Newbie Needing help with a fairly simple part of a song

Posted: 5/3/2014 12:16:05 AM
Ken Swagger

Hi all! I'm a longtime theremin fan whose long-term borrowing a friends Moog Etherwave and Boss DD-5 delay pedal. I'me trying to figure out how to best approximate Kim Deals "ooh-ooh" parts in the Pixies song Where is My Mind for a one-off gig with some friends (it's a Pixies cover night with a bunch of acts Doing one song a piece. I know I've got it sounding rather similar before, but as a brand new beginner am having problems with even the most basic settings. Any suggestions for how to set everything up to best match the weird two-note vocal part in this song:

http://youtu.be/qrdpliMfoAM

Posted: 5/3/2014 12:46:55 AM
RS Theremin

Ken,

Just saying hello here, I swore forty years ago I would move to Paradise up the hill from you when I retired but got stuck down here near the Pechanga Reservation. I remember those pine trees so thick you could barely navigate through them. Maybe my next life. If you develop your classical theremin playing skills remember me in the future, I may have a theremin design that is cherished by many, if not already. (-'

As a hippie I loved the community of Sterling!

Christopher

Posted: 5/3/2014 1:27:55 AM
Ken Swagger

Hi Christopher, thanks for the warm welcome. Oddly enough, I moved here from San Diego 5 years ago. I have a lot of family right near you, in Temecula, Murrietta and Fallbrook area, and have actually spent a lot of time there myself. Paradise is still quite lovely, as is Sterling City. 

Posted: 5/3/2014 4:07:14 PM
RS Theremin

Hello Ken,

I tried to isolate what I think you are talking about in the music, the weird two-note vocal part. I have no musical ability but I can speculate. I think you want a more vocal sound of the classic theremin and want to avoid the modern digital whistle sound, like “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly”.

The Sound Byte of Interest

I wonder what method the musicians’ here think is creating the sound. I know the theremin so well it would always be my last choice, especially if it is for two notes on pitch. A pre-recorded theremin sound byte would make things more controllable.

PS: The theremin group has become so thin worldwide, most conversations these days are just burnt out old men telling fish stories. (-‘  Me too!

Christopher

Edit: This has some similarity to your spooky sound. When I began my theremin research I created this very analog Original Sound from scratch using a speaker in a metal bucket, it is one of a kind and I could not do it again, too much trouble.  It was so terrifying, what was revealed, I almost abandoned my work. The theremin has so much to offer in the analog realm like channeling Spirits! (-'

Posted: 5/4/2014 12:34:38 AM
Ken Swagger

Thanks so much, isolating that clip helped a whole lot. That other clip is awesome, gave my girlfriend chills, in a good way.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.