Theremin CD recommendations

Posted: 1/11/2015 11:57:10 PM
RoyP

Ian, given your theremin music preferences, might I suggest Thomas Grillo's - Secret Agents From the ID.

Roy

Posted: 1/12/2015 5:13:56 AM
IanMcCormick

RokitMan said:

And Ian. Along with the other thereminists mentioned, I would also suggest you listen to these very accomplished players.

Clara Rockmore... of course

Lidia Kavina

Pamelia Kurstin

Dorit Chrysler and

Thomas Grillo to name a few.

You might also come over to the LevNet on FaceBook group. Lots of talented and knowledgeable people there. Welcome to the fascinating world of the theremin. There's plenty of room for all. Just grow a think skin... you'll be fine.

Thank you for the names of these artists to sample and learn about!  I look forward to giving them all a listen.  And you've piqued my interest as to the LevNet group and I may check that out as well, as I have a Facebook account.

senior_falcon said:

One CD to consider is "Time Slips Away" by Takeuchi Masami.  Available from CD Baby and you can listen to sound samples before buying.  

Another one that I really like is unfortunately no longer available.  "Many Voices" by our very own Peter Pringle (aka Coalport).  Perhaps if you beg hard enough he would make a copy available for you.

Going about Youtube I have definitely come across Peter Pringle's Theremin music.  Truly, I see why a number of people place him in the same class of virtuoso of the instrument as Clara Rockmore!  And you'd better believe that I did some internet digging and also checked out Ebay to find either his "Many Voices" or "A Theremin Jewel Box" CD's!  But alas, I can't find them currently anywhere!  I'll get my knee guards on for begging post haste!  ;)

RoyP said:

Ian, given your theremin music preferences, might I suggest Thomas Grillo's - Secret Agents From the ID.

Yes Roy, I do have this CD :)  It is a very fun sampler CD and I gave it a thumbs up on Amazon.  Mr. Grillo is very talented in his own right, and my only qualm with this CD was how short it was because I was having so much fun listening to it!  I've also seen a few of his Theremin music lesson videos on Youtube, and found them to be both interesting and instructional.

Posted: 1/12/2015 5:52:54 AM
IanMcCormick

coalport said:

There are more theremin CD’s on the market today than at any time since the instrument was introduced in 1929 but you should be guided by the genre of music that interests you

Yes, after some research over this past weekend, I have been truly amazed at this undercurrent of active thereminists that one can find and are out there!  After listening to a number of samplers by a variety of theremin artists and respecting their talent and unique sounds that they each bring individually to the instrument, I found myself gravitating my ear towards both your own work along with Mr. Masami Takeuchi's.

As I stated in my previous post, I looked hard online searching and also on Ebay to attempt to find either of your "Many Voices" or "A Theremin Jewel Box" CD's, but to no avail.  As the creator, may I humbly ask if you know of any current distributors where I could purchase a copy of each for myself?  Your talent and mastery of the theremin is quite impressive, and I would not only want to be able to more ably listen for my own enjoyment, but to also hopefully someday share to make some more converts into appreciating this musical instrument. 

PS: Just wanted to say how fun it was to find your name in this different genre of music.  I knew your name sounded very familiar to me and then I figured it out, as I am a big Anne Murray fan as well!  

Posted: 1/12/2015 6:10:18 AM
IanMcCormick

Oh my, I just saw young Grégoire Blanc playing his theremin over on Levnet on Facebook, very impressive!

Posted: 1/12/2015 11:03:06 AM
GordonC

Don't buy any of my recordings (I go by the moniker of Beat Frequency on iTunes and other good digital download sites) - you certainly won't like them. They're quite experimental and not at all melodic.

Posted: 1/12/2015 3:06:25 PM
IanMcCormick

And that's awesome Gordon that you enjoy pushing the limits of this genre of music with experimentation!  It's only by the artists in music who push those boundaries that everyone gets new applications and directions to be given to this medium.  While true my musical ear simply likes what it likes, I most definitely respect the thereminists who push the boundaries of what can be created with the instrument, and thank you for exploring that!  :)

That said, as a newcomer I think I now have a small bit of education regarding the many great theremin artists out there, and thanks for everyone who shared and pointed me in new directions!  As long as another thread like this does not exist, I think this can get expanded to any newcomer who has questions about finding new theremin CD or digital music, and the artists here who could continue to educate us newbies as to what is out there in this fantastic and interesting community!

Posted: 1/12/2015 5:23:27 PM
Amethyste

Gordon,

I am not either a big fan of experimental music, but I do like what you do!

Posted: 1/13/2015 12:18:57 AM
GordonC

Thank you Amê. Coming from you that means a lot. :-)

<theremin hug!>

(It's like a regular hug, but with less contact and more arm waving.)

Posted: 1/13/2015 3:12:07 AM
Amethyste

I am french canadian and we don't do 1/2 assed hugs, Gordon...

C'MERE! :)

Posted: 1/13/2015 6:53:27 AM
GordonC

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.