Antenna with F connector

Posted: 12/18/2017 6:57:53 PM
gerd

Just an idea (i haven't tried it yet).

Use a 12x2mm aluminum pipe. Mill it to 8.8mm and cut a UNEF 3/8x32 thread. Then you can screw it onto a "F jack to plug" adapter. Straight or angled. Only the outer part of the coax connector is used as antenna.

Posted: 12/18/2017 7:12:01 PM
dewster

I was doing this with UHF connectors before I switched to plate antennas.  The UHF chassis jack has a 4 hole plate for secure attachment, there are elbows, and the serrated prongs securely lock the orientation.  3/8" PEX tubing with aluminum tape on the outside, then covered heatshrink tubing, gives a nice "rubber duckie" type design.  I used the internal connector to keep ESD exposure to a minimum when handling the antenna, and left the outer connector floating.

Posted: 12/10/2018 1:18:02 PM
Dominique

The F connectors are good cheap connectors with frequency range over 2 GHz, which imply it is more than enough for coupling a theremin's antenna. The UHF connectors have also an extended frequency range, they are more expensive but have a more secure fixation. I would use F connectors for a coaxial cable, they are made for that, but for direct plugin of a metallic antenna, I would use UHF connectors. BNC connectors are good for coaxial cables too.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.