Etherwave Plus: mic stand interference and tuning tips

Posted: 8/11/2021 11:49:17 AM
Spider76

Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum and to the world of theremins: it always was a dream of mine and I finally realized it by getting one of the last Etherwaves I could find in EU (they're apparently discontinued now).

Of course I'm a total newbie but I've studied hard lots of manuals and tutorials before deciding the purchase. I know theremins are VERY sensitive to the surroundings, but what I didn't expect was the mic stand itself to completely mess the tuning.
In detail: when I set up the Etherwave on a wooden table, or even a metal X-stand (much bigger and heavier than the mic stand), everything works as expected: the volume knob actually regulates volume (turning it clockwise increases it, typical use setting around 1-2 o'clock), and the pitch knob fine-tunes pitch sensitivity (zero beat and more or less linear scaling when the knob is around 3 o'clock).

When I mount the theremin on a mic stand (straight single-pole type, with heavy round metal base), the behaviour is totally different. Pitch sensitivity is totally different, meaning not only that I have to turn back the tuning knob at around 12 o'clock, but also that scaling is different and pitch rises sharply when I stand back 1-2 meters from the instrument.
Also, the volume behaviour changes completely: adjusting the volume knob has basically no effect (it actually decreases a bit at maximum settings), I have to set it at minimum value, and instead of a smooth transistion, I hear a small "glitch" just before volume drops to silence.

The instrument is properly grounded, my music room is quite crowded but there are at least 4 feet from any furniture, keyboard or large objects. Just to make sure, I tried it in other rooms with more-less furniture, and the behaviour is the same, so I'm pretty sure it depends on the stand type.

I'm surprised I get these quirks on the mic stand and not on the X-stand, but that's how it is, and I know I will probably have to tune the etherwave.

Which brings me to the second part of my post: I'm a bit perplexed by the procedure. First of all, the manual that was included in my box is not the same as the one you can download from the Moog website. Mine is much more complete, with lots of information, circuit diagrams and the full procedure for building and calibrating the Etherwave (I guess it's the manual of the Kit version). The online manual does NOT include tuning instructions, which is a bit weird.

I couldn't find this version of the manual anywhere in pdf, but the text version is here:
https://translatedby.com/you/moog-etherwave-theremin-user-s-manual/original/

This is what it says about tuning the pitch:

Using a clip lead or a temporarily-soldered wire jumper, connect the two leads of C28 together. (C28 is a small capacitor, about 3" to the left of the PITCH ANTENNA connection on the ETHERWAVE circuit board.) Then connect the instrument's audio output to headphones or a monitor amplifier. Now follow these steps to adjust L5 and L6:
Set P1 (the Pitch Tuning control) to its mid-position.
Grasp and hold the pitch antenna with one hand. With the other hand, adjust L6 for zero beat. Note: If the slug in L5 is fully counterclockwise, you have to turn it clockwise a turn or so in order to hear zero beat.) Then carefully turn L6 counterclockwise until you hear a pitch of about 3 kHz (3-1/2 octaves above middle C.
Let go of the pitch antenna. Slowly retract your hand from the vicinity of the antenna. You will hear the pitch go down.
If the pitch does not go down to zero beat when you've retracted your hand completely and stepped back, then L5 is set to too low an inductance. Advance the slug in L5 (that is, turn it clockwise) a small amount - perhaps 1 /10 turn or so - and repeat steps 2 and 3.
If the pitch goes to zero beat and then begins to ascend as you retract your hand, then L5 is set to too high an inductance. Turn the slug in L5 counterclock­wise a small amount, and repeat steps 2 and 3.
If the pitch jumps abruptly to a very different pitch as you retract your hand, then L5 is set to far too high an inductance. Turn the slug in L5 counterclockwise perhaps 1/4 turn, and repeat steps 2 and 3.
Eventually you will converge on the proper settings of L5 and L6. The idea is to achieve settings in which the pitch is at zero beat when you've stepped away from the theremin, begins to ascend when your body is about 24" from the pitch antenna, and is about 3 kHz when your hand touches the pitch antenna. Tap lightly on L5 and L6 as you converge on the proper settings, as this will stabilize the tuning slug positions.

