New Video from Carolina Eyck

Posted: 3/3/2017 6:57:57 PM
dewster

"I fwowed up!"  - coalport

*golf clap*  Well played, sir! 

Posted: 3/7/2017 11:06:29 PM
Jason

I may get in trouble with our banner ad supplier for this :), but I agree... the Theremini is a fun toy and noisemaker, but I find it incredibly difficult to compensate for the latency as I play with it. I really prefer the Etherwave over the Theremini. The extra cost is worth it if you're looking for a playable instrument.

Posted: 3/8/2017 1:18:04 AM
GordonC

I would compare the Theremini to the Casio keyboard synthesiser that my local supermarket sells at a similar price. The user interface (keyboard/capacitive fields)  is on the cheap and cheerful side, the digital synth circuitry is similarly budget constrained and without external components is strictly a presets machine.

The built-in presets play fast and loose with the response curves of the pitch and volume fields. So at the very minimum the Moog app is necessary if you want to develop sets of presets that you can safely switch between during a performance while maintaining consistency of behaviour from the fields. 

For full control of the digital synth over midi in real time, the best solution is the Lemur app, which is mind-bogglingly complicated to set up if you're not familiar with modern programming techniques, but worth the effort if you're into that sort of thing. I have that and a selection of foot pedals (including a USB Midi expression pedal talking to Lemur along with the pitch and volume streams from the theremini) and I can make weird sounds that I like to my heart's content. I doubt the pitch hand volume streams are fast enough to control an external synth without some quantisation/zippering.

None of this is necessarily a bad thing. It just defines the product's market. 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.