How to connect my antennas to my circuit boards

Posted: 11/23/2015 2:56:44 AM
ashton1265

I'm in the process if designing my circuit boards for my theremin and I can't seem to find any details on antenna materials or installation. Should the metal be hollow or filled? Is copper a good material, or is it too soft? And finally, how would you connect them to the board? Any help is greatly appreciated 

Posted: 11/23/2015 3:36:25 AM
dewster

Hollow or filled antenna, doesn't matter.  Copper, aluminum, anything that conducts should work fine.  Insulated would probably help with ESD issues.

For connection, any kind of bare or insulated simple wire will work, though you may want to use something a bit stiff so that it doesn't flop about and cause microphonics or tuning issues.  Don't use coaxial wire or anything with a grounded outer shield.

Posted: 11/23/2015 11:49:02 PM
ashton1265

"Hollow or filled antenna, doesn't matter.  Copper, aluminum, anything that conducts should work fine.  Insulated would probably help with ESD issues. For connection, any kind of bare or insulated simple wire will work, though you may want to use something a bit stiff so that it doesn't flop about and cause microphonics or tuning issues.  Don't use coaxial wire or anything with a grounded outer shield."

Would you just solder the wire directly to the end of the piping and then solder it to a wire connector on the board?

Posted: 11/24/2015 1:11:54 AM
dewster

It's nothing magical, and there is very little current, so any even half-way decent electrical connection should work fine.  

Posted: 11/24/2015 2:07:50 AM
oldtemecula

Ashton, I think the most important thing in your question is to remember the antenna begins at the PCB. The connecting wire is the antenna, you do not want it running across or against grounded surfaces. Capacitance is the influence on the antenna though antenna is not really the best word to describe the vertical electrode.

Christopher    "M"    "W" ......humm, hows Snookie (-'

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.