Amp question - sound when turned completely down?

Posted: 6/22/2016 3:35:31 AM
kc5string

Hey all! 

So, I got my Etherwave, and I've just barely started messing with it, but I have a question about my amp.  I have a little 1x10 10w Bass/Keyboard combo amp (Acoustic B10) that I've been using, and it seems to be fine.  However, the volume is crazy loud.  I actually have sound coming from the amp even with the gain turned all the way down.  If I just barely give it any volume, it's plenty loud enough for my apartment.  So I'm just wondering - is there some reason this amp shouldn't work, and is it normal to hear sound even with it turned completely down?

Thanks!

~John

Posted: 6/22/2016 8:53:03 AM
RoyP

Hi John,

this has cropped up before and the likeliest problem is that the output from your EW is too high for the amp.

There are various devices around that will attenuate your output signal but by far the simplest is to solder a couple of resistors into the one of the plugs in the output cable to cut down the signal.

Here is one example, by Fred Mundell describing exactly the alteration needed. There is another more colourful diagram somewhere but I cant find it just now.

As far as I can remember I used R1 = 10k  R2 = 1k to attenuate the signal by 1/10th and it worked fine.

Hopefully someone else can verify this!

The relevant post is #12.

http://www.thereminworld.com/forums/T/28688?post=194687#194687

Roy

Posted: 6/22/2016 9:32:42 PM
kc5string

Thanks for the information, Roy!  

Given that I have zero experience or confidence in my ability to solder anything, I took the only reasonable course of action - I went out and bought the Behringer K450FX amp that I had seen recommended by Thierry in another thread that I dug up.. LOL

Got it set up and it seems to work significantly better than the combo amp I was using. :D 

~John

Posted: 6/22/2016 10:28:44 PM
oldtemecula

Hello kc,

You need to use an inline signal attenuator between the EWS and using any amplifier. Just get the connectors/plugs that adapt to your situation. I have the Behringer K450FX and did not find the magic I was looking for using it. It just dislocates my shoulder trying to move it from room to room.

Christopher

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.