Actual information on Claravox

Posted: 8/10/2021 8:41:26 PM
dewster

johnthom, did you try tweaking the volume coil, like 1/8 of a turn or something, and then performing the calibration procedures?  Then rinse & repeat until you reach a local maxima?  I don't know, but I imagine they're generating the heterodyne mix waveform via DSP or similar (this is what I would do if I were designing a hybrid instrument like the Claravox) which would make the calibration step rather integral to the coil tuning procedure.

If they are employing a series coil on the volume side then it might be the case that the coil is damaged - large value RF chokes can be rather fragile.

Posted: 8/11/2021 5:21:19 AM
DiggyDog

I received serial #00132 yesterday and today it’s dead.

No output from the main or headphone jacks.

I’ve emailed Moog tech support band it looks like they will be pretty busy. 

I ordered from Prymaxe and after a bad experience with a defective guitar pedal and their lack of an exchange policy I asked them about the procedure if the Claravox didn’t work.

They promised me it would work and when I asked them how they could guarantee that I was told they tested each product before it goes out.  I know this isn’t true and my a Claravox had not been assembled or tested when I got it. 

I’ll keep everyone posted. 

Posted: 8/11/2021 4:28:37 PM
tcordara

Since I’ve been playing on serial 0034, I’ve also noticed the “pop” of sound a lot - it reminds me of the Etherwave standard when you lightly brush up against the volume loop. Also, the pitch will jump by itself, randomly so, as if I’ve touched one of the input jacks or knobs, without actually touching anything.

When I first received serial 0029 I had no sound output in the headphone or audio out jacks either - it would randomly work, but only for a short while before stopping. When I plugged into the tuner output, my amp would make a VERY loud beep tone about every 5-7 seconds…. Even with the amp was muted. Very, very strange.  Where I’m disappointed that others are also having issues, I think it will now get the attention it deserves to resolve the problems.

Posted: 8/13/2021 10:40:57 AM
Gibarian

My Claravox arrived yesterday, serial number #00040. I'm so happy.

Both antenna threads have tiny scratches, which is probably/hopefully from testing.

Posted: 8/14/2021 3:07:03 PM
tcordara

Today, the pitch on my Claravox was jumping uncontrollably making it so I could not play during my lesson. Swapped out to my e-pro.

I sent a recap and attached a video to MOOG. So frustrating. 

Posted: 8/14/2021 4:13:34 PM
dewster

"Today, the pitch on my Claravox was jumping uncontrollably making it so I could not play during my lesson."  - tcordara

Since you were able to change the register, I assume this is happening in the "Modern" mode?  Does it also jump in the "Traditional" mode?

Also wondering if the instability comes and goes, maybe somewhat correlated with the time of day?

"Swapped out to my e-pro."

Was that experiencing any instability?

Posted: 8/14/2021 8:23:36 PM
bendra

Subjectively that sounds like a sudden change in capacitance, like when I would briefly touch one of the metal buttons on my Etherwave while playing. 

Posted: 8/14/2021 8:23:38 PM
bendra

Subjectively that sounds like a sudden change in capacitance, like when I would briefly touch one of the metal buttons on my Etherwave while playing. 

Posted: 8/14/2021 9:14:27 PM
tcordara

I haven’t tested to see if the problem happens in traditional mode.

No instability with the e-pro, so it’s definitely an issue with the instrument and not surrounding area, amp, cables etc.

Frustrating…

Posted: 8/14/2021 9:14:28 PM
tcordara

I haven’t tested to see if the problem happens in traditional mode.

No instability with the e-pro, so it’s definitely an issue with the instrument and not surrounding area, amp, cables etc.

Frustrating…

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.