Space Funk With Theremin

Posted: 8/3/2014 5:43:14 PM
GregMelchin

Hi

I've been following this page for a while and decided to finally create an account. My name's Greg, and I'm from Halifax, Canada, and play in a space funk band called Unidentified Funk Object. We wear sci-fi costumes and the songs are about aliens and such. Here's one of our songs, which is about a UFO incident in my home province of Nova Scotia, and features a theremin/vocal duel at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vCXsxTku-A

I'm not the world's greatest theremin player - Clara would not be impressed with my playing at all - but I feel like there's something to be said for exploring the potential of the theremin just to make crazy otherworldly sounds rather than trying to play it like a conventional instrument. Part of it has developed from context - my band is usually crammed onto a small stage with mic stands everywhere and iffy sound on stage, so trying to play complex music on the theremin isn't usually an option. So, while I don't want to be one of those guys like Jimmy Page who uses the theremin purely as a novelty, so many of us have grown up associating the theremin with the eerie, otherworldly sounds of classic science fiction, and I think trying to evoke that retro-futuristic vibe is a way of honouring the theremin's history.

I play the theremin through a Roland Cube guitar amp, with overdrive, compression, flanger and delay laid on thick. Hope you enjoy!

Posted: 8/3/2014 10:41:12 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Hi Greg,

I loved it! ;-) It was fun - I liked the theremins parts too - IMO, it really fitted the 'vibe' .. Ok - probably no one will take me seriously (not that I think anyone ever did ;-) now that iv'e 'endorsed' such 'frivolous' use of this great instrument - but I have a feeling that a young Lev would probably have been bopping to this funk!

Welcome to TW!

Fred.

Just been listening to your stuff on you-tube. Ive been on a real downer lately, and music wasn't lifting me like it usually does.. Then out of the blue, Amey sent me an MP3 yesterday which just 'resonated' and lifted me - and now your music - completely not the stuff I usually listen to - well, its all really great.. Hey, ive been going 'round and 'round in my orbit - Thanks for bumping my trajectory !

Posted: 8/4/2014 6:29:35 AM
GordonC

I agree with Fred. It fits well. I bet you could do some really funky things with a theremini. :-)

Posted: 8/4/2014 8:46:07 PM
dewster

Shagadelic baby, yeah!

I wish I could trade places with you Greg, Nova Scotia is a gorgeous place!

Great song & video, thanks for posting the link!  (Embeded below)

From http://www.ufocasebook.com/Shagharbor.html:

"Coincidently, RCMP Constable Ron Pound had already witnessed the strange lights himself as he drove down Highway 3 in route to Shag Harbor."

<snip>

"The Shag Harbor incident would have new life breathed into it through the efforts of MUFON investigator Chris Styles."

Shag Harbor, Constable Pound, MUFON - more double entendres than you can shake a stick at (so to speak).

Posted: 8/5/2014 8:52:27 AM
RoyP

I like it a lot!

The theremin wobbly bits work well and the brass just won me over :-)

Oh, and funky to boot!

Posted: 8/5/2014 9:36:25 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Shag Harbor, Constable Pound, MUFON - more double entendres than you can shake a stick at (so to speak)." - Dewster

Better beware making statements like that! - Captain Pugwash was sailing near Shag at the time.. You REALLY wouldnt want a crowd of ETs in suits to come after you, would you?   ;-)

"There is a persistent urban legend, repeated by the now defunct UK newspaper the Sunday Correspondent, that ascribes sexually suggestive names – such as Master Bates, Seaman Staines, and Roger the Cabin Boy – to Captain Pugwash's characters, and indicating that the captain's name was a slang Australian term for oral x. John Ryan successfully sued both the Sunday Correspondent and The Guardian newspapers in 1991 for printing this legend as fact."

Suits! - they're all bloody ET's IMO, A sub-species of humanity, or perhaps from some ET "civilization" more extreme than the Ferengi .. Bank Managers, Solicitors, Estate agents.. "for printing this legend as fact." - "legend"?? "Fact" ?? What F*ing planet....... I would love to have heard the legal arguments, LOL ;-)...

"No your honor, there was absolutely nothing dirty in my mind, either consciously or unconsciously, when I picked those names, I have absolutely no idea what 'Master Bates ion' is or what could possibly be questionable about the name 'Seaman Staines' - Why, there's a suburb of London called Staines, is that vulgar ? I am an innocent Catholic, I was educated in a Catholic boys School, and I have no idea at all how these anchors can bonk up such pugwash! "

Posted: 8/6/2014 11:04:10 PM
GregMelchin

Glad you liked it! Thanks for listening. @Fred: And glad to hear that the funk got you out of your funk. @Dewster: Yeah the double entendres are too perfect. @Gordon: I saw the demo for the theremini and have been scheming about how to get one. Soon.

Posted: 8/6/2014 11:16:44 PM
FredM

"I saw the demo for the theremini and have been scheming about how to get one. Soon." - Greg

Nah! - You actually control your theremin musically - the theremini isn't a theremin, its a capacitive sensing toy! - the only use for it is a crash dive into Shag harbour! (might even produce some yellow foam ;-)

see the last post on this page.

Fred.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.