UK Thereminisation! (Brits - do you fancy a get-together?)

Posted: 5/24/2006 8:25:42 AM
GordonC

I have just snail-mailed the Musical Museum (http://www.musicalmuseum.co.uk/) in Brentford to see if I can go talk to them, (and see and play Musaire's RCA Theremin (http://www.musicalmuseum.co.uk/musair.html).) (He was the guy with the theremin on Blue Peter in 1982 if you recall.)

Reason I want to talk to them is that this strikes me as an absolutely ideal place for having a bit of a meet-up, and possibly even more - from what I can see of their facilities they could cope with anything from a small group of us meeting for an afternoon and chatting right up to a full-blown rehearsal and public concert.

They are closed to the public at the moment, hence my reason for writing to them, and I have the impression they are not quick to respond to enquiries, so in the meantime, if you have any interest with meeting up with other UK thereminists for a bit of a pilgrimage or something please post to this thread. I'd love to be able to turn up and tell them there is a lot of enthusiasm!

:-)
Posted: 5/24/2006 9:51:32 AM
J_D

Great idea Gordon - especially for those of us green with envy about Ether Music.

I'm certainly up for it, though I live in Scotland, so the more advance notice I can have, the better.

I can imagine a mini-Ether Music event (possibly with support of Moog, Turnkey, NoWonderland or Sound Control) - workshops, concert / open-antennae session, lots of chat, and maybe a film.

Fingers crossed....
Posted: 5/24/2006 11:02:43 AM
GordonC

Oh there'll be plenty of advance notice. I have no intention of rushing into this!

Glad to hear you're excited, but don't let your imagination run away with you just yet - I've organised stuff before, and my experience is that it is best to start off small and simple, and just see how it goes.

Posted: 5/24/2006 11:31:08 AM
GordonC

I have added a place marker to the thereminworld frappr map to show where the Musical Museum is.

Go here: http://www.frappr.com/thereminworld, click on the Places tab (it's under Map Markers on the right hand side) then click on Musical Museum to locate it on the map.

Posted: 5/24/2006 12:06:08 PM
J_D

Yes - there probably aren't enough of us to justify a big event (unless lots come out of the woodwork), but we can always dream!

Posted: 5/24/2006 12:39:55 PM
zakiman

would be great to see some people who can play the theremin! A mini english ether music would be great! my theremin hasnt arived yet!!!!
Posted: 5/24/2006 2:37:03 PM
GordonC

Well a mini-ethermusic would be an option, it takes a heck of a lot of organisation to put on an event with so much different stuff, but it could be a long term goal I suppose. What I don't want to do, however, is set up in competition with the big boys - that sort of thing can generate ill-feelings.

One of the things I have in mind as a second step might be to find a long weekend and an isolated church hall or some-such (with electricity, local B&B and a Chinese takeaway nearby) and seeing if we can come up with a short piece of ensemble music between us.

But one thing at a time! First lets see if there's enough interest for something very simple, like a day-trip to Brentford.

Posted: 5/25/2006 4:26:50 AM
theremind

I am interested! as long as you are willing to accept non-brits as well. (-:
robert /germany
Posted: 5/25/2006 4:51:23 AM
GordonC

Well yes, why not?

It hadn't really occurred to me that people might want to travel that far, but sure. Perhaps during the summer holidays would be sensible, so folk would have the option of making it a small element of a longer vacation.

Posted: 5/25/2006 5:15:34 AM
Charlie D

This sounds like a really cool idea Gordon! I'd love to come, irrelevant of how elaborate the get-together was.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.