Radio Science Orchestra 'Theremin 100 - How the Future Began' : Leeds : Fri 24 April

Posted: 2/27/2020 8:34:25 AM
ewilsonstephens

**POSTPONED** due to coronavirus. I will post an update on the revised date as soon as possible.

Greetings all. I thought that members of the Theremin World forum may want to know about a theremin-based event I am co-organising (details below).

Just to introduce myself, I am a PhD researcher at the University of Leeds (working in collaboration with the National Science and Media Museum in Bradford), exploring 'objects of electronic sound and music in museums'. I am currently writing a paper on interactive theremins in North American museums, which should be published later this year!! (more details regarding my research here)

Our 'theremin 100' event will include thrilling talks and performances from musicians, museum curators and researchers working across the UK. We're really excited to have the Radio Science Orchestra perform as the 'headline' act, following a theremin and modular synthesizer performance from the super-talented Siôn Parkinson and Sam Annand (you can catch Siôn and Sam beforehand at London's Somerset House on Thursday 19 March: more details here)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday 24 April, 6:00pm - 9:00pm **POSTPONED** due to coronavirus. 
Admission Free 
Clothworkers Centenary Concert Hall, University of Leeds' School of Music, Leeds, UK

The Radio Science Orchestra presents “How the Future Began”, an audio-visual performance which focusses on the inception and evolution of electronic music, from its electro-mechanical origins through to the modern digital age.

Celebrating the centenary of the invention of the Theremin - the world’s first successful electronic instrument - this British space-age pop ensemble will produce a show illustrated with songs, interstitial sound design, archival footage and narration.

Spanning the Victorian Founding Age, through the Atomic Age, and into the 21st Century, the show illuminates striking connections between the sounds and technologies of today and yesteryear, also revealing unexpected links between the exploration of space and the dawn of electronic music. The performance will feature a variety of esoteric instruments including Theremin, concert harp, Moog, modular synthesisers and Ondes Martenot.

Preceding the concert is an interdisciplinary research event, “Out of Touch? The Theremin in the Twenty-First Century”, curated by Edd Wilson-Stephens.  Celebrating one hundred years since the Theremin instrument was first made commercially available, this student-led event will explore the relationship between science and music within a programme of illuminating performances and talks. Visual artist and singer Sion Parkinson, students from the School of Music, and speakers from the University of Leeds and the Science Museum Group will convene to explore contemporary gestural performance, and the history of electronic musical instruments and sound technologies.  The full schedule of talks and performances will be released in April.

The research event and concert are both free to attend, and form part of Leeds Digital Festival 2020 https://leedsdigitalfestival.org/ and the University's International Concert Series http://concerts.leeds.ac.uk/

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.