Vintage Theremin ID?

Posted: 3/16/2014 8:01:22 PM
spaceboyzoom

Hello. I'm assuming this is an R.A. Moog circa 1958 (based on the cabinet and chassis numbers 5803). Any additional thoughts? I purchased this years ago and it's been sitting in it's original case in my music room ever since. 

I posted multiple details shots in my profile. Thanks.

http://www.thereminworld.com/PhotoAlbums/By/spaceboyzoom

Posted: 3/18/2014 4:38:14 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Great shots of a really interesting theremin ! - does it play?

As for what it is - well, I havent seen anything like it before.. Perhaps you could contact the Moog Foundation and send them pgotos or a link to yours here.

I would love to see a shot of whats inside under the chassis..

Fred.

Posted: 3/19/2014 4:13:59 PM
spaceboyzoom

Hey Fred,

It does not play - the dry cell batteries are the issue and need to be replaced or upgraded. I haven't wanted to monkey with this since it's still in it's original state though.

Posted: 3/19/2014 4:53:02 PM
RS Theremin

Hello Space,

I think you are correct in keeping your theremin in original pristine condition as this has more value for a collector than a playable instrument. The enjoyment I find in theremin research is touching the past with early electronics.

The batteries are a very nice touch, make sure they don't leak out and destroy things.

Christopher

Posted: 3/19/2014 5:25:22 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"It does not play - the dry cell batteries are the issue and need to be replaced or upgraded. I haven't wanted to monkey with this since it's still in it's original state though."  - spaceboy

I think this is really sad. Instruments like this shouldnt be sitting in some box degenirating IMO, they should be restored and PLAYED!

What do you think a dead theremin with dead batteries and dead electrolytics will be worth in a few years ?

Once again, I completely disagree with Christopher here - Ok, he may be giving advice that is slightly better from an investment perspective (but only MIGHT) - But for anyone who loves musical  instruments the idea of some instrument degenirating unplayed as a collectectors item is mildly offensive.

Fred

Posted: 3/19/2014 5:48:13 PM
spaceboyzoom

Hey Fred and Christopher!

Thanks for the responses!!

I'm actually on both sides on this one. I've had this in my music room closet for nearly 10 years now and I decided in January to get it out and have it restored/updated to working order so I could play it...BUT after review, I think this will probably be more of a display/museum piece since it is all original. I own several other theremins that I play (and take on the road) including an etherwave pro and I'd hate to convert this.

It's been sitting in it's custom accordion case for nearly 55 years. The batteries are starting to bulge a bit and will have to be pulled out at some point, but I've been keeping eyes on it.

I've reached out to both the Moog Archive and the foundation to try and find out any additional info on this one. 

Posted: 3/19/2014 8:41:29 PM
FredM

Hi Spaceboy -

I think the best would be if you could get the instrument playable without doing any major modifications or whatever..

The most likely components that will need to to be changed are electrolytic capacitors - I wouldnt even power the theremin up until these have been inspected / replaced. You could remove the guts from the batteries to retain their shells, protect these with epoxy or whatever, and have space inside to fit available / accessible Lithium cells.

If this instrument has germanium or early silicon transistors, it is possible that dopant in these will have migrated over the 55 years, and these will be dysfunctional or semi-functional, and will need replacing - Personally I would test these transistors before applying power.

But obtaining some information from Moog, if this is available, is a wise first step IMO.

I think that a working instrument is likely to be more valuable than a dead one, even if a few components have been replaced - Clara Rockmore's theremin was brought back to Life by Bob Moog, and I suspect its even more priceless because it works than it would be if it was just a dysfunctional museum piece.

Fred.

Posted: 3/19/2014 11:02:29 PM
dewster

"The batteries are starting to bulge a bit and will have to be pulled out at some point, but I've been keeping eyes on it."  - spaceboyzoom

Good god man, keep them somewhere else if you must, but yank those things out now before they leak and corrode everything!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.