Need guidelines for making ckt board

Posted: 2/25/2014 9:09:11 PM
Thierry

Since I'm not into forensics I can't tell what really happened inside the components. That's also why I never said that the yaewsbm was the cause of the problem. Perhaps this module was just unfortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or it had a fault which was not obvious. We'll most probably never know...

ESD is a pain. I've actually an Etherwave Pro on my workbench which was mute after a spark while the owner touching the volume loop. The obvious problem, a defective diode and a transistor in the volume detector circuit, is fixed but the pitch PCB which normally shouldn't be affected has still sporadic and temperature dependent issues...

Posted: 2/25/2014 9:40:04 PM
dewster

"ESD is a pain. I've actually an Etherwave Pro on my workbench which was mute after a spark while the owner touching the volume loop."

And there is Sarah's popped Subscope over at levnet.  ESD is the dirty little secret of solid state Theremins.

Thierry: FredM tells me has not done extensive testing of the Bourns parts being discussed, and none with anything other than his own circuits, having mainly used Neon bulbs until now.  I'd post that clarifying info over at levnet myself but I'm not a member.

Posted: 2/25/2014 11:03:23 PM
Thierry

So I will clarify that on levnet, ok. I had read FredM's postings about ESD here on TW in many discussion threads and had understood that he used these Bourns things himself and that he suggested using these in general, thus I wrote that on levnet (including his name as the source since I didn't want to adorn myself with borrowed plumes).

If it's wrong, it must be corrected.

Edit (13 minutes later): done!

Posted: 2/27/2014 2:23:41 PM
Thierry

At least it is clear now why my English is not always accepted, seen where I learnt it: :-)))))

Posted: 3/12/2014 5:25:36 PM
Blala

Hello again! Before I send my circuit for printing, I would like to know if I can replace the front Cu layer with cables (to reduce the printing cost). I have some connections there, that i couldn't fit them on the back layer. Will that have a big impact on the circuits function?

One last question: the capacitors C10, C11, C29 and C30 are polarized on the "Hot-rodding your Etherwave" layout, but on the schematic they appear to be simple capacitors. Can I replace them with simple ceramic capacitors? If not, how should they be put on the circuit?

Posted: 3/13/2014 4:47:23 PM
wannes_dn

Hello again! Before I send my circuit for printing, I would like to know if I can replace the front Cu layer with cables (to reduce the printing cost). I have some connections there, that i couldn't fit them on the back layer. Will that have a big impact on the circuits function?

Using air wires instead of the front layer is perfectly ok.

Posted: 3/24/2017 4:26:15 PM
ysach

Hello, I have some question. In volume oscillator i have -0.0625V (must be +0.2V), in others oscilators voltage is ok (about -0.6V). Where the problem could be?  

Posted: 11/28/2017 8:23:14 PM
Luca

Hi everyone, and excuse the intrusion. My name is luca, I'm Italian and I'm trying to build my Etherwave plus theremin. Can anyone help me and tell where I can find a pcb clone of the original model that works fine? I also searched for the pcb for volumetric and pitch and gate outputs. Please help me! I know theremin will give me so much satisfaction.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.