My debut

Posted: 7/26/2015 3:23:24 PM
rkram53

Actually you have to be careful in the winter as I found out all too well and damaged my theremins. I haven't had a problem in the summer when the humidity is high.

I got an anti-static mat and use that now when I can see that I'm creating discharges. Certainly touch something grounded before you play in the winter or if you see you are collecting a charge. I did knock out my Etherwave Plus and had to send it back for repairs last winter so be careful when it's not humid out.

Rich

Posted: 7/26/2015 5:47:43 PM
dewster

Theremin "antennas" really shouldn't be bare metal.  And, unless it's got tubes inside, there should be some kind of ESD protection.

Posted: 7/27/2015 2:30:27 AM
rkram53

You don't have to go overboard. Just be careful. It's likely not going to be a problem until winter. Forget a wrist strap.

It's time to start playing that thing.

Posted: 7/27/2015 1:41:00 PM
dewster

Static electricity doesn't really enter into the equation with normal Theremin operation - though it unfortunately can with abnormal operation!  ;-)  

Grounding your body could help give more consistent response, though you might have to "tune" the Theremin for optimal response in this scenario.

I'd cover the antennas in braided insulated sleeving, or heat-shrink tubing.  Except for the response you get when touching the bare antennas, insulation shouldn't noticeably interfere with operation.

Posted: 7/27/2015 6:37:05 PM
dewster

Here's a thread where people are talking about insulating Theremin antennae:

http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/29403/insulating-the-volume-loop-antenna

I think I'd go with heatshrink, maybe a couple layers, though the woven cable cover stuff is more easily removable.  If you decide on heatshrink, use a heat gun to apply it rather than a flame (don't want to discolor it).

The material most likely doesn't matter at all in terms of playing the thing.  Much like an air gap in an otherwise closed ferrite coil former, the permittivity of any free space between your hand and the insulator should swamp the relative permittivity of the insulator.

Posted: 7/27/2015 9:52:15 PM
oldtemecula

Hello Everyone,

I thought I would do a weekly stop by and see the action. ThereminCat you bring great enthusiasm in all your posts, very refreshing.  Rkram53 you have exposed a missing dimension in the theremin community that you are filling nicely, you do know music and a natural born teacher, your contributions have been wonderful.

In the current discussion two topics are being intertwined about covering the theremin antennas with an insulating material that I want to clarify.

In terms of the volume loop, a chirp can happen in some theremin designs when grabbing it directly as this really loads down the operating circuit. Covering the volume loop with a non-conductive sleeve adds personal artistic flair and avoids this direct contact with the metal loop.

Most coverings "do not" protect effectively against electro-static discharges as I have measured it to sometimes be as high as 10,000 volts which can have a leap distance up to one centimeter which is over ¼”. This discharge would pop through or break down the insulating qualities of most common material.

I have my own methods of ESD protection but that would need another thread.

Good Luck

Christopher

I love the roll-over!

Posted: 7/28/2015 3:10:45 AM
rkram53

The "covering" I'm most concerned about is the one of The Lorax. Is that link you posted there you think a legal YouTube posting? Looks to me like someone took Powell's album and uploaded it lock, stock and barrel to YouTube and already has 200000+ views of some sort. That's $200,000 that Powell has lost on this link alone if you look at it a certain way.

I would remove that link unless you know it is legal.

Posted: 7/28/2015 12:24:01 PM
rkram53

Thanks TCat!

Now you've actually helped the composer get sales on a piece you obviously love!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.