Metal - There was a warning on my new B3 theremin

Posted: 12/29/2014 8:05:04 PM
TempesT

There was a warning on my new Burns B3 Theremin that told me to keep it away from working computers and metal objects. It was not very specific, so I was hoping that someone could clarify just what that means. My two most convenient places I could put it are next to my computer or in my room (and I have a bed frame made entirely of metal). Also, what would the damage be if a theremin was exposed for a length of time to metal?
Thanks for any feedback.

Posted: 12/29/2014 8:14:26 PM
Thierry

Metal influences strongly the fields around the pitch and volume antennas up to a distance of 2m/6ft.

That's why you should set up your theremin on a microphone stand (that metal below is taken into account by the circuit designer) and create a free space with a radius of at least 1.5m/4.5ft which equals to a diameter of 3m/9ft around.

Setting up a theremin in a small bedroom is not a good idea, the living room or, still better, a dedicated music room is strongly recommended. Please think of setting it up more than 1.5m away from the grand piano because of its metal frame.

Posted: 12/29/2014 9:57:32 PM
dewster

I've noticed my LCD monitor influencing my Theremin circuits somewhat, the frequency can jump a little when the screen image changes.  Nearby metal adds capacitance so you might have to retune it if it is within 1.5m or so (as Thierry notes) and having significant metal inside 1m or may significantly alter the response. 

Neither of these things will damage your Theremin.

Posted: 12/30/2014 7:48:24 PM
TempesT

Ok, thank you all. This is good information to have. Do you have suggestions for how I'd go about recording the theremin into a DAW on my computer?

Posted: 12/30/2014 8:45:26 PM
Thierry

Recording??? First thing is normally that you learn to play this damn thing correctly, which takes years. Then, you might think about recording. In ever case, direct recording of the audio output into the computer is not a good idea. The sound will become cold and harsh and get rf transients from the computer.

Best is to play the theremin through an active studio near field monitor speaker (I've tested the Yamaha MSP-3 and the Yamaha MSP-5 for that purpose with success) and to record it with a dynamic microphone which is optimized for the human voice. The result will be a warm and "true" theremin sound, at least from the moment when you master the instrument.

Posted: 12/30/2014 8:51:56 PM
dewster

Can't you just line-in to the soundcard?  If you can't then get something USB and cheap like the Behringer UCA202 or UCA222.

If you are looking for some nice PC recording software I recommend Adobe Audition 3.0 (~free).

Posted: 12/31/2014 12:48:38 AM
TempesT

Okay, okay! I was only curious for when I get that far! I got a theremin because I really liked the way it sounded and thought it would go well with my music, and was only wondering how I'd ever actually be able to put it there if it can't go 6 feet near a computer. And thank you dewster and to the constructively critical part's of Thierry's post. I'll be sure to keep that in mind. As it stands, there's almost always someone else in the living room, the only room that I could really play the theremin in, so I'll only be able to practice maybe once a week if I'm lucky. I guess I'll be more careful about what instruments I choose next time. Perhaps something more practical, like an electronic drum kit or something (so I don't drive everyone insane).
Thank you all, anyway.

Posted: 12/31/2014 2:39:16 AM
dewster

TempesT, I suggest you set up your Theremin wherever you can practice the most.  With some experience you'll soon be able to tell if things in the environment are too close etc.  Some Theremins have metallic cases so metal isn't like Kryptonite or anything (though the circuits in those are likely adjusted / designed to compensate).  Thierry says that your Theremin doesn't have an EQ coil so moderate environmental capacitance will probably only transpose it down somewhat. 

And by all means get some experience recording it, it might help you improve your playing, and if/when you decide to do serious recording you will already have that under your belt.  Some Theremins don't filter the output very well and can cause aliasing with sound cards.  An isolation transformer might help that.  There are plenty of people here who record that can help you if you have problems.

Posted: 12/31/2014 4:57:21 AM
TempesT

Alright. Thanks a lot, I'll be sure to take heed of that advice. In hindsight I think I was exaggerating at how little time I'd have available, so I'll get out there to practice as much as I can. As for recording, I'm sure I'll find a way.

Posted: 1/14/2015 3:47:02 AM
IanMcCormick

I'm saving up for my first theremin now, and this thread has given me some food for thought regarding just where there can be effective space for a theremin in an apartment.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.