Loose Pitch Antenna, Calibrating a Theremin

Posted: 4/14/2020 9:15:59 AM
MyersJMark

Hey guys! New to the forum. I’ve been playing Theremin for about 3 years now. I have a few questions.

I own an etherwave standard. Lovely instrument. My favorite! So it seems the pitch antenna is not completely free of play when the bolt is tightened. Is this normal? There’s just a little side to side play. It only moves if you move it. 

Also, is there a guide for how to check your Theremin to make sure everything is 100% calibrated and ready to go? Thanks!

Posted: 4/14/2020 5:19:03 PM
dewster

"I own an etherwave standard. Lovely instrument. My favorite! So it seems the pitch antenna is not completely free of play when the bolt is tightened. Is this normal? There’s just a little side to side play. It only moves if you move it."  - MyersJMark

That should be OK.  If you want it tighter you can take a couple of wrenches and make it tight enough to crimp the ferrule onto the antenna rod.  After that, loosen it up and just make it finger tight, and the play should be mostly gone.  Be careful not to stress the connection to the box when doing this.

"Also, is there a guide for how to check your Theremin to make sure everything is 100% calibrated and ready to go?"

Outside of the instructions that come with it, and the info available here at TW and other Theremin sites, not that I know of.

Posted: 4/14/2020 6:19:00 PM
MyersJMark

"I own an etherwave standard. Lovely instrument. My favorite! So it seems the pitch antenna is not completely free of play when the bolt is tightened. Is this normal? There’s just a little side to side play. It only moves if you move it."  - MyersJMarkThat should be OK.  If you want it tighter you can take a couple of wrenches and make it tight enough to crimp the ferrule onto the antenna rod.  After that, loosen it up and just make it finger tight, and the play should be mostly gone.  Be careful not to stress the connection to the box when doing this."Also, is there a guide for how to check your Theremin to make sure everything is 100% calibrated and ready to go?"Outside of the instructions that come with it, and the info available here at TW and other Theremin sites, not that I know of.

Thank you for your response! Can you explain that process a little more in depth to me? What do you mean by crimp the ferrule with a wrench? 

Thanks!

Posted: 4/14/2020 9:08:16 PM
senior_falcon

The etherwave uses compression fittings used in plumbing to hold the volume loop and pitch rod. Here's a 2 minute video explaining the process far better than I can:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u77SJgIS4mY
You don't want to overstress the right angle fitting that goes into the wooden case, so use a wrench on that and a wrench on the nut.  The Moog instructions say:
"Use a 5/8" open end wrench to tighten the compression nut. Tighten it so that it squeezes the ring onto the antenna so tightly that, when the compression nut is unscrewed, the ring is firmly in place on the antenna. "
Caution would not hurt here - tighten a little and if it isn't enough, tighten some more next time.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.