Etherwave Tuning help.

Posted: 8/1/2020 5:01:36 AM
Djmaxus

Hi all just got a used etherwave standard (2014 model).
When i got it the package was in horrible condition (thanks again UPS) so probably got jolted and jiggled a lot in shipping. 
I had a pitch range of about 3 notes and after 4 days of tuning following any and every guide to doing so I get 2 bass octaves only. 
I have a hz counter and have L6 and L5 tuned to 286khz  according to one of the instructions (performance is best when set at 286khz, still only 2 octaves but at least playable).
I have checked my ground connections and antenna connections and have also inspected the board for damage or bad solder joints or anything out of the ordinary and nothing. Also checked the ferrite lugs and no cracks...
I have tried moving the internal wire to the pitch antenna up or down with little to no change. 
I'm very technical savvy too not one of the people that are scared to even open it (no offense). I'm in the process of building Bob moogs em theremin (1996 instructions) also. 
I would really like to start playing this beauty and am at a loss at the moment. Is this thing broken? Or am I not doing something I should be? Please help! At this rate I'll keep playing my 80 dollar zep theremin over my 500 dollar etherwave. 
Thank you in advance!!

Posted: 8/1/2020 2:12:36 PM
dewster

"I had a pitch range of about 3 notes and after 4 days of tuning following any and every guide to doing so I get 2 bass octaves only." - Djmaxus

If you have a DMM check the continuity of the pitch side chokes.  If you have a scope I would suggest you set a probe near the pitch antenna and tune for maximum voltage, and proceed from there.  And there's always the chance that ESD has hobbled it.

The EW is notoriously difficult to tune even when the electronics are known to be 100% fine.  And the tuning guides just muddy the waters IMO.

Posted: 8/1/2020 2:36:37 PM
oldtemecula

The EM Theremin is from a time Bob Moog was still trying to figure it out. Theremin designs are always evolving.

I suggest you look at this post:

http://thereminworld.com/forums/T/32972?post=218417#218417

Then this thread:

http://thereminworld.com/forums/T/33204?post=218453#218453

DJ Said:  I'm very technical savvy too not one of the people that are scared to even open it

The theremin kicks everyone's ass at times, some more than others.

Christopher  

Posted: 8/1/2020 4:09:22 PM
Djmaxus

So I checked choke continuity.
L2 and L3 read around 25 ohms, L1 says infinite ohms. 
I think i found my problem. 

As for the EM theremin I kinda went with that one cause it had the most detailed guide.
I wasnt aware of how hard it was to find parts for it. 
I found all the chokes though. Couldn't find the toko variables. But I was able to find some others with the same value on ebay from Russia. 
I have basically all the parts except resistors and some caps. Saved the easiest parts for last lol. 
Now its become a learning experience instead of just wanting a cheap theremin. (Was originally the plan)
Hence why I decided to get the etherwave standard. 

The whole technical savvy thing was more to say i know more about components and what they do and curcuits ect... not to say it wasn't kicking my ass.

Will try replacing L1 and see what happens. 
Do you know what inductance is L1 on a 2014 model? 
Or would L2 and L3 be the same so I could test inductance in one of those as a reference. Hopefully its 10 5 or 2.5 MH
Since I have spares.

Posted: 8/1/2020 4:23:44 PM
Djmaxus

Alright tested inductance of L2 and L3 and both read right around 10.40 MH 
I have a spare that reads 10.15 MH
Close enough to swap out?

Posted: 8/1/2020 4:41:41 PM
oldtemecula

If you are in Europe this could work

https://elcodis.com/parts/1278527/1535G.html

The Pitch oscillator circuit needs to be tuned to slightly above the resonate frequency of the antenna series choke configuration.

There is no magic about 286 kHz, that is just what Moog references. Your antenna circuit could be 270 kHz.

That was a good observation by dewster

Christopher

Posted: 8/1/2020 4:48:55 PM
Djmaxus

I am in the USA but this is what i already have

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/JW-Miller/4672?qs=ZslhK9F48ZEojIAQJ9ZJUQ%3D%3D

I'll give it a shot and post the results. 

Posted: 8/1/2020 5:01:37 PM
oldtemecula

If it is about 10 mh my guess it would work. Mouser seems to lack info that I could read

If in the States, well tell me which State?

If in So California I will finance all your theremin exploring so you could build the finest theremin design ever conceived..

Christopher
www.Hwy79.com

Posted: 8/1/2020 5:03:13 PM
Djmaxus

I'm in Arizona close to so cal

Posted: 8/1/2020 5:19:02 PM
oldtemecula

Hey it is time for the web page roll over.

I use to spend a lot of time in the forgotten town of Douglas/Bisbee as a kid. The border from Mexico way back then was just a broken barbed wire fence.

Now that we are almost cousins I will still pay all the costs if you build my theremin design. I will even send you the PCB and Vactrol I use at no cost. There is a lot of info the public does not see but you will. The difficult part for me is mailing the stuff being a high risk to this virus stuff.

You are just young and wild enough you just might pull it off. Believe it or not most engineers fail at the theremin, they lack spunk.

Just let me know.

Christopher

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.