Actual information on Claravox

Posted: 6/3/2021 4:27:54 PM
bendra

Here's the manual. Please, no grousing. Just trying to share info

https://back.moogmusic.com/sites/default/files/2021-06/Claravox_Centennial_Web_Manual.pdf

Posted: 6/3/2021 5:13:44 PM
dewster

Thanks bendra!

I think the diagrams on pages 69 and 70 are the most informative in terms of architecture.

I'm extremely curious regarding linearization of the pitch field, and the description in the "Response" knob in the manual didn't make a lot of sense to me as it only "tilts" the sensitivity one way or the other.  Upon reflection, I think this knob is in fact a way to change overall sensitivity of the field, where you set the null point to give a non-linear mid-field and then turn the "Response" knob until the mid-field is linear again.  So it doesn't address the near-field non-linear "tightness" commonly found on analog Theremins, but it is likely a sort of indirect way to adjust bulk sensitivity without losing the inherent analog linearity of the mid-field.

I'm also struck that the two modes (modern and traditional) can't be used together, but I guess it makes sense.

Posted: 6/3/2021 7:23:54 PM
ContraDude

Here's the manual. Please, no grousing. Just trying to share infohttps://back.moogmusic.com/sites/default/files/2021-06/Claravox_Centennial_Web_Manual.pdf

I received the same link earlier today. I’m wondering if it was supposed to be shared as the URL doesn’t seem to be what might be expected. Just the same, this provides considerably more information, which is a good thing. 

Posted: 6/4/2021 2:11:10 AM
ContraDude

Yup! Moog has just posted a different URL to the manual on their site: Claravox Manual.

They have posted MIDI specifications

Also, a link has been provided to the software (although just the link is available - no editor at the time this was posted): Claravox Editor.

Enjoy 😉 

Posted: 6/4/2021 11:53:28 PM
Gibarian

The iOS & MacOS editor is live.

Posted: 6/5/2021 2:35:09 PM
dewster

ContraDude got this image in an email from Prymax and he graciously shared it with me:

Too bad these pix aren't on the Moog web site, it would be nice to see them with more resolution.

Anyway, Roger pointed out that the controls are on one huge PCB, which is a little expensive but probably more than defrays the labor costs of wiring up a bunch of controls by hand.

There are smaller PCBs mounted to the case below each antenna mount, and there are access holes below the antenna mounts probably to adjust something, I'm guessing a coil slug or a capacitor.  There may be analog oscillators on these boards, or just EQ inductors, I can't tell, but I'm betting oscillators.

There appears to be a large black box at the base which might contain the main guts, as well as the rear panel connectivity.

I'd also bet that the heterodyning going on in the "traditional" mode is between analog oscillator and a digitally generated signal, but I guess we'll see and know a lot more once a proper tear-down can be performed.

The walnut is pretty!  And I like the brass accents.

[EDIT] I just checked the manual and there doesn't seem to be any mention of those brass accented holes or what they might be used for.  Kind of odd to go to that much manufacturing expense and not talk about it somewhere.  The holes are too far away to be a support for the pitch arm.

Posted: 6/5/2021 4:00:33 PM
Guillaume

The manual does mention a tuner included in the box (see p5), so that’d make sense. Unless it’s something to do with left handed units?

Posted: 6/5/2021 4:21:18 PM
dewster

"The manual does mention a tuner included in the box (see p5), so that’d make sense. Unless it’s something to do with left handed units?"  - Guillaume

Ah, good catch!  I foolishly was looking in the technical section, where it's not mentioned:

"Regarding the Inductor Coil Adjustment Tool:
This tool is provided as a convenience for any
potential future calibration adjustments. Over
the lifetime of the instrument, your theremin's
coils may need adjustment at some point. If such
a time ever arises, you may find yourself advised
by Moog's Service Department to perform a sim-
ple recalibration. In the event of such a situation,
an "Inductor Coil Adjustment Tool" has been
provided. Do not use the Inductor Coil Adjust-
ment Tool without direction from Moog Music."

So if your coils go out of alignment you'll automatically get a call from Moog...

Posted: 6/6/2021 7:13:52 PM
dewster

So bendra, anything to report on the Claravox?

Posted: 6/6/2021 7:17:54 PM
ContraDude

So bendra, anything to report on the Claravox?

He just posted a video on facebook. I'd like to hear his impressions as to how it compares to other theremins he's played.  

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.