Songs for newbies

Posted: 5/15/2021 11:26:50 PM
Bobdigital

Hey everyone! Got my theremin about a month ago, and I am wondering what songs you learned or played along with when you started (that are NOT classical pieces). I have had luck with Bjork,  The Chromatics,  Angelo Badalamenti, The Doors, and a few others. Excited to see your responses!

Posted: 8/3/2021 5:42:21 PM
thereminiest

I've only been playing for about 3 months now but I've really enjoyed playing along to Sigur Ros. Specifically the Valtari album. I've also had fun playing along with some Klaus Nomi songs. (Also, yay to Badalamenti and Chromatics!) 

Posted: 8/15/2021 3:55:03 PM
Guillaume

I know you said no classical... but I just about managed to get the first section of Handel's Sarabande after a couple of weeks of playing with my new v3. I've found both the Russian and British national anthems to be reasonably intuitive, starting from position 5 (I'm still struggling with jumps between pos 2 & 3 and anything beyond 5 ). Sarabande has a gentle escalation beyond position 8 which I found fun to fumble with. The Russian anthem has individual phrases that echo each other; I started those phrases on either pos 1 or 5, so essentially it's a great practicing exercise of repeating similar successions of positions, with a fab tune.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.