Claravox software editor tips, tricks, and successes

Posted: 12/16/2021 4:08:36 PM
Op106

I apologize if I am missing this discussion happening elsewhere. Now that more people have their hands on the Claravox, I thought it would be cool to start a thread where people could discuss the adventures we are having with the software editor. I am inexperienced in this field and don't have much to offer, yet, but would love to have a centralized discussion spot dedicated to the topic. I'm still just trying to find my way but I'll report back if I have any breakthroughs.

Posted: 12/16/2021 4:16:52 PM
RoyP

Well done for starting this thread.

Posted: 12/16/2021 4:39:19 PM
Gibarian

In case you don't have a Mac or iPad, you can run the editor in a macOS virtual machine, which is relatively painless to set up nowadays.
I'm running macOS big sur in VirtualBox [1] under Linux, generated with a script [2] that required no configuration to speak of. It downloads the installation image directly from Apple, so you don't have to resort to illegal and/or untrusted sources.

[1] https://www.virtualbox.org/
[2] https://github.com/myspaghetti/macos-virtualbox/

Posted: 12/16/2021 6:02:22 PM
RoyP

Ok, first off, I just want to say that to me, MIDI is an undiscovered country.

With that in mind, I have a couple of questions.

What is the relationship, if any, between the 5-pin DIN MIDI In/Out to the 1/4" Jack CV Pitch/Volume?
I was under the impression that the DINs could be simply plugged into a device with similar MIDI connections and that device could be controlled by the theremin.
That said, all videos or information I have come across pertaining to MIDI always seems to utilise the CV outs.

Also, back a wee while gingercat wrote on a different thread 'I did it manually using MIDI-OX via USB to send CC# data to CC# 108 and 110 - both need to be sent 64 to switch it on then set it to chromatic mode.'
Does anyone have any idea how to do that via the Apple Claravox app?

Thanks muchly!!!

Posted: 12/16/2021 7:59:25 PM
gingercat

Ok, first off, I just want to say that to me, MIDI is an undiscovered country.With that in mind, I have a couple of questions.What is the relationship, if any, between the 5-pin DIN MIDI In/Out to the 1/4" Jack CV Pitch/Volume?I was under the impression that the DINs could be simply plugged into a device with similar MIDI connections and that device could be controlled by the theremin.That said, all videos or information I have come across pertaining to MIDI always seems to utilise the CV outs.Also, back a wee while gingercat wrote on a different thread 'I did it manually using MIDI-OX via USB to send CC# data to CC# 108 and 110 - both need to be sent 64 to switch it on then set it to chromatic mode.'Does anyone have any idea how to do that via the Apple Claravox app?Thanks muchly!!!

CV = control voltage. Its probably the earliest standard for a way to interface parts of a synth. Its analogue and just outputs a changing voltage. Eg. an analogue synth has a VCO (voltage controlled osscilator) which is controlled via this voltage.

MIDI = Musical Instrument Digital Interface. From the name you can see MIDI is digital so nothing like CV. MIDI controls your instrument or makes changes to settings by sending codes rather than voltage. 

If you have an older synth or a modular or semi modular synth then CV would probably be an ideal way to control it. If you have a keyboard with MIDI then MIDI would be far simpler. just set up your synth, turn on MIDI in the Claravox and you're good to go. Notes are sent as discrete note codes with pitch bend info (sometimes) so your claravox pitch will be converted into something like key presses on the synth but might follow the smooth pitch changes from the CVox if your synth accepts that. On my Minilogue XD it just plays the notes as If I had ht a key on the keyboard. The portamento control on the synth makes the notes sound like separate key presses or more like a traditional theremin sound depending on where you set it.

Posted: 12/17/2021 10:57:57 PM
RoyP

Thanks gingercat.

The fog around the MIDI thang is starting to clear ever so slowly!

Now I'll have to figure out how to send CC# data via the Claravox app

Posted: 12/17/2021 11:49:13 PM
gingercat

Thanks gingercat.The fog around the MIDI thang is starting to clear ever so slowly!Now I'll have to figure out how to send CC# data via the Claravox app

You don't have to worry about it with the app - just change any setting and the app sends the right CC# change to the CVox. I only have to do it that way because I can't use the Apple app

Posted: 12/18/2021 10:50:23 AM
Mr_Dham

Hi,

I don't have a Claravox but I implemented MIDI on Open Theremin. I don't want to sidetrack this topic but that's the way I imagine that we would use MIDI on a theremin (and the one that I implemented):

MIDI CC:
We may assign independant MIDI CCs corresponding to hands position next to the PITCH ANTENNA (ROD) and to the VOLUME ANTENNA (LOOP).
e.g. Typically CC #7 is used for volume.

NOTE ON/OFF:
In MIDI standard, NOTE ON/OFF messages have a NOTE NUMBER and a VELOCITY. Let's consider a Fade-in / Picth Variation / Fade-out sequence (I use right handed convention):

- Fade-In
When left hand moves away from VOLUME ANTENNA (LOOP) and volume crosses a settable threshold, a NOTE ON is generated. VELOCITY can be fixed or depend on how fast left hand is moving. Right hand's position next to PITCH ANTENNA (ROD) determines the starting NOTE NUMBER and a Preliminary Picth Bend Message is sent before the NOTE ON in order to start at the right pitch.

- Pitch variation
When right hand moves next to PITCH ANTENNA (ROD), PITCH BEND messages are generated to reach exact pitch as long as pitch bend range will do.

- Fade-Out
When left hand moves close to VOLUME ANTENNA (LOOP) and volume goes under Volume trigger threshold, a NOTE OFF is generated to mute the playing note.

Pitch Bend range should be set wide enough to allow long glissandos, its 14bit definition should do to transmit pitch precisely.
It is up to designer to retrigger a new note at the limit of pitch bend range.

MIDI communication is not continuous (unlike CV that always reflect their physical value), it is rather event based (a message is sent when something changes)
MIDI was rather invented to connect polyphonic keyboards than monophonic continuous controlers (theremins, onde Martenot, ...). Then different approach are possible to work with continuous controler. Maybe Moog's approach is different here.

Posted: 12/21/2021 8:15:58 PM
gingercat

I'm still really keen to get the editor but don't have any of those fruit branded devices to run the app.

Can anyone one tell me what are the minumum specs I would need if I looked for a cheap ipad to to run it. I know nothing about ipads so have no idea what OS they have and if apps are downward compatible with older versions.

Posted: 12/28/2021 4:10:18 AM
johnthom

According to the MAC app store, to run the editor on an iPad you need one that supports iOS 14.3 or later.   That means that you would need at least an iPad5 which covers iOS 10.3 thru 15.  I decent iPad5, wifi-only, 32GB refurbished will cost around $200 depending on condition.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.