Velocity Add-On Big Briar / Etherwave

Posted: 3/13/2020 11:53:03 PM
DOMINIK

I have been asked to reshape a Big Briar. Besides that 'velocity' was on the wish list.

Posted: 3/14/2020 2:01:06 AM
dewster

Bravo Dominik!  Your implementation of velocity is quite impressive!  Thank you for another video where we get to "scope out" the response!

Did you modify the EQ inductors at all?  The Big Briar I worked on had a noticeably different (worse) response on the volume side compared to the couple of EtherWaves I've worked on.

Posted: 3/14/2020 10:30:33 AM
JPascal

Thank you, Dominik, for sharing this. You should collaborate with Moog. This add-on for accelerating volume response, Thierrys or Dewsters add-ons for expanding the range of pitch - now we only need the add-on for temperature stability and a new approach has been found by lost and overcome the etherwave standard itself.

(Never this is a signal distorting 555 solution.)

Results, not the details, of my approach to the volume accelerating I also will post soon here. 

Posted: 3/14/2020 11:26:19 AM
DOMINIK

I must say that the Big Briars volume response was (and after modification is) working fine. There has been actually no need to recalibrate or even modify the volume nor the pitch side (the owner is a very good musician so it is well adjusted).

Add-Ons rule!

Btw. JPascal, your latest image showcasing the dynamic amplitude looks familiar.

Posted: 3/14/2020 11:47:25 AM
dewster

I should have been clearer Dominik, the volume field and response seemed fine, but the front panel knob didn't seem to have as useful a range as the EW, and "tuning" the volume side via the internal IF transformer seems somehow sloppier / less distinct than the EW.  I may have been dealing with a very early model - did the one you worked on have the puckering / extensive surgery to the bottom power traces (pix here)?

Posted: 3/14/2020 12:59:10 PM
DOMINIK

The knob has a useful range! Maybe not so heavy, but yes – the bottom of the PCB looks similar..

Posted: 3/18/2020 1:08:51 PM
rupertchappelle

With the Model 302 all that can be done in hand. If you are fast enough.

Posted: 3/18/2020 8:48:19 PM
JPascal

Rupert, 30 ms attack period or 300 ms, same amplitude in loudness, without any change of a knob? Karate Kid?

Posted: 3/19/2020 7:04:15 AM
DOMINIK

In this video Rupert is showcasing the Harrison 302. Watch it over on YT otherwise it might be delayed.
https://youtu.be/ZtWvNXJA26Q?t=734
I have put the starting point to the beginning of the then following demo of volume response. Rupert, each and any theremin can be adjusted to a snappy volume response. So: no, all that can not be done with the 302. The thing is to have both and anything in between without adjusting volume for each: a comfortable sized field where fast movements still give percussive sounds.. This is just to declare not to convince.

Posted: 3/23/2020 2:55:49 PM
rupertchappelle

The amplitude is not consistent at speed. Why should it be? I am fast. Any fair distortion pedal can also redefine the envelope quite nicely. It will take about a month for me to put together the next 60 pieces if the xmas sessions are too difficult due to complexity. the new batch will be solos, not duos. Perhaps easier on the less jaded and mature ear. I even have a few with the zombie theremin pedal. the kmise crunch distortion does some sweet tone modification. 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.