Theremini versus Eitherwave as far as "Theremin sound".

Posted: 2/12/2016 1:47:38 PM
audiomidiman

Many years ago (Mid/Late 1990's) I built a PAIA Theremax kit with my father. As much fun as it was I always regret not making a Moog Eitherwave (or buying assemblied).

Seeing I don't have tons of time to write anymoreI've simplified my setup to an iMac, Reason, Midi Controller and some powered monitors. I still have some external gear that I pull out as needed (K2000, Frostwave MS20 Filter, etc.)...

So, that brings me to today. I've been kicking around the idea of grabbing a Moog Eitherwave or Eitherwave Plus... Then I saw the Theremini and I was like "WOW". However, the more I see it the more I keep going back and forth on which one to get. I do write electronic music and have used the Theremax a few times when writing but never learned how to actually "play" a Theremin (I can play... and have a good ear... Just never focused to actually learn if that makes sense).

Thinking of grabbing a Moog Eitherwave to keep in our living room next to our piano. Figured, it might be fun to jam with the kids (my oldest is taking Piano lessons now)... Then when I want to record something I'd just move it to our library / computer room where I write/record. Then I started checking out the Theremini and love the synth capabilities and think it may be very fun to lay down some tracks.

Question... compared to my Theremax... Which needs to be adjusted often... How are the traditional "Theremin" sound on the Theremini compared to the Etherwave? Is it responsive to actually learn? Seeing I'm not going to be a professional Theremin player right now just like the idea of getting a good theremin sound with some other capabilities to make it more useful in my studio.

Oh, and with the USB port... can you use it as a MIDI controller? I don't believe so from what I'm seeing but figured I'd ask. Would that little speaker be loud enough to jam with a piano in our house?

If I get an eitherwave, I'd need to get a small theremin amp so that adds to the cost.

Just trying to avoid the "I wish I would of bought an eitherwave" feeling again!!!

Thanks for any input.

Bill

Posted: 2/12/2016 2:54:46 PM
dewster

Hi Bill,

I've owned both.  The Theremini is hard to beat for price and convenience.  The calibration is broad enough that you can set it up on a table, and it has a built-in amp & speaker.  I just wish they'd put more effort into the design of the oscillators and linearization processing, as the range isn't so hot and linearity can be quite poor.  The amp & speaker can get fairly loud, though the low end is MIA as you might expect from a 1" driver.  It's hard to define exactly what a "traditional" Theremin sounds like, but I find the old school ones rather harsh / bland sounding, so I suppose I generally prefer the Theremini synth sounds over that.  You'll have to ask others about the MIDI capabilities as I haven't used them at all.

But the EW isn't perfect.  It pretty much has to be on a mic stand because the calibration is internal.  The calibration is time consuming and frustrating, and installing the wooden top afterward throws it off so you have to take off the top, tune it, put it back on, try it out, take the top off, touch it up, etc.  Drilling holes in the top to access the IF transformers would really help, but even then I don't think I'd want to own one if I didn't have an oscilloscope handy.  If you do get an EW you should buffer the mixer as the uncoupled bass makes it a much better instrument IMO.  Since you have kit experience they sell the EW bare board for $100 which seems like an OK deal if you can live with the downsides.  I personally hate the clunky and ugly plumbing antenna hardware on the EW, something you might find on a prototype, but not on a commercial unit.

(I've noticed that wood isn't the ideal thing to have near Theremin circuitry as it capacitively interacts somewhat.  My second hand distance measuring stick was initially made of wood, but I noticed that it altered the pitch somewhat when lashing it to the antenna.  Not a ton, but enough that I didn't want to use it for basic lab type testing.  Plastic is almost invisible to Theremins.)

The whole field is kind of a mess right now and I kind of blame Moog Inc. as historically they "own" it.  At this point, with arguably no better options currently available on the low end (and if I couldn't design my own) I might opt for the bare EW board and put it in a plastic box with better antennas and an amplifier / speaker, buffer the mixer, and try to come up with a more convenient way to calibrate it.  I would also insulate the antennas (both the Theremini and the EW are prone to static discharge damage, which is probably the main reason why you can buy the bare EW board).  Thierry is working on something that may be released this year that you may want to wait for, but I have no inside information regarding that. 

