Most widely used theremin

Posted: 11/14/2022 9:37:34 AM
Seqpro3

Was wondering what the most widely used theremin was.And also was wondering what most people people pay although I’m sure this differs for many reasons just was trying to get a ballpark thanks. 

Posted: 11/15/2022 7:15:42 PM
dewster

I think just about every Thereminist has an Open Theremin.  Many of us have bought and then quickly sold the Theremini.  Most likely own an Etherwave or two.

Posted: 11/16/2022 8:37:14 AM
Seqpro3

Why was the theremini sold by most? Is it not sufficient for serious theremin players?Thanks was told by someone on the Moog forums to start on that one and then sell it. I would just 
Opt to get one that was more professional and not have to bother with selling. It seems like a small subculture that’s involved with this 
instrument. It seems to me that it takes a lot of dedication and perseverance. Thanks

Posted: 11/16/2022 1:15:31 PM
dewster

If you search the fora here you'll see a couple of relevant Theremini threads.  For instance, my unboxing and lab testing of the Theremini here:

http://www.thereminworld.com/forums/T/29392?post=205118#205118

Be sure to read further into that thread for Randy George's review.

And this:

http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/29283/moog-theremini?Page=0

That was kind of a bad experience for me here at TW, some took the constructive criticism of the Theremini way too personally and stormed out of here.  I get how one might appreciate the Theremini for being useful in certain scenarios, but it's marketed as an all-around serious instrument, which it is not, and that's not exactly an opinion.  Many read into the technical discussions of it a subtext of "you're an idiot if you like your Theremini" that absolutely was not intended, but no amount of explanation / placation would change their minds that we weren't bad faith actors, so whaddaya gonna do?  As FredM cautioned me, it may be the case that engineers letting their hair down in public do so at their own peril. 

Musical instruments are very personal things, but when they're made of plastic and electronics and software and such they're also just things that get manufactured.  Lately there doesn't seem to be a lot of R&D going on with any product, and you literally can't R&D something like a musical instrument too much.

Moog released an updated Etherwave for $800.  It's largely identical to the Etherwave plus, so I think the pricetag is a bit high.  I'd suggest you search the used market for an old Etherwave, or Etherwave plus if you want the control voltage outputs, perhaps the prices have dropped by now.

There are still new Claravox units to be had I think, but it seems like a mixed bag.  Many have volume leakage and stuck muting issues, and Moog is rather known at this point for poor software and firmware bug fixing.  Again, not slagging on Moog.

Posted: 11/16/2022 2:16:16 PM
Spider76

I think the most popular is the Etherwave in its various iterations.
Popular in the sense of widespread and easily recognizable: not because it's necessarily the best, but because it's been in production for decades at a very fair price/quality ratio, so there are tons of them around. Also, it carries the Moog brand, which is the most historical and prestigious in the synthesiser world - again, not necessarily talking about quality but about brand recognition, marketing and distribution networks.
Anyway, if you want to try a theremin to see if you like it or not without spending a fortune, your best chance is probably to find a used Etherwave.

Posted: 11/26/2022 10:11:36 PM
bisem

Why limit yourself to the most "widely used"?   As Dewster said musical instruments are very personal.  You may want to consider a Subscope which I have found to be very versatile and capable.  Last year I had Charlie Hobbs build me one of his theremins and quite frankly my other three theremins have been collecting dust ever since.  I am about to put my Claravox for sale on Ebay because it isn't relevant to me anymore. Unfortunately many of us have accumulated a collection of theremins before settling on a favorite that is a pleasure to play. This forum is a great resource for meeting owners of all the theremins available and chatting about the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Posted: 11/26/2022 11:46:57 PM
Seqpro3

I only know of five theremins total. I’ve never heard of a sub scope. You just taught me a new one. I limit myself since I need some realistic place to start since I know almost virtually nothing about theremins. I’m in your neck of the woods I’m about a hour 
Away from Pittsburgh. I’m a piano player that plays synths. I’m interested in the theremin. My background is in jazz. Played with Stanley turrentine once. Heard a recording of him on the jazz radio station last week. He was from Pittsburgh. Thanks for your reply. I recently saw Moog reissued the Minimoog for $5000 dollars. 6 years ago in 2016 they reissued the Minimoog as well.
So now there’s two reissues plus the orginal modelD and the voyagers. Which are called the Minimoog voyager. In six years the price has risen by $ 1500 dollars from $3500 to $ 5000. The Minimoog is the holy grail in the synth world. Similar to hoe the RCA
Is in the theremin world. Thanks for replying nice to meet you take care.

Posted: 11/27/2022 2:12:24 AM
RoyP

Seqpro3.
Hear this, there is no perfect ideal starting theremin.
They all are good/bad in their own way.
Whatever theremin you choose to start playing, there will be a VERY steep learning curve, no ifs, nor buts, no way out.
In your last post all that stands out for me is the $ sign, like the higher the cost the better.
Please re-read all of the posts before this one and assimilate.

Posted: 11/27/2022 2:24:20 PM
Seqpro3

What I do remember is how even the linearity is guess that’s what’s it’s called. Sone theremins have better linearity. Cost is not always relative to quality. I would suspect how well it calibrates is another factor . Maybe how sensitive it is to your gestures. Don’t know not really my forte. I would think the quality of the oscillators matters as well. Just guessing. Maybe how sensitive it is
To temperatures . Would think it would be similar to an analog synth. Maybe how well it shields from other radio frequencies. Maybe how  well and even the control voltage tracks over the various octaves. I know some theremins have a wider octave range and that you set the octave range. Just guessing 

Posted: 11/28/2022 8:51:55 AM
Spider76

My background is in jazz. Played with Stanley turrentine once. Heard a recording of him on the jazz radio station last week. He was from Pittsburgh. Thanks for your reply. I recently saw Moog reissued the Minimoog for $5000 dollars. 6 years ago in 2016 they reissued the Minimoog as well.So now there’s two reissues plus the orginal modelD and the voyagers. Which are called the Minimoog voyager. In six years the price has risen by $ 1500 dollars from $3500 to $ 5000. 

What does all of this have to do with theremins?
Honestly, all you do in your posts is mention theremins, and then change subject and start making lists of the gear you have/had/want.

The theremin is so different from any other instrument that there are not many useful suggestions that we can provide in writing.
Just find a used Etherwave and try it out. You will either resell it after a couple of days, or fall in love and start to put in the time (months, years) needed to learn it.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.