Netiquette & Protocols

Posted: 2/21/2014 9:54:33 PM
RS Theremin

Hello Everyone,

I find this thread fascinating as there is no etiquette in the world of theremin, I have been screamed at, if words can scream, the past five years because I see theremin things differently.

The theremin attracts the extreme so I have concluded screaming is encouragement, OORAH.

If I was to take a vacation it would be near Cedar Hill.

holo stick around, I also say welcome to Theremin World.

Christopher

Posted: 2/23/2014 10:33:12 AM
GordonC

You have made my day, holophrastic. For real? They let you scream and shout, bully and bluster for three solid hours before taking your money? Wow. When I was working we had our own ways of torturing annoying customers, but that is classic. Trust me, you didn't win.

Here, let me tell you about an incident I was involved in last year. You should know that I am medically retired. The relevant part is that while I am mostly pretty mobile, there are circumstances when I benefit from the use of a wheelchair. Airports are one such place - it's the standing in line that my legs object to.

As it happens, the party in front of us in the check-in queue at Tangier Ibn Battouta Airport were in a similar situation. The matriarch of the family took control of the situation. She knew, as you do, that if you kick up a big enough fuss, things will happen. She did not accept the check-in clerk's explanation that the man who takes care of disabled travellers was busy and please could she take a seat. And sure enough, after fifteen minutes of yelling and screaming, a wheelchair appeared. She had won. Imagine how smugly she rolled to the customs queue. 

My time dealing with arseholes on a daily basis had taught me a different lesson. I knew that a simple human connection is all it takes. So I looked the clerk in the eye, nodded towards the departing wheelchair and shook my head glumly. I knew just how the clerk felt, and I let her know it. She explained that the man who takes care of disabled customers was busy and please could I take a seat. I took a seat. We had checked in; the plane wouldn't leave without us. Fifteen placid minutes later, a motorised buggy arrived, complete with the man who takes care of disabled customers. We all sat on it and glided past all the queues that lay between us and our airplane.

We also glided past shouty-lady. As she diminished in the rear view mirror I heard her shouting, to no-one in particular, "How the **** did they get a ***ing buggy! It's ****ing discrimination! I want the ****ing manager! Now!"

Posted: 2/23/2014 3:35:58 PM
GordonC

I saw your bug, Christopher. 

I wouldn't trust IP addresses too much, incidentally. Mine leaps all over the place. For the last three weeks Google has been convinced I live in France. C'est la vie.

Posted: 2/23/2014 3:49:15 PM
RS Theremin

That bug is called a cicada which believe it or not "points the way" to the theremin sound that would get Clara Rockmore's attention. Some that do practical hands on research and not strictly models knows what I am talking about.

For many years I asked what creates the fat enriched theremin sound, it can not be seen on an oscilloscope when it occurs so how would it ever be recognized in modeling where it is only a ghost?

The swarm in the last version of The Day the Earth Stood Still also reminded me of the cicada bug.

Christopher

Posted: 2/23/2014 5:06:06 PM
Amethyste

What creates the sound of the theremin is very easy: it comes from the thereminist's skilled hands, heart and soul. Doesn't matter where the theremin comes from...

............................................................................................................

For many years I asked what creates the fat enriched theremin sound, it can not be seen on an oscilloscope when it occurs so how would it ever be recognized in modeling where it is only a ghost?

The swarm in the last version of The Day the Earth Stood Still also reminded me of the cicada bug.

Christopher

Posted: 2/23/2014 6:40:32 PM
dewster

"That bug is called a cicada which believe it or not "points the way" to the theremin sound that would get Clara Rockmore's attention. Anyone that does practical hands on research and not strictly models knows what I am talking about."  - RS Theremin

Let me guess: you're making tiny cicada shaped Theremins?  If so, how will you keep Sphecius speciosus from paralyzing, depositing eggs on, and burying them?

Posted: 2/23/2014 7:02:13 PM
RS Theremin

Oh dewster you can run but you can't hide, as I have said before "I still have faith in you".

You are part of the grand scheme of things.

Christopher

Posted: 2/23/2014 7:39:38 PM
dewster

"...you can run but you can't hide..."

Yes, I unfortunately gazed upon your cicada pic, and now you have my IP address.

Posted: 2/23/2014 8:24:17 PM
RS Theremin

You know better than most there is nothing unfortunate here? What I hope is the casual visitor realizes that "every" website they visit "they" give them their drivers license (IP address) so they can send the webpage info back. Nothing new but most people for some reason are in dark in this area. There is no sneaking around on the web, everyone is watched, that is the way it has always been.

dew - I wish I had the verbal skills and confidence to talk to you as there is much I want to share, it is not time yet, not yet!

Christopher

Posted: 2/23/2014 8:49:20 PM
Amethyste

... And it also helps us realize that everyone is bonkers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RS Theremin wrote: "There is no sneaking around on the web, everyone is watched, that is the way it has always been."

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.