I'm a bit perplexed by the need to "short" or temporarily solder C28...I have no soldering skill and certainly won't try that on a brand-new instrument. Is it really necessary? All the tuning suggestions I've read make no mention at all of this.

Also, this procedure doesn't talk about linearity: will I end up with a more less linear tuning, or is there some other trick required for this?

The tuning of the volume knob seems much simpler:

B. Adjusting L11 without a voltmeter:
Remove the temporary shorting connection across C28. Install the volume antenna. Position your ETHERWAVE so that the volume antenna is at least a foot from furniture and other large objects. Follow these steps to adjust L11:
Set the VOLUME knob to its mid position.
Carefully turn the slug in L11 counterclockwise until it is out as far as it will go. Then turn on your amplifier and set its volume control so that the theremin tone will be audible but soft.
Slowly turn the slug clockwise. At some point you will hear the theremin tone. As you turn the slug in L11, the tone will get louder, reach a maximum loud­ness, and then get softer. Turn the slug back to the maximum loudness, and notice how loud the tone is.
Slowly turn the slug counterclockwise until the tone is about half its maximum loudness. You should then notice that bringing your hand near the volume antenna lowers the volume, and the tone is complete silent when your hand is two or three inches from the volume antenna.
This completes the tuning of the Volume Oscillator. In performance, the exact volume tuning is achieved by adjusting the Volume Tuning control.

I hope this makes sense to experienced users, if you have any commment or advice to give me before I embark on opening up my new theremin, all tips&tricks will be VERY welcome!
Thanks!

Posted: 8/11/2021 12:33:38 PM
dewster

I know theremins are VERY sensitive to the surroundings..."  - Spider76

Theremins are most sensitive to the closest semi-conductive thing. 

"... but what I didn't expect was the mic stand itself to completely mess the tuning."

The EW has table feet and all, but the EW is really meant to be mounted on a mic stand.

"...the volume knob actually regulates volume (turning it clockwise increases it, typical use setting around 1-2 o'clock), and the pitch knob fine-tunes pitch sensitivity (zero beat and more or less linear scaling when the knob is around 3 o'clock).

IIRC, the volume knob is more for changing the volume response, not the volume itself.

"...I will probably have to tune the etherwave."

It's inevitable, and the pitch side "correct" tuning is a pretty vague target IMO, even if you have a lot of test equipment.

"I'm a bit perplexed by the need to "short" or temporarily solder C28...I have no soldering skill and certainly won't try that on a brand-new instrument. Is it really necessary? All the tuning suggestions I've read make no mention at all of this."

That's to jack the volume full on during the pitch tuning.  One side of C28 is ground and the other goes to pin 2 on the AUX connector.  Pin 1 on the AUX connector is also ground, so you could solder some pins there and jumper it that way.  Or not, I don't think it's mandatory.

For tuning procedures, look here:
http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/33305/can-someone-give-me-an-idiot-proof-tutorial-on-how-best-to-do-an-internal-tuning-of-etherwave-standard

Posted: 8/11/2021 2:51:42 PM
Spider76

"The EW has table feet and all, but the EW is really meant to be mounted on a mic stand. "

Yes, that's what I find a bit contradictory: everybody knows theremins work best on a mic stand, moog itself repeatedly state so in the manual...and then they provide it with table feet and apparently (at least in my unit) optimize the factoy tuning for use on a table. Nothing tragic, just a bit confusing.

"IIRC, the volume knob is more for changing the volume response, not the volume itself."

Yes, still I find it behaves a bit strange, especially that audible glitch when approaching zero volume, instead of a smooth transition. May it be the hand crossing the "dead area" in the middle of the figure-8 pattern of the volume field?

