Problem in Volume after the installation of ESPE01

Posted: 5/23/2016 2:31:09 PM
evamagic

I have installed successfully the ESPE01 module but after that the volume of the theremin decreased very much, i barely hear something. I have to increase the volume from my amplifier (Behringer K450FX) but i hear much noise and distortion. I did all necessary volume tuning with volt meter according to:

The Plus model i have is NOT GROUNDED, came with a Moog 2 pole mains plug. But i had not problems with the volume before install the ESPE01.

Please give me any helpful advice to proceed, I want to solve the problem as soon as possible!

Thanks for your time and effort!
Posted: 5/24/2016 7:16:36 PM
Thierry

When the Behringer is grounded, the Etherwave will be so, too, through the audio cable which interconnects both, thus grounding is not an issue in that case.

There was no need to fiddle with the volume circuit when it worked before, since the ESPE01 does only act on the pitch circuit and has no impact on the volume circuit.

If the signal is very weak and distorted, you have most probably made a fault during the installation, i.e. broken one of the 15pF capacitors when lifting one of its legs up, or perhaps you simply took the wrong leg. Or you broke perhaps one of the solders on the module where the wires from the oscillators arrive in the "FIX" and "VAR" hole. In ever case, the signal of one of the two pitch oscillators does not arrive at the module.

Please check everything again and if the problem persists, take high resolution pictures from your installation and send me these by email. We'll find that out. :-)

Posted: 5/27/2016 6:39:35 PM
evamagic

Thank you very much! You were so right! It a was indeed a fault during the installation. Everything is under control now. I hope I will have the opportunity to meet you and learn more things about theremin via Theremin Academy. Thank you again! smile

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.