Question about instrument for beginner - Etherwave / Plus / Modified

Posted: 6/8/2016 3:53:53 AM
kc5string

Hey all!

I'm sure it's been asked many times and I've read a few posts about "What to buy".  I've also read the Buyer's Guide on this site.  I'm a musician of moderate talent on the guitar, piano and banjo and I want to play music on the theremin, not just make noise.  From this, it would appear that the Etherwave or B3 models would be the way to go, and with the Etherwave being a better instrument by a ways than the B3 I'm leaning that way.  I learned with the banjo that trying to save a few bucks initially just results in spending more money when you realize you want a better instrument.  I’m about to click “Buy” on the Standard Etherwave, but had a couple questions.

My questions are with regard to the three main options for the Etherwave (Standard, Plus and modified by Thierry's ESPE01 module. 

1). If my intent is only to play the theremin as it is, or perhaps with some effects pedals, is there any reason to consider the Plus model?  It seems the only difference is really the ability to control external devices?

2). The ESPE01 module seems to bring a tremendous improvement to the Etherwave.  However, I have zero experience with soldering and electronics and am hesitant to risk destroying a $400 instrument.  I also feel like shipping to order from overseas would be cost prohibitive to have one custom built. Is this a task that I should undertake, or as a beginner, will the unmodified suit my purposes?  Videos that I’ve seen of the unmodified seem like it would still be quite a suitable choice.

I guess that’s all for now.  Thanks in advance for anyone willing to throw in their advice!

~John

Posted: 6/8/2016 1:35:32 PM
Valery

Hi John! I have long had an Etherwave Theremin Plus and I like it. By its sound he is no different from the Etherwave standard, except for the possibility of connecting an external analog sound modules and pedals and management as controller. A huge advantage Plus the fact that it has a headphone output and the ability to switch their mode for pre-listening tone. It is sometimes very necessary in the difficult works, but you have to adapt. I'm sure the need to install the module, Thierry is not the first task. first you need to learn how to play. Later, you can install the module if necessary. It is not hard even for a beginner in soldering. The only thing to remember - any theremin must be connected to Ground. It can be water pipes, large metal objects... Or use very long audio cable with amplifying equipment and speakers. If this is not done the sound of the theremin will be distorted and play it will be unpleasant. The guitar processing (pedal) can be connected to the audio output, but you need to remember that the signal of the theremin stronger than the guitar, so it's best to use the divider that reduces the output audio, or a bit of soldering one resistor, as indicated in the manual.

In any case, I think that the Etherwave is the best choice for the player. Good luck!

Posted: 6/8/2016 2:47:40 PM
RoyP

John,

I think that Valery has a fair point when she says that fundamentally, it is better to learn how to play the instrument first then worry about the installation of the ESPE01 module later.
The ESPE01 module does give a wider range, enhances the sound and improves linearity but the instrument doesn't play itself!

For module installation, I remember seeing that Randy George can install them.
http://www.thereminworld.com/forums/T/31331?post=210095#210095

Roy

Posted: 6/8/2016 5:48:01 PM
oldtemecula

kc5string I will chime in also that the EtherWave Standard is the best design out there today, this is for its solid build and resale value. No matter what theremin you find, how much you pay or how old, it is not going to be much better in playability or sound. Stuff like voltage control I think is more of a distraction to what beautiful theremin music can be.

Learning the trick of tuning a theremin is something you are going to want to learn eventually. There are several approaches and I will be rewriting my own in the future.

I admire Randy for doing the EWS modifications, it is a responsibility I would not want. The copper tracks and pads on the Moog EWS are like tissue paper. He must do it because he truly loves the Art. wink

Christopher

Posted: 6/8/2016 10:17:20 PM
kc5string

Thanks for the feedback!  You've all pretty much confirmed my thinking - a "better" instrument is the way to go, but an "improved better" instrument isn't necessary until I know what the heck I'm doing! :)  

Posted: 6/9/2016 2:04:34 AM
kc5string

Order placed!!  Woohoooo!!

Posted: 6/9/2016 3:07:45 AM
oldtemecula

kc5string I congratulate you. I have orders from Amazon weekly including an EWS the past week, as who better deserves gifts than we do? I have given several away over the years. The EWS is the main theremin of discussion at TW due to its popularity. Its main downfall is the sound; it is not alone, but it can be enhanced using several methods. 

Christopher

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.