grrrr, i cant believe i missed it.

Posted: 10/27/2006 3:29:42 PM
buddycraigg

i just discovered the theremin on 10/24 and i'm crazy about it, had i known just a week earlier, i could have seen Pamelia Kurstin October 17 Kansas City @ the Brick
Posted: 10/27/2006 3:47:44 PM
TomFarrell

Don't feel too bad. Shortly before I discovered the Theremin, Lydia Kavina gave a concert at Jordan Hall in Boston, which at the time was a block from my home.
Posted: 10/27/2006 8:22:38 PM
buddycraigg

sucks to be us.
Posted: 10/28/2006 1:13:21 AM
Jeff S

Actually Pamelia and Barbez never made it to their Kansas City, MO show at The Brick. It seems they had problems with their van on the way there.

I understand that Kip Rosser will be in town (Kansas City) in November. I don't believe he is scheduled to give any formal performances that I'm aware of.
Posted: 10/28/2006 3:28:57 PM
buddycraigg

well that makes me feel better.
Posted: 10/29/2006 8:38:53 AM
schielenkrahe

Jeff S and BuddyCraig:

I'll definitely be performing when I'm in Kansas City, but in an unusual way. Moog Music has asked me to demonstrate/play the theremin at the annual convention for the American Music Therapy Association. So, it'll be much different from doing concerts or stage performances, but there'll be music and a lot of other stuff related to using the theremin as a tool in a therapeutic settings. Either way, it's going to be fun. I'll be doing it for three solid days, pretty much like a nine to five job ( my idea of a perfect career ). An added bonus is that I'll meet up with Kevin Kissinger during off hours, plus I'm spending an extra day out there so he and I can play together. Kevin visited me here in Pennsylvania last May and we had a great time. He'd recently finished his composition, Meteor Mallets, which he played for me LIVE -- what a workout!

By the way -- more ridiculous new animations and theremin musings are being posted (about 2 or 3 per week) at www.performancekr.com/d
Posted: 10/29/2006 12:05:33 PM
GordonC

Apologies for taking the thread briefly off topic but...

"using the theremin as a tool in a therapeutic settings"

Will there be a report I can read afterwards? I have a dual interest in this - part of my reason for taking up the theremin was therapeutic - I have M.E. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_fatigue_syndrome) and I find that playing the theremin is a great way of alleviating my muscle pain and clearing a foggy mind. I am also curious as to how it might be applicable to epilepsy - my wife works for the National Society for Epilepsy and is always happy to pass on ideas and suggestions.
Posted: 10/29/2006 2:10:42 PM
buddycraigg

schielenkrahe>
i scanned through the flyer.
it looks like it costs for everything.
is there a free option for a slouch like me to just come in a check things out?
what all would still be going on after 5 pm? (i work until 4:30)
Posted: 10/29/2006 9:33:09 PM
Jeff S

Thanks Mr. Rosser. I was hoping you'd jump in. What I meant was I didn't think you'd be performing for the general public purely for entertainment purposes.

I visited a website last week about music therapy. It was suggested the theremin, while "playable" by anyone, is probably not the ideal instrument for the severely handicapped because of the difficulty of creating actual music with it.

Mr. Charlton...if it's any consolation, I've never gotten the impression your mental acuity is adversely affected by your condition in the least.

As I mentioned some time ago, playing the theremin can sometimes induce in me an intense feeling of relaxation and well-being. At the time, I described it as a "high". I would imagine mediation would produce the same sort of sensation.
Posted: 10/30/2006 4:06:45 AM
GordonC

Why Mr S, you're too kind. Some days I'm Pinky, and some days I'm The Brain. Guess which days I don't post on the forums.

[i]narf[/i]

[i]zort[/i]

[i]poit[/i]

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.