"That's to jack the volume full on during the pitch tuning.  One side of C28 is ground and the other goes to pin 2 on the AUX connector.  Pin 1 on the AUX connector is also ground, so you could solder some pins there and jumper it that way.  Or not, I don't think it's mandatory.For tuning procedures, look here:http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/33305/can-someone-give-me-an-idiot-proof-tutorial-on-how-best-to-do-an-internal-tuning-of-etherwave-standard"

Thanks for the great explanation, and even more for the link! That topic is gold, from nonetheless than Amos himself!
I'm still a bit nervous about opening up my brand-new Etherwave but I have some experience, I've tampered with many synths, it's just that I have to get used to something that reacts to every movement and object even during tuning!

Posted: 8/11/2021 10:14:18 PM
dewster

"Yes, that's what I find a bit contradictory: everybody knows theremins work best on a mic stand, moog itself repeatedly state so in the manual...and then they provide it with table feet and apparently (at least in my unit) optimize the factoy tuning for use on a table. Nothing tragic, just a bit confusing."  - Spider76

I think the feet are mainly there to give clearance for the mic stand flange underneath, so that it sits flat and doesn't scratch things up when you set it down.

"Yes, still I find it behaves a bit strange, especially that audible glitch when approaching zero volume, instead of a smooth transition. May it be the hand crossing the "dead area" in the middle of the figure-8 pattern of the volume field?"

The volume field doesn't have that highly distinct a pattern, it's all a big mush when it comes to capacitance.  What's probably happening is the EQ inductor resonance is doing something weird and it just needs a proper tuning.

"Thanks for the great explanation, and even more for the link! That topic is gold, from nonetheless than Amos himself!  I'm still a bit nervous about opening up my brand-new Etherwave but I have some experience, I've tampered with many synths, it's just that I have to get used to something that reacts to every movement and object even during tuning!"

I would heed Roger's tuning advice, he really understands the EW and is an EE. 

The EW guts are more like a really old AM radio than a synth.  When you're in there don't stress out the RF chokes, don't exercise the variable inductors more than necessary, and go super easy when doing any soldering as the copper traces are just itching to peel off that cheesy phenolic.  They really should have used glass epoxy with plated through holes.

Posted: 8/11/2021 11:45:40 PM
RoyP

Spider76,

just to clear things up, for me at least.

When the theremin is on the stand (straight pole, heavy base) and you are in front of it at an arm's length away from the pitch antennae, can you get a zero beat setting?

If so, then you don't really need to go poking the innards.

You mentioned that [the] 'pitch rises sharply when I stand back 1-2 meters from the instrument'.

As I recall, this is normal as moving back from the pitch antennae you will get: high to low (pitch) then silence (zero beat) then low to high (pitch).
It's like a mirror image.

Posted: 8/12/2021 11:14:12 AM
Spider76

Spider76,just to clear things up, for me at least.When the theremin is on the stand (straight pole, heavy base) and you are in front of it at an arm's length away from the pitch antennae, can you get a zero beat setting?If so, then you don't really need to go poking the innards.You mentioned that [the] 'pitch rises sharply when I stand back 1-2 meters from the instrument'.As I recall, this is normal as moving back from the pitch antennae you will get: high to low (pitch) then silence (zero beat) then low to high (pitch).It's like a mirror image.

Thanks for the helpful replies!
Yes after some more time tampering with the settings, I'm able to get the zero beat setting and the response is more or less linear, I get about one octave with the closed hand-open hand exercise.

So I don't think I will mess with the pitch tuning after all, while I think the volume circuit needs some adjustment: I have to set the knob all the way counterclockwise to have a decent response, and still there's that small glitch at low volumes, that doesn't happen when using a table or x-stand.

Anyway, I'll practice some more and get more acquainted with the Etherwave before opening it up.
When I do, I was also thinking of retouching the case with some oil or wax, just to make it a little less plain. The EW Plus case is almost bare wood, with only a transparent wax (I think)... I'll just be careful not to use any laquer or paint containing metals.

Posted: 8/13/2021 5:27:06 PM
Spider76

I went through more topics in the forum, just to get more familiar with the matter. I saved the most relevant posts, and I think it may be a nice reference to have them all in one place, so I'll copy-paste them below, with links to the relative topic.
Hope it's useful to others too.

