Questions about open.theremin.one

Posted: 12/20/2015 4:55:02 PM
xtheremin8

rich, i just placed that jumper on the board and changed the general variable "uint8_t_CV= 0" to =1 . i set also "float pitch_cv_max=0" to =4  

if you scroll down in the sketch (about to middle)  there is " //_CV" with explanations on pitch to volt output etc. so i noodled a bit with that but ended up with like it was.

Posted: 12/20/2015 5:25:11 PM
rkram53

Hmm. The code I downloaded does't seem to have that in it. It has PWM generated CV mapping to pin6 (not a DAC pin). I think I may have downloaded the wrong code.

Have you played around with creating your own wavetable? That seems pretty straightforward.

Thanks!

Posted: 12/20/2015 7:56:17 PM
xtheremin8

the code i used is called open.theremin.uno.extension cv&midi (for the v2 board with the pot's) 

i used the online tool an thierrys wavegen.ino . and yes, they are straightforward.

did you use david harveys program?

Posted: 12/20/2015 8:28:48 PM
rkram53

Thanks. I just downloaded the default thing at Open.theremin

https://github.com/GaudiLabs/OpenThereminUNO

Rich

Yea - thanks - that is quite different than what I was using!

Posted: 12/21/2015 12:49:16 AM
rkram53

Well just a cursory scan of this code seems to suggest it just initializes the MIDI channel and then

sends the current MIDI note that is computed from the pitch using current volume translated to MIDI Velocity:

sendNoteOn (MIDI Note Number, MIDI Velocity, MIDI Channel)

and then if the MIDI NOTE changes, it sends a note off for the current MIDI note

sendNoteOff (MIDI Note Number, MIDI VelocityMIDI Channel)

then makes the current note the last note and just repeat the process. Not much else I see in the main sketch.

So basically its just "quantizing" pitch to MIDI notes and playing them as notes change.

This in and of itself is not going to be very useful - kind of like setting a Theremini into fully pitch corrected chromatic mode. However the MIDI library that is part of this distribution does contain routines to send pitch bend, program change, control change, aftertouch, sysex, etc., so I assume that its up to users to add code to the program to perform more sophisticated MIDI processing to their liking. Exactly what that should be however, I'm not sure yet. I might send volume translated as a CC that would be sent maybe based on some interrupt or every so often through the main loop. And maybe send pitch bend with that based on the current pitch offset from the current note. Note sure. Will be fun to experiment there later.

Well - now its time to actually build the darned thing. I ordered the knob version as well. I'll post back here when I get things all working.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.