Haken Continuum as a Theremin Effect

Posted: 2/9/2016 1:57:50 AM
rkram53

Yea. It took me a bit to realize what's going on there changing the mouth format dynamically with one hand. At first nothing came out and I was flummoxed. He's offsetting the fingerboard into two different control planes! Not just good sounding but really inventive how he uses the fingerboard itself.

We need more patches like this. So many are nice effects and interesting sounds - but when you get one that can really be used for melodic playing like Vln Vla Vlc Bass, it's so nice. 

Posted: 2/9/2016 3:32:05 AM
rkram53

OK. Try this. It appears the 2 Hand voice patch is geared for the male side of the mouth range. That module named BiqMouth 2 is doing all the formant processing. 

2HandVoice

It's fed formula A as the main input (on the filled black triangle denoting audio input) that looks like this:

2HandV2

Which says for this input keep the Y axis at zero for the for the first half of the fingerboard (no vocal processing as that will be our pitch input from another formula), and then set it to a 1 for any finger position past half way. 1 means turn on the formant processor in this case feeding it full unity value from the Sub LR output (seen if you travel all the way to the left to see what is actually feeding it).

Now look at the two formulas in the next column labeled D and under that H - in the Direct + row (these will be added to each other and directly applied to set the mouth shape). D does this:

2HandV3

sets the X position from 0 to 1.2. And whatever H is is added to this. Not sure if Ed is moving the BiqMouth through its full range of 0 to 4.8 according to this table (though this doesn't quite match what he says about going to 4.8 - stopping at 4.5 in the manual).

BiqTable

A simple way to get a few different sounds is to simply add a small multiplier in the column that has the D and H in it. I've circled that in the big example above - to the left it says "x" which multiplies what's in the direct column above it. You can just try typing a 2, 3 or 4 where I have a 3. It won't change the stored patch - though if you get a number you like you can save it to a different patch name.

I could have missed something here as I need to fully analyze this patch - but try it and see if you get any different sounds. I'm also not sure how this patch will be different in a full versus half size continuum. I think that is why that D formula kicks in half way but I can't be sure yet.

Can you change the mouth type using the lowest notes on the full continuum? Or is it just a male "Ah" for the lower end of the fingerboard?

Sorry this has no "thereminness" to it. But I'll see if I can modify this great patch to send my theremin into it through the AES input. 

Posted: 2/10/2016 12:30:51 AM
rkram53

Well it turns out that H parameter is in fact doing a lot. I didn't notice it has a blend function on it that increases it values and is tied to the phoneme barrel that lets you adjust the mouth shapes. Man - the EaganMatrix has a steep learning curve - and it looks like there are some undocumented features you find out as you go along. Like there are more barrel types than are listed in the cog wheel menu. 

Posted: 2/10/2016 6:24:16 AM
RSchwim

rkram53,

Perhaps we might hang out some time if you're in northern Jersey. I'm in Brooklyn.

Looks like you really know what you're doing with the Continuum! I'm mostly on the playing end... Same with theremin

Posted: 2/10/2016 1:10:05 PM
coalport

Hey, rickyram, how come you are not on Facebook Continuum Users? Seems like it would be a good place for all the great info you have been posting about your adventures with the Haken.

Posted: 2/10/2016 9:45:39 PM
coalport

rickyram - this is off-topic for the SIG but here is a short video I made this morning of a Continuum emulation of the Irish UILLEANN PIPES. I was inspired by a beautiful performance of a song that piper Davy Spillane composed for the Irish dance musical, RIVERDANCE. The preset (iffin ya care at all) is #66 in the 7.50 editor. It’s called GrainSilo Woodwind. 

What I wanted to capture is the distinctive “trembling” effect that is possible on the uilleann pipes that cannot be emulated on a standard MIDI keyboard. This performance uses only one voice, but with polyphony 4 the entire range of drone harmonies is possible just as they are on the acoustic instrument (which Spillane does not use in this composition). 

Posted: 2/11/2016 2:13:27 AM
rkram53

I can't stand Facebook - somehow I think its an invasion - and on the Yahoo Haken site I can't seem to figure out how to post a message. It doesn't seem to let me post. Maybe they didn't approve me yet. But not much action on this site. I wish there was a site like Thereminworld for continuum. Maybe one day I'll start a ContinuumWorld.

I guess I should do the Facebook thing. Is there a big community there? Mostly I'm bothering poor Lippold with all my questions on programming the continuum (not many try and frankly it needs more usable melodic playing patches - that I plan on posting somehow as I create them). I wish now I bought the full version. I always cheap out on the wrong things and regret it.

RSchwim,

You bet. I'd love to get together sometime. Only having had this thing for a short time, still a lot to learn. Give me a couple more weeks to really get up to speed.

Played around tonight with that new 2 Hand Voice Patch above on a Christoph Graupner accompanied canon I adapted from his original autograph - along with a high female voice I programmed - that breaks down unfortunately in the high register to a more stringy sound (the filters are kicking out there). Needs a lot more expression but Baroque music doesn't need to sound like Verdi. I also compressed it a bit which perhaps was not a good idea.

https://soundcloud.com/rk53-1/haken-simulation-5-canon-from-graupner-gwv432

I'm going to modify this 2-hand voice patch next and throw the theremin through it to see what comes out.

Posted: 2/11/2016 3:41:05 AM
RSchwim

No hurry on anything... literally. Just getting over knee surgery combined with keeping up on current work and catching up on stuff while I've been recovering so I can't really get together soon anyway.

I should warn you I'm more on the playing end than programming the Continuum. If you want to reconsider my getting together idea in light of that no offense taken.

The Continuum group on Facebook is helpful and informative. It's also a closed group if that helps.

Posted: 2/11/2016 11:08:20 AM
coalport

rickyram - you are going to have to join the FACEBOOK CONTINUUM USERS group because I have told them all about you. You will find a small army of kindred souls (including Ed Eagan who posts regularly) and they're jiss dyin' ta meecha!

Posted: 2/12/2016 1:45:12 AM
rkram53

Hey - I just noticed the pipes video - wow that's really convincing. The only thing missing are maybe the little occasional pfft articulations on the real thing but you even get a bit of that too. In fact there are lot of continuum patches that you get unwanted initial articulations if you press too hard/quickly. There is just no other instrument like the continuum. OK Facebook it is. I have to reactivate my account.

Rob - whenever you are ready - maybe when the weather gets better. And why in the world would you want to waste your time programming the damned thing when you can play it so well? I on the other hand realize my limitations as a performer - so I take things in all kinds of tangent directions.

Rich

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.