==============================================================================

http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/27550/is-the-theremin-supposed-to-be-linear-etherwave

The actual version of the Etherwave Standard (if well tuned) is designed to have a almost linear range of 4 1/2 octaves, 2 1/2 above and 2 below middle C.

The problem is that pitch tuning and some other effects also affect the linearity. In order to obtain an optimal result (only valid for the Etherwave standard, other models have to be broken in a different way):
a) Do not try to play melodies in the first four weeks. You will most probably learn bad habits which will be hard to overcome later. Make only interval exercises in order to get familiar with the theremins physics.
b) Switch the theremin on but let the amplifier still off. Let the theremin warm up for about 15min so that the oscillators may stabilize. Have a coffee and a cigarillo.
c) Position yourself in front of the theremin, not in the middle, but facing the wooden part on the left of the control panel and step back as much as possible on this axis until you are able to reach the pitch rod only with an almost fully extended arm.
d) Coarse pitch tuning: adjust the pitch knob so that the theremin produces no sound when you have you right hand near your body.
e) Move your closed right hand near the pitch rod until you hear C4 (middle c). Open your right hand towards the pitch rod without moving the arm until you hear C5. This should correspond to an octave width of about 3" to 3.5".
f) Repeat the previous step with C5 and C6 as a verification.
g) Store this "default octave width" in your muscle memory. Repeat this some times with other tones and their octave in the C4 to C6 range. After some days of practicing this, we may continue and extend the pitch range:
h) Fine pitch tuning: Make an octave jump this time starting on C4 with the open hand and hear where you land. Above C3? Turn the pitch knob slightly clockwise. Below C3? Turn the pitch knob slightly counterclockwise. Repeat the jumps C5 -> C4 and C4 -> C3 and the fine pitch tuning until you get an equal octave space.
i) If you are familiar with this procedure of "octave equalization" between C5/C4 and C4/C3, make the same with C5/C4, C4/C3 and C3/C2. The lower you come, the more even slightest turns on the pitch knob will make effect. Adjust fine-tune it until you have really three equal octaves. The fourth one, C5 to C6 will then fit automatically.

Steps b, c, d and i should be repeated each time you want to play. Besides the warm-up phase, you will learn to tune your instrument then in a few seconds.

http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/33305/can-someone-give-me-an-idiot-proof-tutorial-on-how-best-to-do-an-internal-tuning-of-etherwave-standard

Here's the "Amos" technique for tuning the volume circuit:

Set the volume knob on the control panel to 3 o'clock. Stand as far to the right (pitch side) of the unit as possible, so you are away from the volume antenna. With the unit powered on and hooked up to amplification, reach over with the trimmer tool and start turning L11 through its range. Somewhere in the middle, you should hear a sound start to be audible, reach a maximum loudness, and then die off again. Turn the lug back to the point where the sound is loudest. This should put it in the correct range, to where the sound is silent when your hand approaches the antenna and them becomes louder as you draw away; additionally the Volume knob should be set correctly such that it controls not the actual volume but rather the hardness or softness of the volume curve; meaning how quickly the sound reaches maximum loudness as you draw your hand away. At the clockwise extreme it should have a brighter, sharper attack and at counterclockwise the volume should increase smoothly and slowly as you draw your hand away from the volume antenna.

Tuning the pitch circuit is really an art in itself. Roughly speaking, L5 controls the "top end" or the highest pitch you hear when you are touching the pitch antenna, and L6 controls the range, or how far from the antenna the zero point (zero beat, or silence) is located. I perform the tuning using a special wooden cabinet top with holes drilled above the variable inductors, because the presence or absence of the top influences the adjustments. It is more difficult when you have to perform the tuning with the cabinet top completely removed, and then listen to it again with the top in place to see if the tuning is still correct. Generally I find the top seems to influence the pitch downwards from what you hear with the top removed; if so in tuning it helps to "tune high" by a bit and then set the top in place to see if it falls into range. Here is my procedure.

