Searching for videos or testimony about several Boss effects

Posted: 9/7/2020 1:27:14 AM
Michaelsmoode

Hello all!

If anyone has this gear, I'm curious for thoughts about how well any one of them plays with Theremin (Etherwave):

Boss Harmonist (PS-6...or previous models)
Boss Equalizer (GE-7)
Boss Multi Overtone (MO-2)
Boss/Roland Space Echo (RE-20)

Would love to find video demos of these boxes with Theremin on Youtube, but have not. 

I'm dreaming up a new pedal-board for my rig!

MM

Posted: 9/7/2020 1:41:11 AM
oldtemecula

Hello Michael,

If you are looking for a better Classic Sound ... I am working on a non-intrusive Mod for the EtherWave Standard.

My approach has a wide range of knob adjusted Timbre here is a sample.  Less than $100 DIY

Features:  Null-Tuning,  Mute,  Pitch Preview,  Wave-Shape (sine to vocal), using the Electrodeum Antenna/Electrode 
the Pitch Field Linearity will be similar to the E-pro. This externally is a small wood box that sits on top of the EWS and 
replaces the entire Pitch side. Also it is very Pitch drift resistant.

Christopher   
www.Hwy79.com

Posted: 9/7/2020 8:15:09 AM
Michaelsmoode

Not really looking for a more "classic" sound. Rather, I'm looking for something that is theremin but not like what I'm getting from other effects. The Overtone pedal is what especially interests me. It seems quite different from other effects boxes I've played....Like a pitch shiftier, but not. But I'm not certain. Watched several demos of that pedal online with guitar--it doesn't seem to be a pitch shift pedal in the sense that I'm used to. But whatever it is, hearing how it affects the signal from a theremin is something I am very curious about. 

I have a graphic eq already, but it's not something I want to gig with. The Boss pedal looks like a good bet. Also have reverb/delay effects...but they all have a lot of different modes (reverse, multi tap, etc.). Subsequently, I'm too frequently fooling with these multi-effect boxes. A combined reverb/delay with only a few knobs and no dramatically different modes will limit distractions (my propensity to not play theremin and spend a show fooling with knobs on my delay). 

I played through a burrowed effects board that had some kind of harmonizer on it. Unsure what kind. It didn't respond to the theremin in a way that I expected it should if it had been fed a guitar signal. It was glitchy and wonderful without being so over-the-top or obnoxious. 

Posted: 9/7/2020 1:45:51 PM
dewster

Michaelsmoode,  you might try a multi-channel (2 or 3) parametric (freq, Q, level) filter.   I've never tried one with the EW, but with that you might be able to do human vocals, horns, etc.  A handful of resonances can be quite magical.

I'm pretty picky when it comes to reverb, and the space echo doesn't sound bad (in videos, I've never used one), but it doesn't seem to have a lot of actual reverb modes or control over them.

Also, have you considered a multi-effects pedal instead of a bunch of individual pedals?  Preset control is a really powerful thing.

Posted: 9/7/2020 4:12:31 PM
DreadVox

The only Boss pedal I have is the V-Wah, which does have a 'vocal' effect that is somewhat useful to set a formant filter, though by far not as convincing as the EHX Talking machine. The U-Vibe effect in it is ok too for something resembling a rotating speaker effect. Not using it much though.
I do most of the time use a Vox ValveTronic Tonelab ST multieffect/modeler pedal (and have the original desktop version too, which isn't being made anymore) which has some very useful effects and amplifier and speaker cabinet modeling and memory banks to store settings. Originally got it for electric guitar but it works great with theremin as well, the Vox AC15 'Special' (modelling an old type of AC15 with EF86 as preamp tube), the AC30 'Standard' and US Blues 'Special' as well as the Clean 'Custom' (= emulation of tube equalizer/pre-amp) are my favorite clean sounding amp modellings on it, for direct recording or a full frequency response amplifier/powered speaker/PA a speaker emulation is a nice option too.

Posted: 9/8/2020 2:59:20 AM
DreadVox

Forgot to tell I also use a BOSS RC-202 Loop Station, which has several useful effects included (for instance: Slicer, Tremolo, Autopanning, Ring Modulator, Delay, Reverb, Equalizer, Pitch Shifter).
Sometimes I plug the stereo output (with speaker emulation engaged) from the ToneLab into the Looper Station, but mostly I capture the sound going through a Fender Greta tiny tube amp into a 40s/50s vintage open back radio extention speaker cabinet with a Zoom H2n Handy Recorder and the headphones/line-out fromthe Zoom connected to the mini-jack input of the looper.

Some of the results can be heard on my YT channel:
YT - Dread_Rat EarthDragon
Specifically in these playlists:
Quarantined Solo Sessions
DreadVox Theremin Live Sessions

Posted: 9/11/2020 7:16:56 AM
Michaelsmoode

Michaelsmoode,  you might try a multi-channel (2 or 3) parametric (freq, Q, level) filter.   I've never tried one with the EW, but with that you might be able to do human vocals, horns, etc.  A handful of resonances can be quite magical.I'm pretty picky when it comes to reverb, and the space echo doesn't sound bad (in videos, I've never used one), but it doesn't seem to have a lot of actual reverb modes or control over them.Also, have you considered a multi-effects pedal instead of a bunch of individual pedals?  Preset control is a really powerful thing.

Yes--I demoed some multi-effects pedals...But found that only a handful of settings made me happy....And those settings were better accomplished by individual stomp boxes.

I'm mostly sold on the space echo. It does all that I want it to do. I have other delays that have a lot of features and I have a really nice delay that's irreplaceable--but when I get out to play, I want access to reverb, tap tempo delay and that's about it. 

Thanks for the recs. regarding a filter. I've been using the Moog Murf at home....And I've gotten some really surprising sounds out of it. But like my very nice delay, I don't want to take the Murf out to gigs.  What I want is something that will sweeten the signal going into my keyboard amp--but I don't want a lot more than that. I want to avoid "feature creep" with this gig rig I'm putting together. 

Posted: 9/11/2020 7:19:12 AM
Michaelsmoode

Forgot to tell I also use a BOSS RC-202 Loop Station, which has several useful effects included (for instance: Slicer, Tremolo, Autopanning, Ring Modulator, Delay, Reverb, Equalizer, Pitch Shifter).Sometimes I plug the stereo output (with speaker emulation engaged) from the ToneLab into the Looper Station, but mostly I capture the sound going through a Fender Greta tiny tube amp into a 40s/50s vintage open back radio extention speaker cabinet with a Zoom H2n Handy Recorder and the headphones/line-out fromthe Zoom connected to the mini-jack input of the looper.Some of the results can be heard on my YT channel:YT - Dread_Rat EarthDragonSpecifically in these playlists:Quarantined Solo SessionsDreadVox Theremin Live Sessions

You mention some cool gear that I wish I had! The Gretta and the Talking Machine in particular!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.