Materials on Theremin Casing

Posted: 3/15/2018 5:40:04 PM
PeteOxy

Greetings all,

I have a question on materials used on theremin casing. I have a very basic custom built model in a black plastic case - I want to 'steam' it up a bit and give it some visual character. I plan to use copper/brass plates, cogs, dials and so on - but does anyone know if these materials (covering the plastic) would effect the operation of the instrument?

Thanks

Pete Oxy

Posted: 3/15/2018 6:20:38 PM
Touchless

I think you have a great artistic idea but you are going to want to tiptoe lightly. Holding a dry wood broom handle next to the pitch antenna will move the pitch slightly as theremins are that sensitive. The distance of the objects from the circuitry is very important. The best thing to do is just experiment. Pay close attention to the theremin response as you explore and watch for added distortion to the sound you do not like. I have confidence you can do most of what you want.

Post a picture when you get there.

T

Posted: 3/17/2018 11:26:15 AM
PeteOxy

Thanks for the advice - I guess experimenting will be a part of the process. I have decided to transfer to theremin components to a wooden 'chest' casing - so that's where I'm at - could be a project of a few weeks.

Posted: 3/17/2018 11:32:46 AM
PeteOxy

Pictures of progress will be posted here....(no idea why the pictures have been rotated..?)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.