First, listen to see if the pitch goes higher or lower as you draw your hand away from the pitch antenna. If it goes higher, adjust L5 so that the pitch descends through the zero point and then starts rising again; now it should be in the right direction. The next step is to grasp the pitch antenna and adjust L5 so that the frequency you hear is in the neighborhood of 3.8 kHz. L5 and L6 interact, so there will be a decent amount of back-and-forth between the two adjustments. Once you have the top end around 3.8 kHz, move your hand away and see where the zero point is located. It will likely be too close (too short a scale range); to adjust, stand at arm's length from the pitch antenna and reach over from the left to adjust L6. You want to adjust it so that the zero point is about an arm's length from the pitch antenna. Generally this involves turning the lug in L6 in the same direction as you adjusted L5 to get the top end.

NOTE: if the top is off the unit, you actually want to hold your right hand just about at the front edge of the wooden cabinet (~3 inches away from the pitch antenna) and adjust L6 until zero beat falls where your hand is, only 3 inches from the antenna. In my experience, this translates to about an arm's length when the top is put back on. The top kind of "stretches" the pitch field response by a large factor, which is part of why this whole tuning business is so difficult.

The first time you dial in zero beat, it will probably drive the top end higher than you wanted it to be, so go back to grasping the pitch antenna and turn L5 in the appropriate direction to get back in the neighborhood of 3.8kHz. Notice which direction it went (higher or lower) as a result of setting L6; and overshoot in the appropriate (opposite) direction to cut down on the number of times you have to go back and forth between the two adjustments.

keep track of any adjustments that you make.  Add a little tape flag to the top end of your tuning tool (and only use a plastic hex tool, not metal) so that you can see the rotations that you make and so that you can reinsert the tool in the correct orientation if you must alternate between inductors.  Make a sketch of your starting positions and record each change so that you leave a trail of bread crumbs to get back to where you were if necessary.

I've updated and annotated the schematic to match the 11-211J version of the main board, but if yours is a different version it will probably be close enough.  You can download it from here. (Errata: C21 should be 4.7uF like C22)

If you are just trying to recenter the pitch range then L6 is probably the inductor to start with.  This controls the frequency of the "fixed" oscillator, which is the one varied with the pitch knob. A minor tweak of this will usually get the zero beat recentered on the knob, although you will have to keep slipping the cover into place to really check where you are as it affects the frequencies quite a bit.

L5 adjusts the variable oscillator (the one whose frequency is influenced by the player) and this is trickier because this oscillator frequency has to be optimized with the actual resonance frequency of your particular board and antenna (the components have tolerances) . The bendable wire running above the grounded patch of aluminum foil is there to give the user a small adjustment without involving adjustment of L5 as long as it is still properly calibrated.  If L5 hasn't been touched, try to leave it alone unless tuning L6 doesn't do what you need.

And finally, remember that the cover must be in place for the final evaluation, and in fact the screws will affect things a little as well.  But don't replace the screws every time that you want to slip the cover back on to roughly check your tuning - you'll wear out the holes.  It can be a tedious process but as you proceed you will probably find that you will learn how far off the tuning should be with the cover off for it to be correct with the cover on.  I beat the system by building an identical "tuning cover" complete with embedded screws and access holes over the inductors.  But even that isn't a complete solution, because different wood affects the tuning a bit.

http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/26425/does-it-matter-if-you-tune-the-etherwave-std-pitch-pots-way-in-or-way-out

You have to imagine that L5 and L6 are not pots but coils. Adjusting the slugs allows to vary their inductance by +/-10% which makes vary the frequency by +/-4.8% or +/-14kHz.
Since you hear only the frequency difference between both oscillators, there seems to be no difference between the different slug positions, but there is, since the working point of the variable oscillator has also an impact on pitch range and linearity:
The more the inductance of L5 is high (clockwise), the more the higher octaves are slightly compressed compared to the middle octave C4 to C5.
The more the inductance of L5 is high (clockwise) AND the antenna wire is far away from the aluminum foil ground plate the higher the maximum audible frequency (top of the pitch range).
The more the inductance of L5 is high (clockwise) the more the oscillator becomes unstable and more dependent from the ambient temperature. Sometimes it will even not start (no audible sound) until you touch the pitch rod for a moment, especially if the ambient temperature is low. Or the frequency will sometimes jump when you play in the lowest register.

