Moog Music Thread

Posted: 8/8/2015 10:32:52 PM
rkram53

Yea - Who knew a watch today would have more digital horsepower than the thing we sent to the moon.

The problem with MIDI is all $ now and vendor unwillingness to change to create better and more innovative instruments and tools. There's no excuse for 8 bit MIDI in a 64 bit world - but that's what we have to live with. 

But I'm loving my prehistoric CV right now.

Posted: 8/9/2015 3:42:12 AM
Jason

The Ethervox MIDI theremin supported 14-bit MIDI signals, and if you could find a synth that would respond to them, it was great.  But back then, most synths only supported the 7-bit version of the standard.

Posted: 8/9/2015 5:10:27 AM
dewster

"Yea - Who knew a watch today would have more digital horsepower than the thing we sent to the moon."  - rkram53

Those Apollo engineers were doing the best they could, but they would have pooped their pants if you handed them a ~$10 quad core >1GHz ARM processor of today.  The AGC is actually a home hackable project at this point:

http://www.geek.com/news/mega-project-build-a-working-apollo-landing-computer-1495169/

Love those "noun" and "verb" buttons!  I always have to laugh when people try to convince me that certain computing things which were done in the distant past would be impossible to do today.  "They put a man on the moon but they can't do X" is such a great line, more relevant with each passing day as the first moon landing was in '69, the computing stone ages.

Posted: 8/9/2015 1:04:00 PM
rkram53

Yea - you're right - it's only 7 bits. 0..127 parameters. I was giving it one more bit credit that it deserves! Even that one lousy bit would be welcome.

We can go to the moon but we can't create a theremin that plays itself?

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.