Forum Decorum Fails

Posted: 3/7/2020 2:30:21 PM
rupertchappelle

Gentlemen and Ladies, 

ASCII text strings are not worth raising one's hackles over, spammers should go, but bickering and rudeness have to be tolerated especially considering the variety of personality types involved in the theremin. RE: LevNUT.

Try to be nicer to each other or go find levnut and enjoy critiques of awful thereminists and praise of bloated precision egos. I presume such still goes on there . . .

And Jason, shut this place down and where do I go? Even the Russians pretend I do not exist!

Maybe I will have to join that Facebook Kazoo group . . . the horror, the Horror, THE HORROR!

Posted: 3/7/2020 6:38:48 PM
bendra

Try to be nicer to each other or go find levnut and enjoy critiques of awful thereminists and praise of bloated precision egos. I presume such still goes on there . . .

Thankfully they haven't found my channel (yet)

Posted: 3/7/2020 10:43:08 PM
dewster

"I know a method a EWS could sound better than an Epro but I am forbidden by the self appointed TW monitors from mentioning it here because it is given away for free."  - oldtemecula

Says the self appointed TW monitor - oh, the irony.  Followed by a Phoenix ad.

Posted: 3/7/2020 11:04:49 PM
oldtemecula

dewster, I only gave this hint because you followed up my weekly post down below with one of your put down post, again and again. 

You need to stop before you shut the entire thing down.

You remove yours I will remove "self appointed" from my post above if that is offensive to you, that simple. This is 3 year old behavior.

My sound wav: is the finest theremin ever designed & recorded, get use to it as it will improve and there will be many. I am only looking for a couple of college kids, why does that bother you so much?

Why did Pitt abandon you?  I always said he would come around and two PCB are waiting for him.

Christopher

Posted: 3/7/2020 11:37:09 PM
dewster

"dewster, I only gave this hint because you followed up my weekly post down below with one of your put down post, again and again."  - oldtemecula

"hint" is such a nice thing to call a poke in the eye.

"You need to stop before you shut the entire thing down."

Funny how bad behavior is now suddenly a huge concern.

"This is 3 year old behavior."

Readers should check out the D-Lev thread for someone doing childish attack posting for years.

"My sound wav: is the finest theremin ever designed & recorded, get use to it as it will improve and there will be many. I am only looking for a couple of college kids, why does that bother you so much?"

Followed by yet another Phoenix ad.

Posted: 3/13/2020 9:00:09 PM
dewster

"There are four things that make a theremin beautiful that can not be seen in modeling, like the sound."  - oldtemecula

Says someone who doesn't know the first thing about DSP.

Doing things digitally means you're dealing with numbers rather than voltages, and if the numbers are large enough (resolution) and change often enough (sampling), the design process is almost identical to that of a continuous voltage circuit in analog hardware, and the results indistinguishable.  The digital state-variable filter is a direct translation from the op-amp topology, etc.

"Theremin design is so much fun I think some engineer ego's want to spoil it because they can not figure it out."

Another thinly veiled jab at anyone (though it is actually quite targeted) taking a reasonable, rational approach.  EE's are out to tear down this whole mysterious field that they are utterly blind to because they know too much.  It takes a complete non-engineer to properly engineer a Theremin.  It's absurd on its face, and is the sort of argument a crank might make.

Theremin himself had degrees from Military Engineering School, Graduate Electronic School for Officers, attained a military radio-engineer diploma, and graduated from Petrograd University.  That didn't seem to hold him back from actually inventing the thing.

Try as they might, analog Theremin designers, regardless of their background (or lack of it), haven't been able to really crack the linearity nut, nor alter the basic sensitivity without further seriously negatively impacting linearity.  These issues are almost trivial to completely correct digitally, as well as a whole host of other issues (mains hum pickup, field reversal past null, instantaneous pitch indication, etc.).  And the sky's the limit on fun voices to play with, as there are myriad digital synthesis methods out there already worked out, many of them fairly easy to implement in minimal hardware / software.

Posted: 3/25/2020 9:00:14 PM
dewster

"As I always say "Demonstrate a sound byte or is it just a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal". That would impress one engineer and maybe others."  - oldtemecula

For once he's right!  I would be completely impressed if your Theremin sounded like a gong or cymbal, as cymbals in particular require a lot of oscillators / resonators (~100) to simulate realistically.

Posted: 3/30/2020 2:27:53 PM
dewster

"I shared everything openly in how I got my results for the last ten years to unfortunately be dismissed by the misguided."  - oldtemecula

Ask me how I know exactly how this person feels.  (Hint: it's highly ironic.)  At least I'm not "waiting for the rollover" and plastering his threads with giant nonsense pix and peanut gallery gibberish.

"Now my research goes private so the final builders will be special, even unique when their theremin dream is realized."

Apart from the bombast, dude shows up here week after week saying he's leaving, but never actually leaves.  Years of "winding down my research" and "passing on my legacy" drama, but here he still is, apparently nominated for some restaurant award.  It's like one of those "GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SALE!" stores that never actually closes its doors.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.