Actual information on Claravox

Posted: 12/23/2021 3:14:11 AM
johnthom

I sent mine back for the 2nd time last week. Still having issues with the volume side of things, can't seem to get a workable field size of more than about 2 inches in modern mode, great for staccato playing but not much else. In traditional mode I can't get the volume to completely mute.  In addition, I have the weird octave jump followed by random timbre change thing happening during the first 15 minutes after power on.  I also left it on overnight and found that the next day the mute was stuck on, had to power cycle it. Other than that, things are great.

Posted: 1/5/2022 3:34:19 AM
johnthom

I sent mine back for the 2nd time last week. Still having issues with the volume side of things, can't seem to get a workable field size of more than about 2 inches in modern mode, great for staccato playing but not much else. In traditional mode I can't get the volume to completely mute.  In addition, I have the weird octave jump followed by random timbre change thing happening during the first 15 minutes after power on.  I also left it on overnight and found that the next day the mute was stuck on, had to power cycle it. Other than that, things are great.

Follow up on my recent repairs....

Moog resolved all of my quirky issues and volume response problem.  I can say that my Claravox is working as advertised, zero remaining issues.  I have to say Moog support has been excellent (I worked with Zac).  He really did care about ALL of my issues, large or small, and addressed them all.  

Posted: 1/5/2022 3:46:03 AM
Op106

I can say that my Claravox is working as advertised, zero remaining issues.  I have to say Moog support has been excellent (I worked with Zac).  He really did care about ALL of my issues, large or small, and addressed them all.

Zac worked on mine as well and was very thoughtful and helpful indeed. When you say zero remaining issues, do you mean that they were able to get your sound to go all the way to zero in traditional mode? I still have a very faint glissando even with my hand all the way inside the loop.

Posted: 1/5/2022 4:10:11 AM
bendra

Lame, but sounds like it could be solved with a $35 noise gate pedal

Posted: 1/5/2022 4:57:01 AM
johnthom

To be fair I do still have a very faint signal leaking through in traditional mode as well but its way better than it was, barely audible.  Zac's comments to me specifically on this issue...

I must advise you that due to the design of the circuit and the fact that it is not controlled digitally the way that modern mode is, there will always be some artifacts of the signal in traditional mode if you listen carefully enough. This is the case on all Claravoxes. In other words it is normal for it to not cut out completely but there are steps to take to make sure that it does not interfere with performance. It is totally fine to use the main outs, as you will also hear signal through the headphones if you crank it loud enough.  It is definitely more likely that you will hear it if you are playing through an amp so I would definitely look into gain staging or plugging a sustain pedal into the mute switch jack if it continues to be noticeable. All that said, I made sure to test this behavior on your Claravox both before and after calibrating it and there was a drastic improvement in the volume of the signal you heard when your hand is in the antenna loop.

Posted: 1/5/2022 8:54:11 AM
gingercat

I just checked. Mine does it too in traditional mode but I have to turn the volume up a fair bit to hear it. Touching the antenna mutes it completely. Usually while playing you don't have long silences so I never noticed before. 

Posted: 1/5/2022 4:41:53 PM
bendra

FYI my volume knob stopped working last week, so I've sent #21 back to Moog for repairs. Id been planning to do this anyway to get all the latest fixes. Hopefully it comes back soon better than ever!

Posted: 1/8/2022 4:48:24 PM
cishepard

Does anyone know what Serial # Moog is up to, these days? Just wondering how many Claravox are in existence. My new one manufactured Nov. 18, 2021 is #838.

Posted: 1/10/2022 4:50:23 AM
gingercat

Does anyone know what Serial # Moog is up to, these days? Just wondering how many Claravox are in existence. My new one manufactured Nov. 18, 2021 is #838.

Someone on FB got one with serial number 1006 a few days ago. I got No 228 just before Christmas. Go Figure 

Posted: 1/12/2022 10:53:47 PM
ellenm901

Just received my Claravox. It is supposed to be a left handed model, (what I ordered), and even says so on the box, but the antenna receiving plates are set up for right handed playing. Very disappointed, I have waited a year for this. Guess it will go back for fixing.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.