So the first tuning principle should be to keep the inductance of L5 as low (counterclockwise) as possible and just as high as needed in order to obtain the desired highest audible frequency after having bent the wire in the right way. But be aware that the linearity will get worse with each halftone that you add.

http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/28808/adjusting-etherwave-for-pitch-linearity

You may smoothen the volume response by turning the volume knob counterclockwise. If that is not sufficient, you should slightly increase the frequency of the volume oscillator. This is done by adjusting L11. If it's the old model with the "normal" slug turn it 1/12 turn wise counterclockwise. If it's the newer variant with the hexagonal slug turn clockwise.

Close the cover after each tuning step, let the instrument warm up for a few minutes and turn the volume knob to its center (12 o'clock) position. You are done when you obtain maximum volume with your hand around 6"/15cm above the volume loop. Then check the operation of the volume knob without a hand near the volume loop by turning it slowly counterclockwise. The max volume should go down when you are around 9 O'clock. On the other side beyond 3 o'clock, the volume response should be snappy again. Then you are able to adjust it perfectly to the desired behavior within these positions.

Tuning the pitch side for best range and linearity has already been discussed in public here on TW. In one of the ESPE01 topics you will find a conversation between Thomas Grillo, Wilco Botermans and me, containing lots of practical hints from experienced "tuners" which give far better results than Moog's original tuning method.

http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/27704/is-this-how-it-should-be-tuned

Q:
Actually, today I did the tuning all over again. I made notes for myself to be able to repeat the procedure if needed. Please check if you agree

1. Remove wooden cover. (This will alter the apparent tuning, but I compensate for it as described below.)
2. Set the Pitch control to its center position.
3. Hold antenna with one hand, and adjust L6 with the other hand until zero beat is reached.
4. Rotate L6 clockwise until the audio frequency rises from zero to approximately 4.2 kHz.
5. Let go of antenna, and pull hand away slowly until it's about 9 cm from the antenna (as far as the rightmost edge of the front panel of the instrument is from the antenna). Does the audio frequency then go down continuously to zero or some very low frequency?
6a. If yes, tuning is finished.
6b. If zero beat is reached before 9 cm, and frequency starts rising again, rotate L5 counterclockwise and start again from step 3.
6c. If zero beat is not reached at all up to 9 cm from the antenna, rotate L5 clockwise and start again from step 3.
7. Replace wooden cover. This "stretches" the intervals so that zero beat will now be reached a lot further away from the antenna than 9 cm as used above.

With this tuning method I was able to get the result I wanted.
NOTE: Step 4 differs from what the manual is saying! This makes me wonder. If I do as in the manual, i.e. rotate L6 COUNTERCLOCKWISE after finding zero beat, my tuning ends up being reversed so that pulling my hand away from the antenna will RAISE the frequency (with no zero beat in between)! (Is this a typo in the manual?)
Also, I found today that the 3 kHz recommended in the manual isn't high enough. When I use 4.2 kHz instead, I get an usable range of up to C at approx. 2.1 kHz, which I can play with my fingers still a couple of cm from the antenna, and the upper octaves aren't so compressed anymore. If I tune for 3 kHz as described in the manual, I find that I must keep my fingers very (read: inconveniently) close to the antenna to reach C at 2.1 kHz.

Thierry:
The absolute position of L5 affects range and linearity That's why I always tell people to not to touch at it!!!).The 1 or 2 top octaves remain still somewhat compressed by design, absolute linearity is not possible with the E-Standard.

The tuning method described in the manual is very basic, but it has the advantage that it will however work.
With this basic method you may get a 90% result in 10% of the time compared with more sophisticated methods which is not too bad.

