Actual information on Claravox

Posted: 10/23/2021 12:47:52 AM
SplineReticulator

I got mine today from Sweetwater. Its serial number is also less than 100. 89, to be precise. I also have no clue how the heck it took so long to get 89 when people are getting them deep into the 400's at this point (a user in the facebook group has gotten 467). Honestly though? I like the number 89.Regardless, I went ahead and assembled mine. I noticed on unpacking that while the pitch antenna came in a plastic sleeve that was sealed on both ends... the volume antenna was in a sleeve that was open on the flat end that goes into the body and it did look like someone took that flat spot to a grinder. So it could be that this late in the game, any of the 155 and unders that havent been sent out yet have gotten the repairs/upgrade.So far I have not had any issues with mine, though admittedly I've only messed around with it for about an hour so far before coming online to report my findings. I'll continue to monitor how it goes; based on testimonies of others it seems that if its going to fail, it will do so a day or two later.

Nice. Glad to hear that it seems okay. Mine is 68. I contacted Sweetwater and they said that they just got it on 10/18 and shipped it out the next day. It looks like several lower number units must have been shipped to them recently. I contacted Moog and they recommended sending it in to bring it up to current specs. It's already in FedEx's hands and on its way to Ashville. Maybe I should have given it a shot for a bit but I kind of figured if I'm going to send it back eventually for being one of the lower numbers, I might as well do it right away.

Posted: 10/24/2021 2:18:27 PM
cheesemaster

...but I kind of figured if I'm going to send it back eventually for being one of the lower numbers, I might as well do it right away.

I'm curious what the turnaround time is on this service, from drop-off at FedEx to back at your home. I've been procrastinating sending mine (#0092) back because I don't want to be without it longer than necessary.

Posted: 10/25/2021 1:57:00 PM
dewster

"Mine is 68. I contacted Sweetwater and they said that they just got it on 10/18 and shipped it out the next day. It looks like several lower number units must have been shipped to them recently. I contacted Moog and they recommended sending it in to bring it up to current specs."  - SplineReticulator

I'm confused.  Why is Moog shipping these low serial number units out in the first place, only to recommend folks ship them right back?  Seems wasteful and a needless burden / extra delay for the new owners, most of whom already had to wait almost a year for the thing.

It's not like the known Claravox volume issues (poor antenna connectivity, unresponsive mute switch software bug, audio leakage in traditional mode, etc.) were discovered yesterday.

Posted: 10/25/2021 5:50:52 PM
Yngvox Moogsteen

Received 333 today, plays great.  Enjoying traditional mode more for now.  Not sure I calibrated modern mode right.  It was worth the wait...

Posted: 10/25/2021 6:58:46 PM
Yngvox Moogsteen

I ordered from Sweetwater 7 months ago.  They told me it would be well after the new year.  I was looking on EBay for the heck of if and Pitbull sad they had 3 in stock.  He told me the serial numbers. I picked 333.  Ordered Tuesday last week.  Recieved it today.  Crazy... I would have had it quicker but Fedex delays.   I love it....I know how luck I am..

Posted: 10/25/2021 8:21:26 PM
Thomas

I tried out SN 500 today.  My volume antenna bag was open on one end, but the pitch antenna was sealed. Both looked and worked fine. I didn’t have any problems with them. I followed the tuning directions, and I haven’t noticed the ghost glissandi with the headphones or the line out. For maybe an inch above the volume antenna it’s dead quiet. I noticed the mute button only works on line out, not with the headphones. Maybe that’s the way it should be.

I played around with both traditional mode and modern mode and the volume seemed similar for both. Sounds really great with my amp.

I messed with the settings, still learning it. So far I’m happy with it. If I run into any problems, I’ll post about it.

I wound up using my video cam tripod. It’s  the right height for me and gives me a lot of flexibility. It’s probably sturdier than the moog stand. If I do see one available, maybe I’ll pick one up.

Posted: 10/26/2021 6:03:22 PM
Yngvox Moogsteen

I don’tt know why Moog put modern mode calibration on a page in back of Manuel.  After calibration it is a lot easier to switch between modes.  I don’t like presets on either mode but analog seems easier to alter so far but I just started  in modern mode .because I just got calibration right.  I have noticed volume is hard to get to zero on analog but is barely noticeable.  May try compression and other things but so far it’s not that bad.. Love playability 

Posted: 10/26/2021 6:29:04 PM
Yngvox Moogsteen

I own a Korg miniloge.   Does anyone know how to use midi on Claravox to control miniloge instead of keyboard?  I think it’s possible. I have never used midi so I know nothing but would love to use oscillators and filters on Korg to shape sound.  Also what it the least expensive IPad that will run 14.3 so Claravox app will run? Does anyone know about android version? Thanks 

Posted: 10/26/2021 6:43:31 PM
Op106

I don’tt know why Moog put modern mode calibration on a page in back of Manuel.  After calibration it is a lot easier to switch between modes.  I don’t like presets on either mode but analog seems easier to alter so far but I just started  in modern mode .because I just got calibration right.  I have noticed volume is hard to get to zero on analog but is barely noticeable.  May try compression and other thins but so far it’s not that bad.. Love playability

Hi Yngvox Moogsteen, I've been emailing with Moog about this behavior in "traditional" mode where it won't quite go to no volume, and they're saying that it is not normal and they want me to send it back for service. I posted on one of the Claravox Facebook pages and it seems like this is a pretty common issue with the instruments.
I've noticed that if I touch the volume antenna and ground myself by touching something else grounded, I am able to get the volume almost entirely to zero, which is making me wonder if it's a grounding issue with the Claravox. It seems weird that the instrument would perform so well except for this volume issue. It would be so nice if it were just say a power supply issue and not actually something that requires the instrument be serviced...

Posted: 10/26/2021 7:03:51 PM
Yngvox Moogsteen

I have a idea I want to try.  In analog mode calibrate volume like you do in modern with mute on.  I am going to try it in a little while,,,

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.