Grounding issue when touching pedals

Posted: 5/6/2014 7:53:12 PM
Himtroy

Has anyone else run into this problem: Whenever I touch any of my pedals it massively increases the field range thus making the pitch I'm holding much higher.  It goes back to normal the moment I take my foot off the pedal (thus creating a siren like noise if I am to take my foot on and off the pedal quickly).  The same thing happens when I touch the metal part of my cord on either the amp end or theremin end of the chord (as well as if I touch either jack).  I'm starting to wonder if I have a faulty theremin.  It is an etherwave standard.  I've also been told that this lack of grounding could be making the instrument even less linear and responsive, does anyone know if this is true?   

I really want to use my loop pedal with my theremin as I used to be really into making soundscapes on guitar, but unfortunately can't play guitar anymore. 

Thank you, Troy

Posted: 5/6/2014 8:16:50 PM
RS Theremin

Hello Troy,

Don't over think it, what you describe is how all theremins respond. If your friend is an engineer keep him away from your fine instrument. Are you in the States, other countries are not as well grounded which makes them drive on the wrong side of the road. (-'

Christopher

Edit: The pitch moving around when you directly touch a metallic object is normal. Touching a pedal should not be an issue unless you are barefoot or have sweaty feet? You never answered my first question, are you plugging three prongs into the wall socket? The EWS normally works this way and that is what you say you have.

Posted: 5/7/2014 8:27:54 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Troy,

This is the 3rd thread  you have created and posed this same question!

Have you tried any of the suggestions we have made?

Fred.

" I've also been told that this lack of grounding could be making the instrument even less linear and responsive, does anyone know if this is true? "

YES! IT IS TRUE!

Read the postings about grounding, spend the time it takes to UNDERSTAND how theremins work, IGNORE hobbyists with fancy websites who tell you to keep engineers away! - The theremin is a product of science and engineering, not something given by mystical or divine revelation!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.