When you tune it for about 3kHz when holding the pitch antenna, you match the range of older Etherwave theremins which had other linearization coils and thus were designed to have a playable range of only 2.5 octaves above middle C ~1.620kHz.

Tuning it for 4 to even 5kHz (the latter gives still a little headroom above C ~2.160kHz up to Eb or E) is ok with newer production runs where the windings of the linearization coils are divided by three in order to reduce parasitic capacitance.
Do not go higher although it seems possible with this method, you risk that a too high resonance current through the linearization coils will virtually shorten the oscillator's tank circuit and overheat the transistors to death, especially when there is a low antenna capacitance, i.e. when you walk away some meters from the instrument.

There is no typo in the manual, it just hadn't been updated when the adjustable coils (L5, L6 and L11) where changed since 2003/2004:
Older Etherwaves have Japanese coils whose cores can be turned with a normal (plastic) screwdriver and which react in the classical way: Turning clockwise increased the inductance and the frequency got lower.
Newer Etherwaves have Chinese coils whose cores require a hexagonal tool and whose reaction is reversed: Turning clockwise decreases the inductance and thus raises the frequency.

http://thereminworld.com/forums/T/33204/seasonal-tuning-changes

Make sure you have a good earth-ground, more important than many realize.
There are two methods of re-tuning by not taking the cover off.
#1 - Send it to Thierry as the only one I trust in theremin repairs.
#2 - Use a gimmick wire like seen in the picture. This only works in one direction so you may get lucky. It is 50/50 that it will get better or worse. Dangle an eight inch looped wire at the base. Add or Trim to meet your need if it works.

Never touch L5 unless you have a scope, you will mess up pitch field linearity if not tuned to just above the antenna circuit.

http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/28555/etherwave-standard-module-installation

Hi, first thing I do prior to install, is to tune the instrument. Then I pull the board, do the install, and then I let the instrument warm up fully, then put the tuning lid on (has holes over inductor adjustments). Once she's warmed up for half an hour, I do the "quick retune", and then I roll up the sleeves, and get to work going back and forth between the L5 and L6. I'll start with L5 by giving it enough turns to go up an octave, then I go back to L6, and bring in zero beat, but back to L5, and up an octave again, and back to L6 for zero beat. I'll repeat this back-and-forth several times, with each time resulting in a higher pitch until I get at least a C or D in the correct octave range, and do a final zero beat adjustment. No scope used, just my ear. Before I started getting patient and doing the back-and-forth, I used to take L5 up into the nearly inaudible range, and then tried to get zero beat, but that resulted in even more work, so I settled on patiently doing the above method. There's also another method that works which involves touching the pitch rod and tuning for very high frequency, and then getting zero beat later.

Thierry:
Your "wet thumb" approach (without oscilloscope) is perfect for the Etherwave theremins, at least as long as you adjust for the highest tone at ~4kHz, which is 4 octaves above middle C (~260Hz). In that case you should hear a tone between the E and F above (~5kHz) when you touch the pitch antenna with one finger. Trying to go beyond that will lead to massive stability problems. Bending the wire a far as possible from the aluminum foil will not only make "high" tuning easier, it will also increase the tone spacing of the highest octave.

When I started tuning theremins (I practiced that on my own instrument), I killed the transistors of the variable pitch oscillator twice. Then I started checking for resonance currents and power dissipation keeping within reasonable limits. That way I found out with the years that your procedure will perfectly allow to remain in the safe area.

Posted: 9/1/2021 10:18:02 AM
Spider76

So I don't think I will mess with the pitch tuning after all, while I think the volume circuit needs some adjustment:

Just to follow up on this, I opened my EW+ and adjusted the volume inductor: some regulation was definitely needed!
It was very quick and straightforward, I just followed the instructions on the manual (see the end of post#1 in this topic):

Now instead of having to set the volume control all the way counterclockwise (and still having a very narrow volume field), I can set it at 12 o'clock and then expand or narrow the volume field at leasure, getting to zero volume at about 7-10 cms from the antenna (instead of the 2-3 I was getting before).

Much more relaxed playing! Now back to interval exercises....

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.