Got an Etherwave Plus for free, it's not turning on

Posted: 8/7/2021 7:12:30 PM
dewster

49 pounds + 8 pounds shipping!  $79USD for a couple of dollars in parts.  I'm in the wrong biz... or in the right biz but doing it rong...

Posted: 8/8/2021 2:51:25 PM
Flounderguts

Yeah, but the Etherwave was FREE.

$80 for a power supply might also be cheaper than setting up your own DIY station...I'm certain I've spent more than that on wire strippers!

Posted: 8/8/2021 7:16:48 PM
dewster

"Yeah, but the Etherwave was FREE. $80 for a power supply might also be cheaper than setting up your own DIY station...I'm certain I've spent more than that on wire strippers!"  - Flounderguts

Oh I agree, just had to complain some.  And if the 110VAC wall wart got hit by 220VAC then a new and proper wall wart is probably the best place to start.

Posted: 8/8/2021 8:27:11 PM
iltli

Thanks all! 

quick update: I ordered that step down adapter from Amazon, and tried it with the Moog wart. Theremin still isn't powering on - I guess that's pretty much definitive proof that the wart is fried...

...or that it's not the right transformer at all? 

Reason I ask is because I cannot find an exact replacement of said USA wart - the 'Moog Music Class 2 Transformer', which came in the box - anywhere for sale online. I'm wondering if it's even legit at this rate.

Also, the 'Etherwave theremin powersupply' listed on Thomann (cheers for the link DreadVox!) is EU/UK. Given that I'm in the UK, would there be any other factors other apart from voltages that could be f**king this up? 

I.e. if it wasn't fried, would the USA wart definitely work to power the theremin on? Or is the fact that I'm in the UK and using a USA step-down and wart causing additional problems?

Posted: 8/9/2021 1:14:09 AM
dewster

"I.e. if it wasn't fried, would the USA wart definitely work to power the theremin on? Or is the fact that I'm in the UK and using a USA step-down and wart causing additional problems?"  - iltli

I believe feeding 50Hz to a 60Hz transformer will generate more heat?  I mean, I assume that USA/UK adapter only steps the voltage down and doesn't do anything to the AC frequency.

Posted: 8/9/2021 11:46:43 PM
Flounderguts

I was just reading back on this thread...

is the problem for sure the power supply?

I'd check the power switch...I don't remember much else in the power supply part of the board...it just goes to a -12 linear reg and some cap filters, right?

But yeah, feeding LOWER freq to a transformer will drop impedance. 60 to 50 hz is a 20% drop, and could saturate the core due to the higher flux. If the voltage was lower by roughly a corresponding amount (20% ish) then you would probably be alright. Only we have no idea how well that step down adapter did its job, and it could have been feeding the tranformer >115 V @ 50 Hz. So yes, possibly fried.

Getting the proper PS from Thomann was the right first step, but getting proper power may not SOLVE your issue. I hope it does, tho!

Posted: 8/13/2021 5:43:40 PM
iltli

Just want to thank you all for your help... ordered that Thomann adapter (UK/EU) and it worked. It came with its own adapter, but unlike the US one, this one steps down from 240 to 120 and for that reason, it probably works with any EU->UK travel adapter.

Incredibly relieved that the theremin isn't bust. Besides I've made off with a bit more knowhow too.

Happy thereminning yall!

Posted: 8/13/2021 7:20:19 PM
dewster

iltli I'm glad it all worked out for you and your EW!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.