Charlie Chaplin's "SMILE"

Posted: 12/14/2015 12:41:17 AM
coalport

This afternoon I did this little rendition of Charlie Chaplin’s song, SMILE. It is played against a backdrop of clips from Chaplin’s 1921 classic silent film, THE KID.

Believe it or not, the little boy in the film is actor Jackie Coogan, who went on to play Uncle Fester in THE ADDAMS FAMILY. 

https://youtu.be/LDFSzKq5-q0

Posted: 12/14/2015 2:16:24 AM
oldtemecula

Very nice thank you. It made me sad to see The Kid, a cute So. Cal local, we all grow up and then? Well maybe some of you, not me.

Your playing skills... Do you believe in magic? You are kick'en that one trick ponies Ass.

Posted: 12/14/2015 3:29:13 AM
rkram53

Thanks. I'm starting to feel theremin deprived unless I get a wonderful installment like this from you at least once a month!

Have you tried a duet with the Continuum for a song yet?

Posted: 12/14/2015 1:04:39 PM
coalport

No, I have not attempted a Continuum/theremin duet. In order to be successful, I think you would have to choose a sound for the Continuum that is as far away as possible from the sound of the theremin otherwise the two instruments would encroach on one another’s sonic territory and step all over each other. This is what often happens when two or more theremins play together….lots of fun, very novel, very cool, but musically unsatisfying IMNSHO.

Precision theremin does not usually do well in ensemble playing, and it really only shines as a solo instrument.

As OT has pointed out, it’s a one trick pony and when you got two o’ them ole nags both trying to pull off the same ole trick at the same time, you’re gonna have problems. 

Posted: 12/15/2015 3:01:15 AM
rkram53

I know what you are saying. Your playing has so much expression and nuance to it, adding too much would take away from that.

However, with my playing,  adding more and more on top of the theremin is definitely the way to go. :-)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.