Posted: 2/12/2016 7:31:59 PM
audiomidiman

Thanks for the input dewster... Wish I could play with a Theremini locally to actually hear it and play with it... Unfortunately, no one locally (guitar center or any local music store) has one. Anyone live around Clinton Township, MI that has one?

If I grab one, anyone recommend a good Microphone stand for her? Something that is durable and would look good in my living room? ;) What about an amp? Is the Moog Theremin Amp the best option out there for a reasonable price?

B&H has a Theremini Value pack for about $315 that comes with a mic stand and a case... For about $60 more you get a Theremin amp... Not sure I need an amp.

Posted: 2/12/2016 8:35:57 PM
coalport

The THEREMINI is a toy. If you are serious about playing the theremin in any traditional sense, get an Etherwave and add the available modifications from Thierry Frenkel. 

The THEREMINI has “issues” that are too numerous to mention but, as thereminist Carolina Eyck recently pointed out in one of her videos, it’s great fun at parties because it has a built-in speaker.  

The first mistake most budding newcomers to the theremin make is to base their purchasing choice on cost - and nothing that anybody says will dissuade them.

Spent the afternoon with the ROLI SEABOARD RISE. It is also a toy. A very expensive and clever toy, but a TOY nonetheless.

Posted: 2/12/2016 9:54:13 PM
dewster

Bill, it's a shame you can't try them out in a store first.  Though you could perhaps purchase through a retailer that allows easy returns?  Coalport is right that the Theremini is more of a toy, though to me it is one of those "right on the edge" things that might satisfy those who just want to dabble a bit, do more effects driven non-melodic work, or to have a fun conversation piece in the music room.  It could easily be so much more with pretty much the same BOM, but I don't run Moog Inc.

I bought and sold my Theremini on the used market, which minimized the investment somewhat.  (Bought it as a return from Sweetwater w/ free shipping; sold it on Amazon.)

===========

"Spent the afternoon with the ROLI SEABOARD RISE. It is also a toy. A very expensive and clever toy, but a TOY nonetheless."  - coalport

It's a crying shame there isn't more basic understanding among the engineering crowd of what a real instruments is.  They put some foam in place of keys and wonder why the musical world isn't beating a path to their door.  Maybe I'm prone to seeing 99% of these modern efforts as sub-optimal, and I haven't even laid eyes on one in the flesh, but the Linnstrument also strikes me as tedious and unmusical.

Posted: 2/12/2016 11:15:39 PM
rkram53

Hey Audiomidiman,

I'm exhausted on this subject - but if your name is any indication - just remember you can't actually play that Theremini through MIDI. You only can set control parameters through MIDI. A lot of people think they can send it MIDI note on/off messages. Nah! 

And that Theremini needs a European mic adapter for normal US stands.

Two things to be aware of.

Posted: 2/13/2016 12:03:58 AM
audiomidiman

Thanks for the input. Was about to purchase a standard eitherwave for $260 last week. Just decided that I'd do some research before I made any decision. I really want to play with a Theremini and the only way that may happen to purchase and return if I don't like it. Not sure why moog has three Theremins with similar prices. Kind of canibulizing their own sales. 

Posted: 2/13/2016 12:25:47 AM
coalport

There’s a “CATCH-22” involved with trying out a Moog THEREMINI in a music store: As a newbie, unless you have prior experience with the theremin, you cannot know if the instrument you are playing is a good theremin or an over-priced toy. And if you have experience with the theremin you’re not a newbie!

Without a frame of reference for comparison, you could try out a THEREMINI and have a great time, but have no clue why it will impede your advancement if you are serious about becoming a skilled thereminist.

Posted: 2/13/2016 12:26:17 PM
audiomidiman

Thanks for everyones input. I'm going to try and find someone local(ish) that has an eitherwave to check out. Moog has appeared to have flooded the market with the three similarly priced theremins... So, prices on e-bay seem to keep going down.

Posted: 2/15/2016 6:55:48 PM
audiomidiman

Ok, picked up a Theremini from B&H... Came with a gigbag and mic stand for $315 shipped... I can send it back if I don't like it but from the examples on YouTube I've seen / heard some very beautiful sounds coming from the Theremini!!!

Will report back soon to give my impressions. Figure the price is more than fair and can always grab an eitherwave (or something better) later.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.