Should I or Shouldn't I????

Posted: 10/20/2008 12:56:53 PM
hypergolic

I may be contacted by a local TV station for their morning news, as one of their employees knows me, and has been after me for some time to do a demo, especially now that Halloween is coming up soon. What if I am asked to play, goodness forbid, SPOOKY music???

Quandry time......promotion of the instrument by any means vs. artistic standards.

Should I or shouldn't I????

Opinion?

Thanks!

Philip Neidlinger

Posted: 10/20/2008 4:03:45 PM
Thereminstrel

Hmmm ... I can see the quandry you face. It's an excellent opportunity for bringing the theremin to the attention of many more people ... but not necessarily in a way you feel comfortable with.

The media have pigeon-hole mentality, and are only able to visualize a theremin segment in a "spooky" context. I certainly don't think that thereminists should take themselves or their music too seriously ... but give them an inch and they'll take a yard, shifting you from spooky music, to spooky voice/laughter, and probably end up with you drenched in fake blood if you don't draw the line early on!

Perhaps a compromise: do 5 seconds of "spooky" sound effects, talk briefly about how the theremin was used in old sci-fi and horror films, but then say that since Hollywood hijacked the theremin in the 50's its versatility as an instrument has been sadly overlooked; then show just how wonderful it CAN sound ... easy, with your fabulous theremin!

Don't agree to anything that will make you cringe when it finally airs ... or you're likely to regret it. And, above all, remember that whatever you say/do during the interview, they'll probably edit into something you scarcely recognise with all manner of "spooky" camera effects.

Personally, I'd rather rip out my left eyeball and feed it to a small dog!
Posted: 10/21/2008 5:18:50 AM
Pascal

If the media wants to have spooky music.Then spooky music they will have.From you or from someone else.Maybe you can find a middle way by playing a spooky song.Instead of just spooky sounds.Songs like:"Soul Dracula"(Hotblood)or the theme song of "Bram Stokers:Dracula".It,s just an idea.
Posted: 10/21/2008 11:44:54 AM
omhoge

Yes.
You should.
Spread the Aether!

15 minutes of fame here you come!
Good Luck, have fun.
Keep us posted.
Posted: 10/22/2008 8:24:17 AM
hypergolic

I am less uptight about it than I used to be, and I do LOVE to have fun!

Philip
Posted: 10/22/2008 9:12:59 AM
omhoge

If they want scary theremin, I say crank it up and scare the poo out of them!

Yes, yes I confess I did play the Bach Toccata and Fugue in D minor on many a Halloween Sunday, back in my day.
There's nothing wrong with being popular and accessible once in a while. Even Leonard Bernstein (www.leonardbernstein.com) knew this when he started young people's concerts to build future audiences. And the goddess knows we thereminists *need* audiences!

Good luck, hope it works out.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.