Pitch Oscillator not working

Posted: 4/10/2018 1:04:53 PM
archiki

Hi!
I have been trying to make the theremin schematic given by Robert Moog as a part of a course project. Today I wanted to test the pitch oscillators on breadboard. However the BJT available to me is 2n2369 and I used those, for the variable inductor I used 100microH inductor and the capacitor was modeled at 10pF. Although according to the simulations I performed on spice(for the BJT 2n3904) the circuit should work however on performing the experiment I saw no oscillations. In fact the emitter voltage was around 11.6V instead of -0.6.Can anyone please help me out with what the problem is??
note: The inductors used are the standard colour coded inductors, not sure of what they are called.

Posted: 4/10/2018 7:20:51 PM
Thierry

Most probably a wiring error, i.e. switched base and collector. What are the base voltages at both transistors? Both should be around 0V. In case one base is around 12V instead, check the RC feedback network for errors. And make sure that the common emitter resistor is correctly wired towards -12V.

The 2N2369 is not suited for that circuit. It’s maximum Vce is 15V, but when everything oscillates correctly, Vce might exceed 24V. You might have roasted them. The 2N3904 is available at each street corner. Go and buy these.

Posted: 4/25/2018 1:57:24 PM
archiki

Hi sorry for the late reply, the circuit worked on changing the BJT.
Thanks a lot. However we are facing another issue that initially when we tried making the circuit it was more spread out it was responding correctly. Recently that we tried making it compact, now the pitch oscillator is not properly responding to the antennas and there is a stray noise that on its own changes frequency.What can be the reason, is this due to the inductors being too close? We are still struggling to find variable inductors and are trying to used combinations of fixed inductors on breadboard only. Is there another alternative or method available to fix the problem?

Posted: 4/25/2018 4:54:37 PM
dewster

"However we are facing another issue that initially when we tried making the circuit it was more spread out it was responding correctly. Recently that we tried making it compact, now the pitch oscillator is not properly responding to the antennas and there is a stray noise that on its own changes frequency.What can be the reason, is this due to the inductors being too close?"  - archiki

If the inductors have a ferrite core, then "too close" isn't likely as the ferrite concentrates the field locally.  With air core you have to worry more about spacing, though 2" or more will usually reduce most of the coupling if the frequencies aren't too close.

For the oscillators, try to keep every other conductive row free on the breadboard (there is substantial capacitance between the rows), run interconnecting wires several mm or more in the air above the breadboard rather than running right on top of it, and set the breadboard on a 2" or higher plastic box.  Do not use a breadboard that has a conductive plate as the base.

"We are still struggling to find variable inductors and are trying to used combinations of fixed inductors on breadboard only.

The inductor values have to be fairly exact in order to heterodyne to audio, so combinations of fixed inductors doesn't seem like a good approach.

"Is there another alternative or method available to fix the problem?"

You could try adding some variable capacitance, but then you're redesigning things, and I'm not sure you're at the point where you understand things well enough to be doing that.  Picking the EM (~EW) as a first Theremin project is maybe not what I would recommend, as it is a pain to tune even when it is working 100% fine.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.