Hands Off 2011 - 29 July to 1 August 2011

Posted: 6/6/2011 9:44:18 PM
Jason

Fred, best wishes for a quick and complete recovery!!!
Posted: 6/12/2011 11:20:50 AM
omhoge

FredM, I'm sorry to hear about your health. I was wondering why your posts were getting shorter :~) but to hear you say the theremin seems unimportant is stunning. It sounds like a serious life shifting phase and I hope, and bet, the theremin will be part of it all again as you progress in your recovery.

GordonC thanks for posting the latest registration link here (http://www.thereminworld.com/news.asp?s=1022)!

Does facebook help a lot, better than having a dedicated siate/page for the event with all the details? The entry in your blog (http://theremin.tv/hands-off-2011/scarborough-uk/) seems pared down too. Is web viral marketing working or is your personal email and blog giving the best results? Does having links in blogs like these help your SEO?
Posted: 6/15/2011 10:54:24 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Thank you all for your kindness.

Peter, the diagnosis of "failure" is the only diagnosis which has been verified - My ECG clearly shows this (I trust electronics far more than I trust doctors! ;)..

In itself, heart failure sounds a lot more scary than it really is - it simply means that the heart was unable to pump a sufficient volume of blood to the body, and sustained injury in its attempt to do so.. In my case it appears that some other failure/s preceded (and caused or exhasibated) the cardiac failure.. I became ill prior to the cardiac failure, and have a record of blood tests going back to 2006 which show the problems developing (I have been becoming anaemic and liver function has been deteriorating) but these tests were not looked at by my doctors [I have been advised to sue the doctors] , and I was never alerted.. Whatever is causing this anemia caused my cardiac failure...

The medication I am on now is improving blood flow to my heart - damage has been done, but there are possible 'fixes' (bypass op for example) so I am not too worried about it.. The more important issue is getting a diagnosis and fix for the 'main' problems.. Hearts are quite simple mechanical organs.. The liver and endocrine system is much more complex.

As for me being "AAAAA" type - I now wonder a bit about what has 'driven' me .. I have had many episodes of feeling 'strange' over the last few years - put much of it down to my diabetes, and forced myself to keep going when I just felt like collapsing... I have had a HUGE "personality" change as a result of recent events... I think that this might be because I now have an 'excuse' to go easier on myself - a "serious" medical condition rather than something nebulous or 'common' like diabetes .. LOL !

My 2nd grandson was born a month ago, and I intend to spend as much time with my children and grandchildren as I can from now on ..

It is quite unlikely that I will ever get back to the insane devotion to theremin development which has consumed me over the past four years.. I have all the designs done, many ready to 'roll'.. I am inclined to just package it all in a .zip and post it to TW or Element-14.. But some folks who lent me money are telling me to hold off on this action, as I might get back to it if I get well enough...

Fred.
Posted: 6/18/2011 9:46:27 PM
Thomas Grillo

Fred. I wish you all the best for a quick recovery. Congrats on the 2nd grand son.

I do hope you can make it to HO2011, even if as a spectator.
Posted: 6/19/2011 9:45:50 AM
omhoge

We're going wayyy off topic sorry Gordon. But it sure isn't the first time :-)

1 --------
Fred, oh man Life Balance, right on! Congratulations too. You have a lot to share with the kids and grands. Who else is going to teach them about this magical thing called a Theremin? Are you starting yet on building one for the latest addition?

2-----
Gordon, your HO web site is great, good work and again kudos on how you've grown the event and kept it going! Great line up - so wish I could be there.

Posted: 6/24/2011 4:47:39 AM
GordonC

No problem at all about going OT - we all love Fred and any opportunity to wish him well is a good reason to go OT. :-)

Anyway, the news is...

If you want to attend Hands Off 2011 - and with the line-up we have, you certainly do want to - you should book before the end of June to be in the raffle. We have a couple of amazing prizes - a Moogerfooger of your choice, generously donated by Source Distribution, Moog's official UK distributors, and a Burns B3 Deluxe theremin, equally generously donated by soundslikeburns.com.

So, to find out more about our planned events and activities

(which will include masterclasses and workshops with Lydia Kavina, Barbara Buchholz, Carolina Eyck and Thorwald Jørgensen, and talks from Dan Burns and Thomas Grillo, Source Distribution's Moog experts (with a free discount voucher for Moog products for all attendees) and Thierry Frenkel (who will be available to repair and enhance your theremin, or install his amazing etherwave mods that you can buy from his official distributor - Wilco Botermans, who will also be there!)

and to book online, please visit http://theremin.tv now.
Posted: 6/24/2011 5:53:33 AM
coalport

Gordon, this year you have outdone yourself! Not an easy thing to do when your organization, ideas and presentation of past HANDS OFF events has been so creative. Yes, the line up is great, the website is beautiful and the whole thing looks like it is going to be wonderful fun.

"Leon Theremin was a cousin of her grandfather....." What? Not a great niece? Not a great granddaughter? Not even a "kissing cousin"! Of course if she were a great granddaughter of Lev, that might make her Pyotr's sister and the fecal matter would hit the pitch antenna!

Posted: 6/24/2011 11:21:51 AM
GordonC

Credit for the website and much of the organisation has to go to my co-conspiritor "Cap'n" Ants Springall, who is based in Scarborough and has borne the brunt of this year's HO event.
Posted: 7/1/2011 5:20:44 PM
GordonC

Coalport - you are right! It is going to be amazing. I've just got off Skype and Cap'n Ants has just told me about the evening entertainments that he has been in sole charge of. Complete credit to him. :-) The details will be going up on the website over the weekend, so come Monday or Tuesday please do visit the website again.

Just one tiny hint for now... In Bram Stoker's novel, Dracula, where was The Demeter wrecked?

Here, let me Google that (http://www.google.com/search?q=In+Bram+Stoker's+novel,+Dracula,+where+was+The+Demeter+wrecked) for you.

Posted: 7/7/2011 4:42:28 PM
captain_ants

Ahoy! :)

Just a quick theremin world hello...

[b]"HELLO!" :D[/b]

Wishing Fred a steady recovery...and belated congratulations on the new addition to the family :)

Thankyou Coalport and Gordon for your kind words regarding the website and the plans for the evening concerts and trips out that are organised for Hands OFF! 2011. :)

It's a total privilage to be able to help with the organisation of this very rare gathering of the world's top virtuoso thereminists, technicians, enthusiasts and lovers of the theremin over here in Scarborough, UK. :D

Keep an eye on http://theremin.tv over the coming days for more detail of what's happening on each day and night of the long weekend of Hands OFF! 2011. 29th July - 1st Aug.

[b]RCA Theremin...[/b]
The technically minded, and those of you who like to get down and dirty with the soldering iron, may appreciate the knowledge that we have aquired all the parts for making an RCA valve Theremin... bar the large coils that is... so any help with this particular Hands OFF! 2011 project would be gladly accepted... ;)

We are accepting Sponsors for the Hands OFF! 2011 Concert program and the Hands OFF! 2011 Symposium 'what's on' booklet. email or message me for details. etc.. as well as being in print you will be able to download and share. so coverage and exposure will be world-widespread :)

Press and Media please get in touch so we can better know you and your technical and audio requirements before you arrive.... There is internet at all main venues.

Speak more soon!

Yours

Cap'n Ants! :D
Volunteer
Hands OFF! 2011
http://theremin.tv

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.