Let's show Bob Moog lots of love this August 21, 2015!

Posted: 8/10/2015 8:50:54 PM
coalport

rkram53 rote: “…..on to my Kaddish for Theremin, Santur and Qanan”.

WOW! That should be interesting. What’s a “qanan”? I’ve never heard of it.

Posted: 8/11/2015 1:08:28 AM
rkram53

It's like a plucked/strummed zither. Right up your alley. Very cool instrument.

Look how he changes tunings with little brass levers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5gpnO9RNzQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vKFrQvJmZM

I got this sample set to play with. They came out with a Santur as well.

http://8dio.com/instrument/qanun-vst-au-aax-kontakt-instrument/

Posted: 8/22/2015 12:50:18 AM
ThereminCat

I played Amazing Grace on the theremin, unfortunately not my best take as I could find no other alternative to recording on an iPad, but I hope you enjoy it: https://soundcloud.com/theremincat/amazing-grace

Posted: 8/22/2015 2:05:50 AM
rkram53

Well you said you were gonna do it and you did it!

Not bad for someone who's been playing a couple of weeks. Now like the rest of us you have a lifetime in front of you to try and get better.

Actually today we had a party at work and I brought in the Etherwave and played a slow one with a jazz group. 

As Peter rightly pointed out, people have absolutely no clue what good is when they first hear the instrument. They are just amazed. Even the band didn't really know what to make of it. And of course I let everyone come up and try it which was all they really wanted to do anyway. Thank God my performing career is now officially over!

And now that a lot of people know if from Sheldon just wooshing around, anyone can get away with bloody murder if they can just bang out a melody of any sort reasonably in tune.

Amazing even now how few people know this thing exists.

Thanks Bob!

Posted: 8/22/2015 4:35:46 AM
ThereminCat

Thanks! You're right I will continue to practice and improve! :)

That's so cool! I know how most people don't know much about the theremin, but when I find someone who does, it's like-
 :)

You are right. Thanks Bob :)

This beautiful Moog Music newsletter came into my inbox a few hours ago:

When Bob was alive, we had lunch every Friday afternoon.  About 11 years ago, we sat down at the Fish House on Tunnel Road and I told him that it looked like Moog Music was finally a healthy company - we were profitable, orders were coming in faster than we could ship them out, and we had built up a healthy backlog.  Bob teared up and said, "Mike, I've never been a part of a company that was able to provide stability for its employees and their families."  It's been more than a decade since that conversation, but that day and those words still resonate.

I know that when Bob passed away he was confident that his company was in good hands.  I wish more than anything that he was here to see how we have grown, and that our employees are not only being provided for today, but that they are now employee owners and will be provided for in retirement as well.

Bob, we miss you and there's not a day that goes by that I don't think of you.  You always told me that the music business is special and that it is an honor to do the work we do.  I feel that more today than ever before.  You also told me that our customers are passionate and creative, and that it is our job to fuel that passion and creativity.  Those words still inform every decision we make, and inspire the love and care with which we produce the instruments that bear your name. 

I can't believe it's been ten years since we've had lunch together.  If we were able to speak today, I know that you would be most interested in our vision for the next ten years. It is because of your guidance that we have such a bright path ahead of us. We are so grateful to have the opportunity to be a part of your enduring legacy. 

Thank you, Bob. We can never say that enough.

Your friend,

Mike

Mike Adams

President & CEO

MOOG MUSIC INC.

Posted: 8/22/2015 6:55:43 PM
ThereminCat

In collaboration with @Theremin (http://www.thereminworld.com/user/details/theremin) , 
this tiny tribute to Bob Moog :) Etherwave shown for scale :D

Posted: 8/24/2015 11:58:55 AM
coalport

rkram53 rote re the “qanan”: It's like a plucked/strummed zither. Right up your alley. Very cool instrument.

rkram, you don’t mean “qanan”! You mean “qanun” (or “kanun”). I’ve played the instrument for years. Here’s a picture of my kanun with one of his friends. Kanuns are of two basic designs: Turkish and Egyptian. This is an Egyptian kanun.

http://www.peterpringle.com/pppix/kanun2.jpeg

Posted: 8/25/2015 12:39:43 AM
rkram53

What a difference an "a" can make.

Did you put out a  piece for theremin and that? I love the sound of the thing.

I'm working on a piece for qanun, theremin, turkish flute (ney), strings and a cool sample library called Geosonics where a guy went all over the world and sampled the sounds of nature and then they added synth overlays to it you can choose to use or not.

Posted: 8/25/2015 4:10:45 AM
rkram53

And herein lies one of the dangers of writing using sample libraries with harp like instruments - you can easily write things that the sample library can play without issues that would be impossible to play - even simple sounding things.

From what I gather you can change the tuning with one hand - as long as you don't change the scale too quickly. Kind of like a harp pedal but you need more time as you have to use your hand and the other hand might be playing This is an absolute must in a more dissonant piece like I'm thinking about. 

How much time do you need between notes that need to change with a mandal? This is one tricky instrument with all the microtonal tuning going on. How do you tune all the microtonal divisions?

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.