Let's show Bob Moog lots of love this August 21, 2015!

Posted: 7/30/2015 4:16:28 PM
ThereminCat

I hugged my Etherwave today... :,)

Though I already knew this and it's one of the reasons I chose the Etherwave theremin, this amazing Moog factory tour reminded me that the Moog Etherwave is the last theremin designed by Bob Moog before he passed.

Beginning to build them at age 14, his passion for the creation (and playing too! :) ) of theremins was unmatched except perhaps by Leon Theremin himself.

* UPDATE: I would like to know about what time/year the serial numbers start on the Etherwave Plus? Did they start over from #1 when the Plus was made or just continue with the numbers from the Etherwave Standard? I'm not saying mine (I'd consider giving an approximation) but I want to know if my beloved Etherwave Plus was around when Bob Moog was :)

I intend to write about Bob Moog every day until the 21st, is there a limit on the number of posts in a thread? I thought there was but the Theremini thread seems to indicate otherwise :D I do wonder (Rhetorically) why some people are so hard on the poor Moog Theremini? Clara Venice likes it :)

P.S. @Rkram53: Your theremin accompaniment tracks are great, would it be at all possible for you to put together a quick backing track for "Amazing Grace" for us to play for Bob Moog? :)

Posted: 7/30/2015 10:51:34 PM
rkram53

Maybe I can come up with an Amazing Grace accompaniment.  What's your poison? Maybe a string quartet? I have some solo string samples. Perhaps just piano this time. That will be faster for me to just play in.

Who invented the term backing track? Most of the time it's my theremin I want in the back!

Posted: 7/30/2015 11:08:31 PM
ThereminCat

Rkram53: Haha :D But I think piano would be great! :D Thanks a lot!

"Moog was a warm, outgoing man who enjoyed meeting people from all over the world. He especially appreciated what his wife says he called "the magical connection" between music-makers and their instruments." (http://www.gizmag.com/go/4477/)

"We will miss you, Bob Moog!" A beautiful tribute can be found at http://bluedistortion.com/bob-moog/

"Thank you very much, Bob Moog!" This article commemorated the 5th anniversary of his death. http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2010/08/21/thank-you-very-much-bob-moog/

"I dearly miss my brilliant and jovial friend Bob Moog, whose business card listed him as the Grand Poobah." http://blog.oup.com/2014/03/mark-vail-synth-pioneer-bob-moog/

(Image Source)

Posted: 7/31/2015 3:37:10 PM
ThereminCat

This is like a "this day in history" timeline, only what was going on at TW every year during the week of August 21st - preferably related to Moog... (I will update and fill in the gaps)

2005:

2006:

2007:

2008:

2009:

2010:

2011: http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/26618/broken-theremin---help-needed This poor Etherwave doesn't want to be sold... I understand, I have recently adopted a used one and will strive to be the most caring new owner possible :)

2012:

2013:

2014: http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/30443/my-theremin-anniversary Happy birthday to a beautiful Moog Melodia :)

2015:

Posted: 7/31/2015 5:58:06 PM
coalport

ThereminCat wrote: "......Moog Etherwave is the last theremin designed by Bob Moog before he passed."

TC, I think the last theremin designed by the late Dr. Bob was the Etherwave Pro. Unfortunately, because Bob was already seriously ill and knew that the prognosis was not good, the E'Pro was prematurely rushed to market before all the wrinkles had been ironed out.

Posted: 7/31/2015 6:07:46 PM
ThereminCat

Ah, I see. The video seemed to indicate that it was the Etherwave Standard? What was made first, the Standard or Pro? 

Coalport: Aww :( Then any shortcomings of the Pro should be forgiven, in my opinion :) Do you happen to know the answer to my serial number question above? And I've seen your insightful posts on the great impact Dr. Moog had on Clara Rockmore, repair of her theremin, and her coming out of retirement. Would you like to write something about that in this thread? Thanks :)

Posted: 7/31/2015 10:00:10 PM
rkram53

Hey TCat - Ssshh... Don't tell my Rabbi! :-)

Didn't have much time - too many other projects. Just a couple minutes of Amazing Grace. Here's basically what it sounds like. I'll post the accompaniment and score on IMSLP later - people can improvise any way they like to the melody. I could raise it up another fourth (or something) to make it go on a bit longer, but little point. It's just a short confection. There's a piano version in the score I wrote too - but it sounds better on strings.

Anyone can do up their own simple version easily. That could be interesting if all the composers out there did up a version.

Amazing Grace

Posted: 7/31/2015 10:45:54 PM
ThereminCat

Rkram53: Thanks! I won't tell :) Now I'd like to challenge anyone who wants to, to play "Amazing Grace" on the theremin and upload the audio/video here! I intend to play it soon but you know I just got my theremin recently! :) I'm happy to be able to play melodies and be mostly in tune, especially with accompaniment. My Etherwave and I have instantly become close, if I ever disappear from here for a few days be assured i haven't forgotten my friends here at TW! :D

And it would be wonderful if someone could upload/share a recording of Bob Moog playing "Amazing Grace"!

Posted: 7/31/2015 11:14:33 PM
rkram53

I'll try posting the accompany later tonight.

Rich

Posted: 7/31/2015 11:27:07 PM
coalport

There was a time when all that Big Briar (later Moog Music) manufactured were Etherwave theremins. That was it. Bob then expanded into making more sophisticated theremins like the SERIES 91 instruments followed by the MIDI Ethervox. The company got into serious financial trouble at one point and was saved from bankruptcy by the Moogerfooger. The Etherwave Pro came long after the Etherwave Standard, Etherwave Plus and Etherwave kit.

Bob had a deeply mystical side to him which, like many scientists, he rarely discussed openly because it exposed him to ridicule and there was nothing to be gained by it.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.