sits just behind the lowest bass strings on the upper edge of the instrument facing the harpist. It can be silently programmed just before a piece is played by drumming the fingers of the left hand on the knob in the exact rhythm combination you want to hear applied to your sound once you begin to play. The instrument will loop the rhythm continuously throughout the piece (or until you squelch it).

The theremin in this video is the 1929 RCA that once belonged to Hollywood thereminist Dr. Samuel Hoffman. It was used by Dr. Hoffman on the soundtracks of many classic science fiction films of the 1950's, so I thought it would be appropriate to use it here. If you are curious about this 1929 theremin, I am featured in the 20TH CENTURY
FOX 2-disc DVD "special edition" of the re-issue of the original 1951 science fiction masterpiece, THE DAY
THE EARTH STOOD STILL. There are already several videos on YouTube of me playing this instrument (and some from the 1950's of Dr. Hoffman as well) so after the solo theremin section at the beginning of the composition, I concentrated entirely on showing the Vulcan harp. There are very few Vulcan harps in the world and even fewer musicians who can actually play them, so I thought people might might like to see it.

PLEASE NOTE: the recording of this composition was done directly to a Roland VS-2400CD. There were no FX added to the instruments other than the usual EQ and a small amount of reverb. No peripherals, no MIDI modules, overdubs or computers were used at any time in the recording process.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.