Actual information on Claravox

Posted: 2/3/2022 8:57:03 PM
ellenm901

What a good idea. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all of the parameters.

Posted: 2/5/2022 1:16:26 AM
gingercat

What a good idea. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all of the parameters.

Yup I'm not 100% certain what the parameters do either other than just experimenting with them. I expected something similar to a synth but ....

there were repositories online for theremini presets - I think I had downloaded all that I could find at the time

Posted: 2/11/2022 5:25:06 PM
OmTiommm

Wondering if anyone got it in Ontario Canada?  I ordered last March but the shipping day has changed multiple times, late June,late July, October, End of Dec, now its end of Jan since last updated i hear.

Posted: 2/17/2022 12:24:26 AM
Peragere

Wondering if anyone got it in Ontario Canada?  I ordered last March but the shipping day has changed multiple times, late June, late July, October, End of Dec, now its end of Jan since last updated i hear.

I ordered in December of 2020... I was in the same boat as you with updates... latest I've received was an update in December 2021 that it has been extended to April 2022.

Hope it's worth the wait... I had to pay upfront .. so have about $2700 AUD tied up in the Theremin, $480 tied up in the stand and another $289 tied up in a two year extended warranty.

Posted: 2/17/2022 11:56:34 PM
gingercat

2.Hope it's worth the wait... 

Definately worth the wait  I ordered in early November 2020 and received mine in December 2021 and thought that was a long time considering I live at the bottom of the South Pacific

Posted: 2/18/2022 12:47:18 AM
Peragere

2.Hope it's worth the wait... Definitely worth the wait  I ordered in early November 2020 and received mine in December 2021 and thought that was a long time considering I live at the bottom of the South Pacific

Heh, I'm across the Tasman Sea from you in Australia.

Posted: 4/26/2022 1:00:09 PM
wonko

Hi,

I own Claravox #00447, am Australian, and am a relative newcomer to Theremins (I have owned a Theremini for over a year, got the 'Vox 2 months ago after a long wait on order awaiting stock). I am confused about the numbering, it seems they are not produced or distributed sequentially as other, older owners have numbers higher than mine. Curious.

Tonight I explored traditional mode, timbre 1, mid brightness and mid wave, but messed around with the delay. I love the interval and feedback controls on the delay unit - scrubbing vibrato in the low bass range makes glorious ominous resonate washes that sustain, allowing higher octave augmentation in an abstract but richly atmospheric way. Closing my eyes I am transported to another world. The bass response is so lush and chocolatey - I am using monitor headphones as I do not have an amp/speaker yet, but the bass gives me chills. I must try that again, recording the phones out to my minidisk in stereo.

I know that my first experiences with amplified Theremini last year (I gigged, and was plugged into a mixed PA) showed me a whole new depth and dynamic of sound, and am keen to seek opinion on what amp would suit the 'Vox, and yet not break my bank

What should I look for in a speaker-box thing. I am not very savvy in this regard, but noticed the Theremini was really hot into a guitar amp, I had to really turn the gain down to get it listenable. I would appreciate advice. It's use would, initially, be for home practice, but possibly for small ensemble performance also.

Posted: 4/26/2022 2:33:39 PM
dewster

"It's use would, initially, be for home practice, but possibly for small ensemble performance also."  - wonko

This is a deep subject. 

Decent headphones will beat the best speakers every time, and also keep one from disturbing others during play (especially during practice) so that is what I use mainly (audio-technica ATH AD700, alas discontinued).  I prefer open air headphones because I can hear what's going on in the room, they tend to be more comfortable to wear long-term, and they're just more natural sounding.

I also use a small PC speaker setup which is a small heavily modified sub and custom sats.  Too underpowered for anything but close monitoring and perhaps performances in a small room.  So powered monitors are something you might look into as they tend to have flatter frequency response than home speakers and such.  To go really low you'll probably need a dedicated subwoofer.

There's also the question of stereo or mono.  If you're using an external reverb it will generally supply a pseudo-stereo effect, and to get the full impact of this you'll need headphones or stereo speakers.

Posted: 4/26/2022 4:32:07 PM
bendra

I’d recommend a powered speaker rather than a guitar amp

Posted: 4/26/2022 7:35:15 PM
DreadVox

A small keyboard amp or acoustic amp would work well too.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.