Theremin pc connection

Posted: 1/2/2016 10:02:26 PM
Patronus

Hello everyone, and happy new year there =) 

I play and etherwave standard, and I would like to connect it to my pc, for recording, using some effects and so on. 

How can I? Any suggestion about hardware and software i need? 

Thanks!

Posted: 1/3/2016 1:58:48 PM
rkram53

Lets start by asking:

1. What are your goals? What do you want to record with the theremin? Other instruments? Synths? Internal computer sounds? MIDI stuff? Do you want to record using a microphone in front of an amp - or just direct line into you PC sound interface? Have you ever recorded instruments before?

2. What sound interface do you have to record from on or with your PC and what recording/editing software do you have in place now?

If you only have a sound card (that has line in) with nothing else, you should check out Audacity - a free recording and editing program that also supports free effects plug-ins you can find on the web. But you will have to deal with levels on that Etherwave so its better to connect it to a sound interface (or mixer) with a preamp if you can. 

But there are a zillion options and almost as many price points. 

Posted: 1/13/2016 12:54:18 PM
Patronus

Hi! Thank you for your answer!

I have no experience with recording. 

I remember a friend of mine who plays the electric guitar, he used a software to apply live-time effects, record (Guitar rig for example)... and so on. 

I would like to do something similar, for example add echo, delay (pedals cost too much for me at the moment!), recording some stuff. 

I don't know if it's possible. I would like to connect the theremin directly to the pc, I need an external sound card I suppose? 

I know I made a generic request, but I have no experience in the field and don't know where to start from. 

Thanks!

Posted: 1/13/2016 3:05:34 PM
xtheremin8

hi patronus,

as rkram wrote: zillions of options. 

my simple humble homerecording setup looks like this: theremin into a mackie-mixer -> to a focusrite usb-audio interface -> to DAW -> back to mixer-> to amp(speakers). routing may be altered at any time.;-)

a mixer gives good grounding for the theremin when you work 4expl. with laptops.

for the money, (it's always the money) my interface and mixer was around 400€. but there are cheaper solutions. most interfaces come with a free little DAW. mine had ableton-live wich is quite cool when using also  midi and vst stuff. 

www.soundonsound.com is a source of tons of information on recording, how-to's etc.

you don't need all that of course, but it helps a lot.

if your (grounded) computer has a line-in then you can try to plug the theremin directly. make sure you don't overdrive the input with the rather hot theremin signal. but that depends on your computer gear. some soundcards are just useless for musical purposes, because of noise, latency etc... if your DAW (audacity garageband cubase whatever) sees the input signal ...you're about to go. 

good luck 

Posted: 1/13/2016 6:59:07 PM
mpampouras

I would go directly in the preamp of the soundcard, record, and then apply effects etc. in the DAW.

Keep in mind that the buy of a decent soundcard is a must, especially if you plan to continue your music explorations with other instruments as well.

For a home studio a beginners decent solution could be a 300-400 euros mackie or a 2 channel apogee duo.

Posted: 1/15/2016 1:14:25 PM
Patronus

I need to learn lots of new things! I will, step by step.  

Thank you for your answers, any new suggestion will be appreciated as well!

Have a nice day 

cool

Posted: 1/16/2016 12:26:30 AM
RoyP

I use a USB mixer: http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-XENYX-Q502USB-USB-Mixer/IPI

Theremin-->(one of 5 inputs) USB mixer-->PC...THEN...post input mixing with Audacity etc

Nice and simple.

N.B. The I also use the USB mixer as a headphone amp which will give you a decent headphone signal if you want to play and listen without the neighbours suffering.

Posted: 7/6/2016 1:58:59 PM
Patronus

"I use a USB mixer: http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-XENYX-Q502USB-USB-Mixer/IPI Theremin-->(one of 5 inputs) USB mixer-->PC...THEN...post input mixing with Audacity etc Nice and simple. N.B. The I also use the USB mixer as a headphone amp which will give you a decent headphone signal if you want to play and listen without the neighbours suffering."

I followed your suggestion! thanks! 

In the user guide of the mixer, they say you must have a di-box and a usb-audio-interface to connect the mixer to a laptop. 

Is it possible to record without that?

Posted: 7/6/2016 2:53:25 PM
Patronus

I found this solution, any of yout that have tried it? 

http://www.alesis.com/products/view/guitarlink-plus

Thanks! 

Posted: 12/24/2018 11:30:24 AM
parmil987

Thank you for the information.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.