[UK] Bristol Harbourside Festival - She Creatures

Posted: 7/26/2006 5:05:20 PM
GordonC

As mentioned in another thread I'll be going to this.

Here (http://www.bristol-city.gov.uk/ccm/content/Leisure-Culture/Arts-Entertainment/edf-energy-bristol-harbour-festival-2006---29-30-july.en) is all about it.

Here (http://www.bristol-city.gov.uk/ccm/cms-service/stream/asset?asset_id=11665001&) is the pdf programme. On page 8 is a map. At 12 noon on Saturday be in the centre of Queen Square along with various friends and family.

By 3:25 we will have progressed to the Amphitheatre Music Stage to hear the She Creatures.

I'll be wearing that cap.

Posted: 7/30/2006 1:40:02 PM
zakiman

how was it??
Posted: 7/30/2006 4:05:20 PM
GordonC

Pretty good. Come 3:25 I left the family and friends watching the circus acts and strolled over to the amphitheatre to take in a half hour of young ladies in silver lurex and big blue hair pumping out fairly high speed power pop with a sci-fi motif. They're a pretty tight band.

As I suspected this was not theremin led music. Mostly a few simple strokes to add texture into the mix. The last piece, Space Madness, did have a melodic theremin intro (that is not on the myspace version), played chicken-peck style with a very short pitch field.

Afterwards a couple of the band came to the barrier to chat with their friends. And to make me feel my age...

I asked one of them if I could say hi to Ultraviolet (bass and theremin). "Are you her Dad?" Humph! Pointed to my cap. "Oh, Theremin Man. Yes."

Had a nice chat. Yes, her pitch field has vanished of late. So I could pass on a few tips - It's the heat throwing the circuit off, you'll need to open it up and tweak it, - try playing backhand instead of chicken peck for better control, - try using a simple echo box. Yes, that will make it more science-fictiony.

Mentioned "Hands Off" - instant reaction was "I'll be there."

Very encouraging. :-)

Posted: 8/1/2006 12:18:27 PM
zakiman

just remeber who told you about them!!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.